center console gets warm

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 civic 1.6 ies driver side center console where the shifter is gets warm after 45 min of driving. could it be transmission or cat. converter related? highway mpg is 43, city 33.

Originally Posted By: civicist
2000 civic 1.6 ies driver side center console where the shifter is gets warm after 45 min of driving.

This is usually cat-related, and can be considered normal provided all heat-shields are in place.

Don't know what the emissions laws were like in Turkey for the 2000 model year, but it's entirely possible that you have an under-car cat, like we used to have.

I bet it is the CAT.

You are farther north and have a lot of water around the City.

It rarely gets as hot over there as it does over here in Southern California, so if you notice it, something is making the CAT hot. Either it's normal, too much fuel or maybe an oxygen sensor has gone bad.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Heat shield under the car shift position or go missing?

+1 I wouldnt doubt it rotted away.

BMWs have a rubber boot and a foam insulator. These are sometime just discarded during service, or put back incorrectly causing them to split. It's worth checking for a similar problem with your Honda.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Heat shield under the car shift position or go missing?

+1 I wouldnt doubt it rotted away.

You guys need to be a bit more careful reading: OP is in Turkey; little corrosion there.

I think the OP has an under-car cat and is noticing a normal phenomenon.

I know in Turkey there are a lot of places where they salt the road in winter; you might be right. Eastern Anatolia can get mighty cold, and around Bursa there is plenty of snow. Even Bafra can get snow.

There is literally a "heat shield" under the shift boot, which is about 4 inches from where you describe, is the shield missing? I removed mine on my 97 civic because it was rattling at idle but I never noticed heat, but then again being 6ft I don't rest my leg there while driving.

I doubt its the cat, at least in the USA the d16 catalytic converter is on the exhaust manifold itself, never heard of a D series civic world wide having a "under car" catalytic converter, but it could be because different emission laws....

My 2000 Civic always put out some heat from the parking brake opening if you put your hand in there after driving for a while. Didn't matter if it was fresh ATF or not.

And the D16Y8 does have the cat under the car. Whatever motor (Y7?) came on the DX/LX Civics had it in the front with the manifold.

Originally Posted By: wally6934
I do not understand this thread. Were in the world are cats put but under the car.

On some cars the catalytic converters are located very close to the exhaust manifold(s)/header(s) or may even be internal the exhaust manifolds. They aren't under the floorpan, but instead in the engine compartment.

Originally Posted By: wally6934
I do not understand this thread. Were in the world are cats put but under the car.

You mean "WHERE" in the world? "WERE" is the past tense of "ARE".

North America and some other parts of the world have extremely-restrictive emissions regulations that effectively require that the cat and the the exhaust manifold be one-piece. Some other parts of the world have less-restrictive regulations which still allow the cat to be sited under the car. Until the OP responds to this thread, I don't think anybody here will know what kind of regulations Turkey has.

Too much D16 fun for emissions, they require it to be after the manifold in the US.... lol
crackmeup2.gif

On a serious note the SLOWEST most QUIET car I have driven in is my stock d16y7 USDM 97 civic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of you were right. It is under the car. Somewhere below the shifter. I am the first owner of this car since august 2000 but started to experience this heat issue since last year. do you think that cat converter could be clogged or ceramic inside is broken?

How's the engine running? Is there any miss? If you have a fouled spark plug, you could be dumping raw fuel into the catalytic converter which will cause it to turn red hot, and may be causing the symptoms you are experiencing.

car runs fine. it gets tune up and maintenance much more often than manual says because of the city i live in. way too much dust because of dump trucks and almost extreme driving conditions due to crazy traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back