Grease Squirts Around Zerk, Not In It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago in high school, I used to work in what was called a "filling station" out West. We used an air powered grease gun, and the tip mounted on the zerk fitting with somewhat of a snap or click.

I just bought the linked gun to grease the U-Joints on my Tacoma 4WD. It does not snap onto the zerk, and the grease just oozes out around it.

I've pushed to fitting on to the zerk with a fair amount of force, but it won't click on - it stays loose. I am guessing that's the reason for the oozing.

Am I doing this wrong? Can someone give me some advice? The truck is only 2 years old, and I can't believe that all three fittings I've tried are clogged. I tend to think I lost my touch.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/...tools_7070489-p

The easiest think to do is replace the zerk fitting, if you can't try removing and cleaning it. Most are threaded into the joint and come out easily. Back in the day I kept a few on hand for the problem you're describing. I haven't looked to buy one in years though, so hunting down a zerk might be a little tougher than it was years ago.

Yeah I'd guess that it is either a lousy quality gun/fitting, or a clogged zerk. Places like tractor supply at least should still carry them, maybe auto parts places too.

I wish I knew how to find those older style 'click-on' zerk fittings. I have several guns and a few extra hoses/fittings, but every single one of them is the style in which you put the fitting on the zerk, then twist the fitting to tighten it up onto the zerk. Once tightened onto the zerk, you can pump grease with no spillage. If you do not tighten....then all of the grease comes out the sides. These type fittings are a pain in the backside once your fingers get greasey.....makes it very difficult to get enough grip to tighten or loosen the gun's fitting on the zerk.

I guess I'm lucky. My 88 E-150 is loaded with zerk fittings, the Lincoln grease gun slips nicely over them and the grease goes where it should.

Northern tools sells a nice assortment of zerk fittings. It might be overkill but, it could help too.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_12818_12818?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Garage%20%2B%20Workshop%20Supplies-_-Hardware%20Kits-_-1708&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1708&gclid=CNCDhY_-p7kCFYui4AoduAQAfg

Mods if I broke any rules, please remove the link.

Last edited:
The guy at the Napa dealer showed me how to adjust the tip, to open and close the aperture to get a tight fit. Just screw and unscrew the tip....

My truck is all lubed up now. Now it is time for my lubrication....

I could use a Zerk on my right knee!

I didn't know about adjusting the tip. I'll have to try that. I have to hold my fitting onto the zerk pretty hard ... need 3 hands to operate the grease gun!

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I didn't know about adjusting the tip. I'll have to try that. I have to hold my fitting onto the zerk pretty hard ... need 3 hands to operate the grease gun!

It is the very tip that you can screw and unscrew to loosen and tighten. Screwing it in tightens it.

I am an expert now
smile.gif

Also I have fixed 99 % of "bad" zerks by taking them off and using the gun to push out the old grease plug that was jamming it. When you lube a front end it it best to have it in the air.

Is it all the fittings or just one?

If it's just one, you have a bad fitting. If it's all of them, check if you can tighten up your grease gun's nozzle.

BSW

Had two of that particular grease gun with plunger failures on both. No problems with the zirk fitting tip, though. Have you made sure the little ring that retained the 3 arms inside the tip is secure?

If you have a flexi hose this sometimes hinders things. A straight tube lets you jam the gun on better and get more force to bust that sticky zerk.

And re the 3rd arm thing, yup, I suffer that too. Use various other things to jam the lever.

To keep the fittings from seizing up, I always leave a lot of grease on them, then next time you just wipe the dirty grease off to revel a like new zerk.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Have you made sure the little ring that retained the 3 arms inside the tip is secure?

This might have been what my problem was. My grease gun coupler has 4 jaws but It was squirting grease around every zerk I tried. I then tightened the tip of the coupler to the point where I could barely snap it on to the zerks anymore and it still never put any grease into the fitting. Replacing the coupler fixed the problem for me and I was able to grease all my zerks again.

Quote:
I could use a Zerk on my right knee!

http://www.orthovisc.com/
It worked well for my right knee. Three injections that were less annoying than a flu shot.

Back to the original topic...the grease gun coupler could be worn out if it has a lot of use. A new coupler on a tired old grease gun makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back