Windshield Wash fluid & white haze/residue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife drives a '02 Honda Odyssey and we have been using Michelin Stealth Hybrid wiper blades and really like them. Anyhow, lately I have noticed when driving the car that she has a whitish residue left every time we use the wipers with the washer fluid (use the regular store brand blue premixed washer fluid).

I have tried to change the fluid and scrubbed the windshield several times with various cleaners to remove and dirt, grime, and the prior applications of RainX and still get this white haze after using the washer fluid.

Is it the blades? Are they disintegrating or something? Or is it the fluid? I never had this problem with any of my other cars?

It's not the blade. Those are just basic rubber. When they wear out, they'll just streak and chatter.

I wonder if a contaminant has entered the washer system...

I did give the windshield a good clean with both Stoner's Invisable Glass as well as Rainx x-treme Clean which acts almost like clay for the windshield. The glass was clean, streak free and very smooth afterwards. However, I am still getting that haze after using the washer fluid.

I guess the next thing to try is to drain the washer fluid...any suggestions as to how to acomplish this?

Originally Posted By: Picky1
I did give the windshield a good clean with both Stoner's Invisable Glass as well as Rainx x-treme Clean which acts almost like clay for the windshield. The glass was clean, streak free and very smooth afterwards. However, I am still getting that haze after using the washer fluid.

I guess the next thing to try is to drain the washer fluid...any suggestions as to how to acomplish this?

Find out where the tank is and siphon it out. Alternatively, disconnect the tube and just run the washers -- it will pump the liquid out on its own.

I would suggest cleaning the window with something like rubbing alcohol, white vinegar, or even a clay bar.

And if you're looking for a replacement washer fluid....imo, it doesn't get any better than the orange Rainx stuff...it's all I'll use

Originally Posted By: Stang40
And if you're looking for a replacement washer fluid....imo, it doesn't get any better than the orange Rainx stuff...it's all I'll use

Only time I ever had white residue issues was when I used the orange Rain-X stuff. Left white spots that you could see sprayed from nozzles. It left the white spots on windshield washer arms, molding, paint etc. I drained tank washed with dish soap, reinstalled and went with the blue versions and have had no issues.

WAY back, I used to work at a Jiffy Lube part time and one unethical manager actually used water and added some blue Ty-D-Bowl cleaner for color to the bulk tank instead of spending money on the real stuff. I saw him put it in and asked [censored]? He said many places do that.

Cleaned the windshield & wiper blades with rubbing alcohol and drained the washer reservoir and refilled it with brand new basic blue washer fluid. The haze seems to be a lot better but not totally gone?

Could it be the windshield itself, it is the original windshield and the car has over 147K miles.

Originally Posted By: Stang40

Can't find the orange around here anymore, just the green Rain-X in gallon jugs, then the other non Rain-X stuff. And I liked the orange too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back