Toyota power steering, what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of doing a power steering fluid service on 01 Tacoma, likely turkey baster, but most importantly wondering what to use.

Owners manual calls for Dex III but I'm wondering as that's an older spec if I have other options that might be better. Checking some new Tacomas and they also still seems to still call for Dex III.

So, should I use only Dex III something like Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc from AAP on sale in gallon size? Could I use a Dex VI fluid? Or even a power steering fluid?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Does Toyota sell a "dex III" PSF?

Given that there is no such thing as Dex III any more, I'd go with the closest thing that still has a specification approval - go to target and get the Mobil ATF.

While nothing can be called dex III anymore, that carries an Allison approval which is near equivalent.

In my BMW that calls for ATF (dex), I've used M1 ATF for years and like it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Given that there is no such thing as Dex III any more, I'd go with the closest thing that still has a specification approval - go to target and get the Mobil ATF.

While nothing can be called dex III anymore, that carries an Allison approval which is near equivalent.

Toyota doesnt sell a PSF. They recommend to use ATF. I have been using turkey basting method for the last couple years and the M1 has worked great.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Toyota doesnt sell a PSF. They recommend to use ATF. I have been using turkey basting method for the last couple years and the M1 has worked great.

That's why I said "dex III" PSF. They must sell something or use something at their dealerships and parts counters that has a toyota logo.

It may just be their "Dex III" equivalent ATF (since many of their ATFs take that) or something else. But there should be a product that they use/sell, this isnt an abnormal request.

I still stand by Target Mobil ATF or M1 if syn is of interest.

There's a lot of fluid out there that claims to meet Dexron III (some are called "Dex-Merc"), even though GM no longer has a licensing scheme.

If it's out of warranty, I wouldn't worry about it. These fluid companies were making Dexron III ATF for years with GM's cooperation. I doubt they suddenly couldn't make a proper fluid simply because GM decided that they'd no longer try to license it.

+1 for M1. M1 is a very popular choice among Toy and Lexus owners with vehicles calling for DexII/III in their PS. I have been using it for a couple years in my 99 Avalon and it has been working great.

Last edited:
M1 synthetic ATF. Thats wat i use.

+ ANOTHER

If you want to be properly OCD, you can still buy Toyota's branded Dex-III on Amazon....
Amazon Toyota Dex III
But since Mobil 1 Syn ATF is being so recommended here, I'd go for it.
This was good info for me as the Camry needs a PSF change, and it's cap/manual says the same thing
smile.gif

I'd just use the Dex3 and be done with it.

If you want an upgrade, M1 or Redline ATF and you probably won't notice anything different.

GM pulled the copyright on the term Dexron III

So now everybody sells it as Dex/Merc, D/M, Automatic Transmission Flud (compatible with GM, Ford, etc..)

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Thinking of doing a power steering fluid service on 01 Tacoma, likely turkey baster, but most importantly wondering what to use.

Owners manual calls for Dex III but I'm wondering as that's an older spec if I have other options that might be better. Checking some new Tacomas and they also still seems to still call for Dex III.

So, should I use only Dex III something like Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc from AAP on sale in gallon size? Could I use a Dex VI fluid? Or even a power steering fluid?

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Valvoline max life works great.

Regards, JC.

Maxlife ATF. One of our cars went through 3/4 quart of swapping and it kept coming out dark after a couple thousand miles, but the squeaky steering has almost disappeared.

I was going to give JH's Mobil D/M a shot but unfortunately my local Target doesn't stock it. So kinda back to square one.

I'm sure M1 synthetic atf is great stuff but based on the DexIII spec seems a bit overkill and a bit pricey. Considering DexIII mineral based doesn't seem Toyota is too picky.

I'm now considering Valvoline Dex/Merc which seems to meet same specs as Mobil D/M that JH listed, Castrol Domestic Dex/Merc on sale at AAP and MaxLife.

I must say Toyota still recommending DexIII today for PS seems odd considering the improvements in the Dex atf specs.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I must say Toyota still recommending DexIII today for PS seems odd considering the improvements in the Dex atf specs.

Subaru used to spec Dexron III. Apparently they're now spec'ing their own branded ATF (two varieties) as their PSF and are recommending that these fluids are suitable for older Subaru PSF units where Dexron III was specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back