Lexus LS400 Needs Major Repairs, What's the Cost ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1994 Lexus LS400 with 350+k miles is in need of these repairs:

Water Pump (original 20 years old and it has a serious leak)
Thermostat (6-7 years old)
Radiator (original 20 years old and start a leak at the neck)
Timing Belt (last changed was 160-180k miles)
Coolant Expansion Tank (original 20 years old and has 3 cracks on top)

I don't think it needs OEM parts, but I don't like made in China parts either. But I like these parts made in USA if possible, or any of the first world countries.

Since replacing water pump and timing belt will need to remove many parts, so I think the labor for all these things will be around 4-6 hours.

How much do you think it will cost me ? I think the pats cost is about $500-800 and labor cost is about $400-600, so the total is $1000 to $1500 ? Is it sound about right ?

Lexus, and lots of repairs sounds scary to me.. Any luxury car and lots of repairs=$$$$

Although, i guess if you use aftermarket parts and do it yourself... might be a way to save money. Sorry cant help much on how much it would cost.. depends where you buy the parts and who does the labor..

Fix it on the cheap and drive it till it drops... or nurse it with expensive parts and try to hit 500k, depends on your plans with the car...

Go with name brand parts and check out Rock Auto. The price you mentioned sounds about right. Are you doing the work or an indy shop? If you're keeping the car long term, $1500 seems worthwhile.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Lexus, and lots of repairs sounds scary to me.. Any luxury car and lots of repairs=$$$$

Although, i guess if you use aftermarket parts and do it yourself... might be a way to save money. Sorry cant help much on how much it would cost.. depends where you buy the parts and who does the labor..

For a 20 year old car I'd say he's doing pretty well, actually.

my highlander with v6 - belts, water pump, timing belt ALL related pulley bearings and tensioner for Time belt was $1000. japanese oem parts, 2 yr warranty done by local expensive shop

A timing belt kit with OEM parts, including water pump + gasket, thermostat + gasket, crankshaft, camshaft seals, serpentine belt, timing belt tensioner, tensioner bearing, and idler bearing is around $300 on ebay.

A radiator is about $100-$150. I'd get the coolant expansion tank from a junkyard.

The only thing out of this that I would consider a repair is the radiator and expansion tank, aside from that it's just maintenance.

Denso radiator is about $100, Aisin Water pump is about $100, timing belt and thermostat should be about $100....coolant tank?
21.gif

My only concern is that it has 350,000 miles.

You could seal up all the leaky cooling parts and discover that the head gaskets are weak or the freeze plugs have corroded or that the heater core was weak and it will rupture...etc...

I've seen it firsthand on many occasions. You fix the deficiencies and allow the cooling system to get to proper pressure and it sets up a domino effect of failures.

No question that the first round of Lexus LSes are exceptionally well built cars. Your repairs may go another 350,000 miles problem free. But it also may be the beginning of the end.

HTSS-TR I can highly recommend a Toyota/Lexus shop that my cousin swears by out in the West Coast. Talk to Joe and he should be able to do the job right for a fair amount. Here's the info: LINK.

Good Luck and keep us updated.

Have you looked online at prices for parts???

My guess:

Water Pump $100+$200 install+$50 coolant
Thermostat $20+$50 install
Radiator $400+$100 in hoses+$200 install
Timing Belt (belt or chain??) $500 job
Coolant Expansion Tank $25 junkyard part, DIY.

So like $1600???

None are major repairs, all would be OK for this point in age, and Id do them and not think twice if the car is nice otherwise and not rusty. How's the suspension?

Originally Posted By: dparm
For a 20 year old car I'd say he's doing pretty well, actually.

My 30 year old Mercedes cars havent needed those parts at those mileages!

I got a quote for parts and labor:
Radiator $150
Water Pump $95
Timing Belt $50
Thermostat $15
Coolant Expansion Tank $75
Antifreeze $30
Labor $300

Total: $715, discount $15 = $700 net (no tax if pay by cash). All parts made in USA.

Timing belt and cooling system maintenance. Pretty good for 350k! I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Everything you list is a wear item, except maybe the radiator.
I'd say that with creative parts shopping and a wrench experienced with these old V-8s doing a little side work, 1.5K would be about right.
Get all of this done and you can then drive the car a while longer or unload it for more than its present value plus the cost of the work.
You know this car well and you've apparently had many years and miles of service from it.
It seems to rival any MB diesel in terms of durability and reliability.
If it were mine, I'd spend a grand and a half on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back