hy-per lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MolaKule.
Was at the auto parts store today and the company bought a bottle of hy-per lube.
Now, I don't intend to put it in a vehicle. I like to keep a variety of lubricants at my workbench and thought I'd give it a try.
It 'says' it protects better than Zinc, for what that's worth.

I have had some terrific result with my firearms by coating bullets with both hBN and WS2.....

Just wonder about the latest 'snake oil'........

thanks,

ron

Originally Posted By: n4ue
Was at the auto parts store today and the company bought a bottle of hy-per lube. Now, I don't intend to put it in a vehicle. I like to keep a variety of lubricants at my workbench and thought I'd give it a try. It 'says' it protects better than Zinc, for what that's worth. I have had some terrific result with my firearms by coating bullets with both hBN and WS2... Just wonder about the latest 'snake oil'.....

Ron:

The Hy-per Lube folks make a whole range of additive products - from radiator to fuel tank. You did not specify which particular product you bought, but you mention zinc so it might be Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive.

Reading through the hype: "This reduced ZDDP [zinc] approach works well to protect the catalytic converters but leaves many older and high performance engines without the proper EP (extreme pressure) wear protection they need to protect the cams, lifters and rocker arms." Translated: these parts in 'older engines' may now be suffering at the hands of the EPA.

I don't recall zinc being highly regarded as a lubricant. It is a useful metal, to be sure - there is a zinc block bolted to the bottom of most outboard motors. Hot dip zinc plating (aka Galvinization) is what makes garbage cans last a long time and public street lamp posts stay silver in appearance (until either gets hit by a drunk driver). Zinc is a sacrificial metal that protects other metals like steel and aluminum from rust and galvanic corrosion by sacrificing itself. Good stuff, zinc... but not as a 'high pressure lubricant'.

For high pressure lubrication, how about good quality motor oil? Or, if you're really a fanatic, you might consider adding MoS2. I've owned and worked on push-rod engines with rocker arms and I don't recall that rods and cams and rockers were a big problem area - at least not wear-wise. After a camshaft is ground, the thin surface of the cam is heat-treated and hardened... made really, really hard. Ditto for the tip of the push rod that rides the cam. Hardening the surface of cams is 'old technology'. As for the rocker arm... it's just sort of there. They can break or the bearings can wear - get egg shaped. But, you push in a new sleeve bearing or replace the whole rocker. All of these parts are operating in a semi oil-bath... and they tend to last a long time.

The Hy-Per Lube product might not cause any harm, but I don't see it solving an urgent problem either. If cam scuffing was such an urgent concern, then it should be a problem on modern engines which still have camshafts and still have metal things that rub against the cam. But, again, I don't recall cam wear or scuffing as a number-one problem, thanks to surface hardening and motor oil.

Maybe I missed something in their advertising.

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't recall zinc being highly regarded as a lubricant. It is a useful metal, to be sure - there is a zinc block bolted to the bottom of most outboard motors. Hot dip zinc plating (aka Galvinization) is what makes garbage cans last a long time and public street lamp posts stay silver in appearance (until either gets hit by a drunk driver). Zinc is a sacrificial metal that protects other metals like steel and aluminum from rust and galvanic corrosion by sacrificing itself. Good stuff, zinc... but not as a 'high pressure lubricant'.

Undoubtedly, the advertisement is referring to ZDDP content.

Ron, the HyperLube Zinc Replacement (Clear) is classified as a "polymer Ester" anti-wear additive and does help to reduce wear in low ZDDP formulations.

The HyperLube Oil Supplement (Orange-Amber) is another one of those STP-like oil thickeners for smokers and I would not use it.

Last edited:
Molakule, thanks for your educated response. I forgot to mention it was the "Zinc" replacement. Duhhhh
A couple of comments:
First, as I mentioned in my question, I will NOT be using this in an engine. Just picked it up to play with. The packaging is now different, the bottle is clear, as is the product.
I opened it a while ago and it feels like (not very scientific, I know. ha ha) thinned down STP. Looks like it too.

I remember reading a while back how the 'new' STP has less Zinc than the old formula, due to CC problems. I have had several boats with the anodes.

I have several bottles of the Moly stuff you mentioned. It too, will never go in an engine. I use it in the shop. Works great on things like trigger sears, etc. I used to Moly coat my bullets a while ago. Works OK, but very messy as is the WS2. In addition, the Moly has a reputation of attracting moisture, which is NOT good for barrels!

Lastly, (you'll love this!) I have a good friend back in Ky that had a thriving engine building business. From stock rebuilds up through Top Alcohol dragsters.
One day, he was lamenting about the high failure rate he had with flat tappet cams (all brands).
I asked him what he used on the cam lobes during assembly. "White Lithium" he replied. When asked why he didn't use the supplied stuff or some kind of EP lube, he grumpily replied:
"I use WL ALL over the engine and been doing it that way for 30 years!!".
Spring pressures are not what they used to be! Couldn't argue with him, he was 2X my size!! ha ha

ron

Originally Posted By: n4ue
MI will NOT be using this in an engine. Just picked it up to play with.

How does one play with this if not putting it in an engine?

Might work in a pinch for chainsaw if it has tackifiers like the ol STP thick stuff. Use on the chain that is.
I did once use the STP cutting at a friends and ran out of bar oil. He had the STP in his garage and we got the cutting done.

Like Mola said this product contains a polymer ester, specifically, one called "9233 KetJenlube" made by Akzo Corp.

One would think that it is perfectly fine for modern engines as it contains NO ZDDP, or metallic solids, or metal based solutions at all.

But then some of course will question the compatibility of said polymer esters with any/all of the other things in modern engine oils, I guess.
21.gif

Quote:
Might work in a pinch for chainsaw if it has tackifiers like the ol STP thick stuff.

Nope, no tackifiers.

It is a substitute for metallic anti-wear additives.

It does not thicken or thin the host oil.

I've used it. Its didn't have any measurable effect on fuel economy or anything else for that matter. I never got a uoa so I can't comment on wear however I had 6 bottles of the stuff. I used it in various vehicles and it didn't do anything noticeable.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
I saw this bottle other day at advance auto parts. But at $15.99 for a 12-16 oz bottle geeesh!!!!

This AW polymer chemistry IS expensive.

Does anyone know (Molekule) if Hy-per Lube can be used in Transmission,Axles, and Transfer case in a small dose? I know they are all different. Hy-per Lube is no longer available except on Ebay.

Thanks for any input!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I contacted the manufacturer concerning my aforementioned question. Manufacturer does not recommend using in anything other than the crankcase. Hy-perlube was only tested as a motor oil additive.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back