Honda FULL synthetic vs Mobil 1??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

For my NEW 2013 Honda Civic EX sedan with just 195 miles, I plan to switch to full synthetic
once I get to 6,000 miles.
Is Honda's full synthetic 0W-20 just as good as Mobil 1 0W-20??

Thanks

I think Mobil 1 AFE 0W20 is the best of the two.

Up in Canada, Honda 0W20 is PetroCanada, and not that great.

The TBN depletes very fast on the Honda oil.

Go with AFE or Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 as foolproof choices.

If you can find Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W20 that would be good too.

I personally like any Idemitsu 0W20 you can find, such as Mazda or Subaru 0W20.

I remember someone mentioned American Honda's current supplier, which isn't Mobil. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be OK, but if you can find Mobil 1 0W-20 at a good price, why not that?

Guys...is there one particular FULL synthetic 0W-20 that 2012/2013
Civics run super quiet and seem to be a great match for the engine? Or are they pretty much
all the same and just flip a coin?

Last edited:
Personally I have never heard an engine be super quiet on 20w oil. That oil is recommend for MPG's only. That whole approval stuff is [censored] anyway because the "real" synthetic oils aren't on anyone's list. Gee I wonder why that is?

Honda chooses a specific oil to maximize MPG's like everyone else.

Does it actually have to be a 0w20?

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
Guys...is there one particular FULL synthetic 0W-20 that 2012/2013
Civics run super quiet and seem to be a great match for the engine? Or are they pretty much
all the same and just flip a coin?

I think that you'll have to experiment with several brands of 0W20 oils to see what you and your car like. Oils from:

Mobil 1
Honda
PP/PU
QSUD
Maybe TGMO or Mazda 0W20 too!

My Mazda 3's 2.0 with direct injection runs really smooth and quiet with M1 AFE 0w20. Smooth enough to make me never care for oem Mazda juice again. Especially when M1 is so widely available, is inexpensive ( $23 ~ $25 @ wally world ) and seems to be doing just as good of a job if not better.

I recommend you give it a shot and see for yourself how it runs in your vehicle. Its not like its going to make the engine explode or anything lol.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Personally I have never heard an engine be super quiet on 20w oil. That oil is recommend for MPG's only. That whole approval stuff is [censored] anyway because the "real" synthetic oils aren't on anyone's list. Gee I wonder why that is?

Honda chooses a specific oil to maximize MPG's like everyone else.

Does it actually have to be a 0w20?

Jeff

My engines are quite on M1 0-20. As for the MPG thing, I used 20wt oils in the 60s and went with M1 5-20 in 1978 with an engine calling for 30-40wt oils. MPG wasn't a big issue then, as there was no CAFE, except to eat in. Also what is a real synthetic?

Last edited:
Of the 0W-20 synthetics that I have used in my wife's 2011 Honda, PP is the quietest IMO.
I have been told that Hondas run much quieter with 5W-30 in them. I am considering switching to this when the warranty expires as it is Honda's recommended grade everywhere else in the world except North America.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure I would agree.
In Canada many Honda/Acura dealers carry and use the Idemitsu ( I believe) GF4 Honda 0w20.
It has a Vi of 197 and a strong add pack with a ton of moly and should be good for about 10k. I had a great Convo with an employee of a Honda dealership lately, their bulk oil is the Gf4 high vi Honda oil. He always gets a laugh when people ask if they have M1 and he gets to explain the specs on both oils.
So that being said the Op would have great results using that if it was easily available. If not then I would suggest Sustina vi229, then the new Mazda with moly oil VI 221, then TGMO VI 214 over Mobile 1.
M1 is a great oil but I won't be using it until they increase the VI to over 200.

Originally Posted By: Roob
In Canada many Honda/Acura dealers carry and use the Idemitsu ( I believe) GF4 Honda 0w20.
It has a Vi of 197 and a strong add pack with a ton of moly and should be good for about 10k. I had a great Convo with an employee of a Honda dealership lately, their bulk oil is the Gf4 high vi Honda oil. He always gets a laugh when people ask if they have M1 and he gets to explain the specs on both oils.
So that being said the Op would have great results using that if it was easily available. If not then I would suggest Sustina vi229, then the new Mazda with moly oil VI 221, then TGMO VI 214 over Mobile 1.
M1 is a great oil but I won't be using it until they increase the VI to over 200.

What will I gain if M1 0-20 changes to a VI over 200??

Cleaner engine?
Better Vis in high ambient temps?
Less wear=longer lasting engine?
Longer OCI?
Better cold temp starts than I already get?

Higher vi can contribute to lower wear at all temperatures.

All the 200+ vi oils should be explored if you want something over kill.

That being said the M1 is more than adequate for warranty intervals.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

High VI oils are more prone to shearing and increased TAN. A higher VI doesn't guarantee a better oil.

Originally Posted By: Roob

VI is simply a mathematical product of the change in viscosity between 40 C and 100 C. A high VI doesn't necessarily translate into exceptional performance at truly low temperatures. As is the case with most things, a single metric doesn't tell the whole story; your engine won't notice the difference between the two.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

High VI oils are more prone to shearing and increased TAN. A higher VI doesn't guarantee a better oil.

Care to explain that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back