DEXRON®-HP spec (GMW16974) published

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here comes the latest in ATF technology -- DEXRON®-HP. It is probably backward compatible with DEXRON®-VI. It's fully synthetic, possibly PAO-based:

GMW16974

DEXRON High Performance Automatic Transmission Fluid (DEXRON HP-ATF)

Material Description. This full synthetic base oil specification covers DEXRON® Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) primarily for use in General Motors automatic transmissions. This specification describes, in terms of laboratory and simulated service test results, the requirements for a minimum-performance fluid. The primary requirement is satisfactory performance in normally functioning transmissions under normal and severe conditions. Symbols. Not applicable. Typical Applications. This lubricant is to be used in GM automatic transmissions and other specified applications. Remarks. This specification may involve hazardous materials, operations, and equipment. This specification does not purport to address all of the safety problems associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this specification to establish appropriate safety and health practices and to determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use. This specification uses the International System of Units (SI) as standard per IEEE/ASTM SI 10, except for certain components which are commercially available only in American conventional units. This specification uses the Rounding-Off Method per ASTM E29 for significant figures to determine conformance to specification requirements. Unless otherwise noted, part numbers of this specification refer to those of General Motors Powertrain.

Edition: Issue 1; English
Publisher: GMW
Language: en;
Published Date: 2013-07-01
Document Number: GMW16974
Document Status: Current (Active)

I'm looking forward to this. Dexron-VI was a great improvement over Dexron-III H and was developed mainly for their new 6 speed transmissions. Wonder what the primary application for Dexron-HP will be.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
What do they mean by "minimum performance"?

Depending upon what kind of spec line item it is, there always is a minimum or a not to exceed requirement for the various parameters of interest. If they werent bounded, there wouldnt be a point to having a spec...

Bumping an old thread. I saw an owners manual lists Dexron HP as the fluid for the new Silverado 8speed transmission.

Anyone know any details yet about this fluid?

Just noticed we had some Dexron HP in our parts dept. the other day.
just wondering if anybody had any viscosity or other specs on this fluid yet.
BTW, the U.S. GM part # for quart bottle is 19300536.

Last edited:
I think I can help you with that.

KV 100C 5.95 cSt, KV 40C 28.1 cSt, BV @ -40C 5,000 cP, CCS -25C 978 MPa-s, CCS -30C 1520 MPa-s.

Minimum spec means that any fluid wanting to be approved as a DEXRON HP fluid must be at least as good as the original approved product in ALL respects.

At $25/qt, I don't expect it to be in stock in too many autopart stores or wallyworld.

I wonder if its backwards compatible with Dexron-6 for us that ski frigid mountains and travel around Canada/Alaska?????

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
At $25/qt, I don't expect it to be in stock in too many autopart stores or wallyworld.

I wonder if its backwards compatible with Dexron-6 for us that ski frigid mountains and travel around Canada/Alaska?????

Yes it is. The only problem is that the more normal DEXRON-VI you have mixed in with it then the more DEXRON-HP benefit you lose.

Whitewolf,
Thanks for the info.
I searched, but found nothing on it.
It appears to have no significant difference
in the 40-100C range of viscosity at least,
from Dex6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back