Renting a car in Vegas and it doesn't have a plate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alamo was out of compact cars so I grabbed an economy car Instead of going up the class I went down. I grabbed a 2014 Chevy Spark. The thing is so new they still had plastic on it. It is totally loaded out soup to nuts. Looks really cool but the engine is a dog

Anyways I just got to my hotel and realized it doesn't even have a license plate on it. It just has some temporary piece of paper on the front windshield saying it is applying for a plate or something like that

I imagine driving around in Nevada and Vegas I'll be fine. Will I get stopped if I try to drive out of state like Utah Arizona or California? I usually do when I come out to Vegas , i go to Death Valley Zion etc.

Anyone know? I can't find a local number to Alamo in Vegas

Thanks for the quick reply! Being from NH you never see cars without plates , just wondering if neighboring State Police are used to this

I wouldn't be happy. Back east you can't use temporary licenses on rental cars, taxis, loaded trucks, etc.

I rented a camaro in vegas with no FRONT plate, only a rear one, and was looking around at all the other cars with front plates. Turns out Nevada's official law is "front plate unless there's no spot for it."
21.gif

California gives a generous six months (?) between purchase and wearing plates, so NV cops would at least assume you were a stray Californian.

You should be OK. Here is a number for one of the Alamo office in Vegas: 7135 Gilespie St, Las Vegas, NV - (888) 826-6893

The "plate applied for" on the windshield, combined with your rental car contract should cover you in any of the states you may visit. Confirm by calling and talking to a manager.

You are responsible as the driver if the car is not properly registered. If there is a problem it's on you at the time you are stopped.

Must be a Vegas thing.

Years ago, I rented a car in Vegas. Chevy Corsica. Had the temporary thing in the window. I didn't necessarily mind, until I noticed on the last day of the trip that there was a date on the temporary tag. It was expired! I had the rental agreement, of course, but the possibility of having further issues due to the expired tag was annoying.

Quote:

I imagine driving around in Nevada and Vegas I'll be fine. Will I get stopped if I try to drive out of state like Utah Arizona or California?

License plates you use in vegas, stay in vegas.

Last edited:
It's very normal to not have plates for new vehicles out West, as long as you have the temporary card/plate your fine. Here in AZ you'll wait 30-45 days for new plates.

In AL you can legally run with no plates for 30 days after purchase. Many go longer, though it's illegal to do so. There is no temporary tag program here. Some dealers give you a "tag applied for" paper or plastic plate. It's very common to see cars with no tag or one from a dealer that says "tag applied for."

Here in MN you get one of these temporary permits to put in your back window when you buy a new vehicle or a used vehicle that doesn't have current MN registration.

21daypermit.gif

You are fine in all 50 states. The tag and time for the tag is determined by the issuing state. No different than driving a car from a state that requires only one plate to a state requiring two. Your rental contract will suffice perfectly.

California issues you a piece of paper for the windshield also. I drove around in my truck for about 6 months until I got my plates. only got pulled over twice and asked where my plates were

Its a RENTAL. If there are any issues with registration, its not on you.
Just like BITOGers to overthink simple things.

Enjoy your trip - visit some pools for me in Vegas (like the Palms on Friday, MGM on Sat...)

Thanks for all the input guys! I called Alamo and they transferred me to the Vegas office. He assured me I'd be fine driving anywhere that it is common here. Again being from New England it isn't something you ever see so that's why a bit apprehensive

Actually now that I've spent a few miles in the car it is sorta fun to drive. Like a little go kart. Pretty good in traffic and parking too

Originally Posted By: Chris142
California issues you a piece of paper for the windshield also. I drove around in my truck for about 6 months until I got my plates. only got pulled over twice and asked where my plates were

This, I am rocking the dealer plates on my '14 now and get double takes from police until they see the thing in the windshield. I still need to go to the DMV and intercept the registration and get personalized plates coming so I don't have to wait forever for those.

Same deal on new cars in ND. No worries.

I also had one for a rental, fun to drive and surprisingly roomy inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back