Higher mileage European Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: coachditka
I must have been high considering an A4, A6, or Jetta as a fun road tripper. I'm leaning to a used G35 or G37 at this point.

At 26,000 miles my Mazdaspeed 3 began emitting huge billows of white smoke at idle- to the extent that you could not see the car behind you. One new turbo coming up! And two weeks after that the LF strut blew out. At 46,000 miles the variable valve timing actuator went south. By 68,000 miles it needed a new EGR valve and rear shocks 3.000 miles later.

Fortunately it was Japanese, so at least it was reliable...

I just sit and scratch my head about what a headache our Volvo V50 has been.

In 70,000 miles the following repairs have been made (under warranty which is now expired)

1. Fuel sending unit
2. AC drain line
3. AC compressor clutch
4. Cracked coolant reservoir leaking
5. Cam seal leaking oil (extended warranty value right there) they had to pull the crankshaft for that one.
6. CV joints and boots
7. Front upper and lower control arms and ball joints
8. Rear lower control arms
9. Another fuel sending unit
10. Both rear hubs and bearings

These are not maintenance neglect items, but just bad parts.

Oh, and the interior headliner came down around 50k and the door panel fabric is currently falling off.

Yikes! That's nuts. My V70 is an entirely different (and older) animal. It has its own era problems (evaporator & heater core leak, interior door inset panels replaced multiple times (Swedish eco/enviro adhesive doesn't stand up to Tx heat) but with 193kmi now, has held up rather well. I do most of my own maintanence.

Control arms already? Wow..that sounds suspicious. I just replaced the originals a month or so ago. The bushings were fine, but the BJ's were a bit loose, but not as loose as I thought. They'd been in there since the car was new: A few months shy of 15yrs.

Sorry to hear about all the trouble with yours.

My wife really wants a used Volvo X90, but there are way too many horror stories with engine and tranny issues.

Don't have any direct experience here, but have heard about electrical & transmission problems on several. Plus lousy gas mileage. I think the twin-turbo T6 models had several tranny issues: Couldn't stand the torque.

IMO 20K is a lot to pay on a high mileage car, regardless of marque ESPECIALLY if it's cost of ownership is as high as some of those cars can be.

I'd be terribly fearful of owning a BMW/Merc out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I must have been high considering an A4, A6, or Jetta as a fun road tripper. I'm leaning to a used G35 or G37 at this point.

At 26,000 miles my Mazdaspeed 3 began emitting huge billows of white smoke at idle- to the extent that you could not see the car behind you. One new turbo coming up! And two weeks after that the LF strut blew out. At 46,000 miles the variable valve timing actuator went south. By 68,000 miles it needed a new EGR valve and rear shocks 3.000 miles later.

Fortunately it was Japanese, so at least it was reliable...

That makes me think of mom's 1985 Maxima.

The engine was never a problem.

Everything else was.

Funny thing; since I replaced the rear shocks the only other issue has been the front struts, which at 126,000 miles are well and truly shot. I'm probably going to install Koni FSDs at all four corners and cross my fingers that it will make it to 150,000 miles with no other issues. By that time I'll be 100% retired and I can start looking for the right E92 M3. Z4 M Coupe, or Cayman S...
19.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
VW group products tend not to age as well, I would stay away from such if 200k is your goal.

I disagree. Check my signature. Ten plus years old, still looks good and drives great.

But, I am looking for another 2003 or maybe 2002 Golf TDI, low mileage, just to park in the garage until it's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back