K&N and Mobil 1 Oil Filter change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that normal oil filters like Motorcrafts, PureOnes, SuperTechs, etc... are good for 4-5k miles of non-severe duty driving.

How long can I go w/ the K&N and Mobil 1?

I will bet you can go 7500-10,000 on any of the filters mentioned with no ill effects using a synthetic or Schaeffers blend. The oil does the work not the filters for 99% effort, IMO.

It all depends on your engine, its condition, driving style, type of miles, and oil used. the Pure One is nearly as effeicent as the Mobil1 and the K&N is more like the others in efficiency, just heavy duty.

It is so hard to pin down an exact number because even two engines of the same type might put out different wear metals depending on the person's driving style. I personally don't think filters are clogging up as fast as 3000 miles though, but I do believe the PureONE will clog up faster than most.

I am pretty sure the K&N would last quite a bit longer than the Mobil 1 before it fills up, simply because it doesn't filter down as small.

One area of concern is also with those filters that are horizontal and really need the antidrainback valves the most. If a filter is left on for a longer time period that antidrainback function might not be as effective anymore.

My plan with the cars in my "test fleet" is this. I will run the K&N filter on my 95 LT1 Firebird as high as 12k (the thing is HUGE!) and the filter on my wife's Honda (a 2000 Civic) should be good to about 9k. On my mom's car (94 Probe GT) I just installed fresh oil and a PureONE and will go one full year which should only be about 7 or 8k at most. I may change her filter partway through, depending on how her oil analysis results look ( I am sending them off this morning) On my sister's car (99 Civic) I'm going to be running an AC Delco filter, and I figure it should be good for 9-12k, especially since it is only really a 25-30 micron filter so it shouldn't fill up all that fast.

Patman, do have K&N's filter number for GM's oil filters p-35 or P-1218? I have an LT1 and like those biggins'.
lol.gif

this is a long shot, but do you have any oversize filter #s for Ford 4.6/5.4 modular engines?

The OE Motorcraft # is FL-820-S (I forgot what the AC Delco # is)

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
this is a long shot, but do you have any oversize filter #s for Ford 4.6/5.4 modular engines?

The OE Motorcraft # is FL-820-S (I forgot what the AC Delco # is)

Thanks!

I'm sorry but I don't know what the long filters are for these. Have you tried asking on the Corral to see if one of the 4.6 Mustang guys know?

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
good idea! will do, thanks again Pat!

When you find out, post it here, as I have a good friend in NJ who has a 97 Cobra convertible (in rare Pacific Green) who would probably want to go with the longer filter on his too.

Patman, Metro, Baldwin's catalog shows these specs for the Ford filter. Might help xref with other brands?

Baldwin B329
------------
Descriptions: Microlite Lube Spin-on
Contains: Anti-Drainback Valve, 8 PSI By-Pass Valve
Fits: Ford Automotive
Replaces: Ford F1AZ-6731-A
Thread: M22 x 1.5
O.D.: 3 3/4 (95.3)
Length: 3 31/32 (100.8)
I.Gskt: G381-A

David

it cross-references to AC Delco PF1250, which I believe is the stock replacement filter.

Metro, I was thinking of the specs, not the models. Maybe visit a store with catalogs, or con Patan into looking up an unofficial Purolator match. (They list size/threads/bypass/etc.) From there you can cross to other brands.

This is the only thing I can find in the Purolator catalog with an M22x1.5 connection and an 8-10psi bypass, it's the L24484, it's 3.15x4.01 in size. Anything else with that connection size has a vastly different bypass setting.

Cross references to:
AC Delco PF1240

Hmmm... very interesting - very close to the stock PF1250 part #.

I'll see if my local walmart carries this and I'll measure it at home.

Thanks Pat!

Actually if you have a 8 psi bypass, I would not be afraid going with an 11-14 psi on a larger filter. I have seen these values interchangable on different stock replacement filters. Again-only an opinion. You'll have to decide.

Turns out the 99-01 Acura NSX w/ the 3.0/3.2L V6 uses the PF-1240

Cross-references to Fram PH8212.

This is what I got off of the fram site:
 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back