BUNN coffeemaker owners - need info please

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I think I'm going to go get the Bunn at Wal-Mart when I get off work. I'll post up my thoughts after my first pot!

John

Pick up a box or two of extra filters while you are there, Thet are taller than normal filters, and don't overflow due to the fast flow of water into the grounds. Helps avoid messes. Part of that small learning curve. Also follow the setup instructions exactly.

I'll do that. Thanks.

6DBD5BF3-A799-4448-8D49-09957934BA88-1200-000000AF1292F6BE_zps814703d6.jpg

Can't wait till I wake up in the morning and get to try it out!

I picked up a couple of gal. of the R/O-filtered water to brew with while I was at Wal-Mart, as well. I'm planning on always using filtered water in the unit, not only to produce the best flavor, but also to prevent any issues with mineral buildup.

66FC7DA5-437A-4784-9382-43CBAEFB0693-1200-000000AF1F70DC9B_zps4d264f22.jpg

Well, as I write this, I'm drinking my first cup of coffee from my new Bunn GR-model Velocity Brewer!

I brewed the minumum amount, 20 oz, and it turned out great. I used about 5 tablespoons of coffee - 3 regular, and 2 Hazelnut. Next time, I believe I can get away with using 1 less tablespoon of coffee.

None of the problems I've read about online (overflowing, etc.). Only took about 2 minutes to brew 20 oz!

The flavor of the coffee seems richer and clearer than with my old unit (of course, the old unit was a $30 Mr. Coffee that had never been cleaned, lol).

I'm pleased that it works fine brewing smaller amounts.

If I had any complaint at all, it would be that the coffee could stand to be a little hotter...but, that's really being picky, as the temperature is about perfect. If it were any hotter, it would have the potential to burn your mouth. But, I just like my coffee really hot.

Very happy with it so-far! Thanks, guys, for the input on this!

As I use it, I'll post up here my continued impressions.

Glad you like it, and your results will keep getting better. What brand of beans are you using. The Bunn will truly let you experience the differences in better grades of coffee, but the neat thing is even pre-ground Yuban tasstes good.

A tip from the learning curve, to keep it from ever leaking is to never pick it up by the neck. Always lift from below to move.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Glad you like it, and your results will keep getting better. What brand of beans are you using. The Bunn will truly let you experience the differences in better grades of coffee, but the neat thing is even pre-ground Yuban tasstes good.

A tip from the learning curve, to keep it from ever leaking is to never pick it up by the neck. Always lift from below to move.

Ha ha, honestly, I can't remember the brand of the regular beans I ground today, as I took them out of the paper bag they came in and threw them in an empty coffee can. I remember liking it, the first cup I had after buying it, though. The hazelnut is a brand called "Don Francisco" (pre-ground) that was fairly cheap (about $6) at Publix.

I'm constantly buying different brands and experimenting. Right now in the cabinet I have a can of Chock Full 'o Nuts, the Don Francisco hazelnut, and a can of the Maxwell House Master Blend, and some whole bean Millstone Breakfast Blend that I got for cheap, as the local Kroger has stopped carrying. After using some, however, I'm suspicious that it's old.

Good tip on only picking up from the bottom. I would not have known that. Thanks!

What kind of coffee do you like?

Like you I like to experiment. My current and almost out of, is Trader Joe's Organic beans from Honduras. I am going to TJ's later this week, and will see if they have anything new and interesting. Rarely do I buy the same thing twice in a row.

My recent experiment with preground Yuban was interesting. Obviously it is not from Arabica beans, as it provided quite the caffiene jolt. Cheaper Robusta beans have about double the caffeine. The Yuban had a nice taste, but intense.

My all time favorite is true Mocha Java. A custom roaster in Arizona had some last year and it was the best coffee I have ever had PERIOD. oldbisbeeroasters.com (no affiliation) if you are curious. But true Mocha Java is not availiable very often. Get on their email coffee news list and you can keep up with what is around that is very fresh current harvest. His coffee is never in the shop for more than a month, and it is roasted to order the same day, and shipped via USPS priority mail. Mine gets to KC in 2 days.Not cheap, not ootrageous, but always very good no matter what your order.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
About how much does a decent, middle-of-the-road home espresso machine cost? What's a good brand?

No idea. They can get pricey if you want to go that route, I guess.

I've been using a $70 Mr. Coffee one for a number of years and have been happy with it. Everyone that I made coffee for was praising its flavor.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-ECMP50-Espresso-Cappuccino/dp/B001EU9UTM

However, coffee from an espresso machine is a lot stronger than from a regular drip coffee maker. Some people like it. Others hate it. Personally, I love it, but I have mine 50:50 with warm milk.

It also requires fine grind coffee. I'm sure your grinder has an appropriate setting.

Don't try espresso machine, you will get addicted and will never be able to go back to regular coffee.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Don't try espresso machine, you will get addicted and will never be able to go back to regular coffee.

01.gif

As with any agricultural product, even coffee of the same brand and variety will vary over time. I actually rarely have coffee at home, but we brew at work on our own (a few of us) using the R/O water from our R/O cooler machines (Red Canoe brand) using coffee that we buy ourselves. Believe it or not, the most consistently good coffee has been Community Coffee (pick your blend).

It seems like a lot of people I know have converted to K-cups. If you want the most expensive up of coffee possible, there ya go!

Visited a friend for a few days and they had a Keurig, so I got a "taste" of Keurig coffee.

My friends had raved about the Keurig, and eagerly awaited my verdict on it. I was polite, but, yeah, no thanks. Didn't care for it.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Believe it or not, the most consistently good coffee has been Community Coffee (pick your blend).

It seems like a lot of people I know have converted to K-cups. If you want the most expensive up of coffee possible, there ya go!

Have used Community Coffee beans on many occasions. The Columbian Classico and once the Roastmasters Reserve. Very good consistent coffee. My truck even sports there license plate frames.

Eight O'Clock Columbian is a good option when I am feeling cheap or to lazy to go to TJ's (45 mile RT). K-cups are for lazy people IMO. McDonald's is my lazy coffee.

Much like liquor, the best coffee is the one YOU like the best. It will change with time.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Much like liquor, the best coffee is the one YOU like the best. It will change with time.

Indeed. As a long time coffee enthusiast (way before it was cool) I have been thoroughly smitten with more than one kind! Life is too short to drink common coffee.

I've come to the determination that this is a site of connoisseurs...on every subject!

smile.gif

Seriously, as a group, do we not research and seek out the best of everything? Well, at least the best value for our $$$.

Took Hermann's advice and picked up this timer at Wal-Mart last nite for about $15.

It's a 7-day timer, so I can program it to turn the BUNN on and off at different times every day. In fact, I can program it to turn off and on 16 separate times during the week. So, I could potentially set it to come on before breakfast, turn off after breakfast, then come on before dinner, go off after dinner, etc. Pretty cool. It also has a countdown feature, so I could set it to turn the BUNN off or on after a predetermined amount of time. Also has manual mode, so you can set "always on" or "always off."

F8EFA6C4-6AB8-4B80-B9F2-94FECE01B7BE-1426-000000DC527C9F36_zpsd8d81dbe.jpg

Also has a cover, so you can't tell it's a timer.

0CC8CFF9-6BF4-45B1-9805-DA3E5C8E91A0-1426-000000DFFB3C611D_zps27d270d4.jpg

Good catch Hermann. I used the keypad when typing numbers. I meant to write 190° instead of 160°. After I read your post, I checked my water temp with a thermometer and I got 190°
coffee2.gif

Well, after brewing several pots in the BUNN, I can report that I'm very happy with it.

Works exactly as-advertised, brewing a pot of coffee very quickly, with no bitterness.

I've found that, as others have mentioned, the high water temp that it brews with actually extracts flavors and nuances from the coffee that my old Mr. Coffee couldn't.

If I could use one word to describe the difference of flavor with the BUNN, compared with my old, regular Mr. Coffee unit, it would be "richness." The coffee from the BUNN is very rich and full-flavored, without being at all bitter.

Bunn offers a flow restricted spray head for some models to brew coffee the way connoisseurs prefer. Look on the parts form and look for the model. They do have one for the GRXB. It's cheap if I recall.
They sent me one free, although I get better results just blooming the coffee manually.

The BUNN I bought in 2013 and commented on here is still going! No issues with it, at all!

These days, when I have time, I’ll make a pour-over, but, most work days, it’s the BUNN.

Our go-to beans are still Eight ‘O Clock Coffee 100% Colombian and Dunkin Donuts Original. Always whole bean, ground immediately before brewing.

Wish other brands offered whole bean coffee in stores (We shop primarily at Walmart).

Back