Redline CV-2 Grease or Royal Purple 01312

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use it for my car wheel bearings, trailer and even suspension parts. I can't find much on the Royal Purple like I can for the Redline. So figured I ask here.

What grease have you been using??

The problem with Redline is compatibility. It can be really tough to flush out all the old grease - especially on anything with a boot. If you don't do a perfect job, you are looking at premature failure. After you start using RL, you will have to stick with it for the life of the components or try another flush.

You should look at using two different greases for bearings and suspension. The qualities that make a great suspension grease can be undesirably in wheel bearings. Besides a second can of grease doesn't cost much or take up much self space.

I am not a big Amsoil fan, but I really like their polymeric truck grease for suspension. M1 is a favorite around here, but it has a very thin base. Schaeffer 238 is amazing stuff but completely unsuitable for wheel bearings.

I've found that the Amsoil Polymeric OFF ROAD grease is GREAT for suspension/Roto Joints/ etc., especially in the hot summer where lesser greases will drop out due to extreme heat.

This stuff also quiets down/'cushions' all of the road race suspension parts I have installed, due to it's tenacious, thick, 'stickiness'.

I would NEVER, EVER use it in wheel bearings though!
31.gif

Thank you for replies. OK, you guys have raised a few more questions:

1) Why does Redline have an issue with compatibility? I never heard of that. (a lot I don’t know)

2) The idea about two different greases for bearings and suspension. I used Redline when I put my new wheel bearing in. Since I had an extra tube I used it for ball joints, my solid control arm bushings, tie rods, etc. So what properties make it an unsuitable suspension grease and what properties make a good suspension grease?

Originally Posted By: RoadRace
Thank you for replies. OK, you guys have raised a few more questions:

1) Why does Redline have an issue with compatibility? I never heard of that. (a lot I don’t know)

2) The idea about two different greases for bearings and suspension. I used Redline when I put my new wheel bearing in. Since I had an extra tube I used it for ball joints, my solid control arm bushings, tie rods, etc. So what properties make it an unsuitable suspension grease and what properties make a good suspension grease?

Due to the thickener used, not all greases play nice with each other. You will need to check a Grease Compatibility Chart before mixing greases.

For steering and suspension parts, you will want a tacky grease with a heavy base oil and EP additives - think moly bubblegum. For wheel bearings, you want a thinner base oil, high reversibility and a buttery texture.

I received a reply from Red Line that CV-2 grease uses a 'non soap calcium thickener'. I don't know exactly what that means so I'm waiting for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back