Valvoline SynPower 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see a lot of love for this oil here. I do know people say the TBN is low, but is it really? Most 0w20 TBN's are in the 8 range these days.....

Why no love? I don't use it, just curious.....

Because M1 and PP are cheaper
wink.gif

Synpower does have a solid virgin TBN.
It appears to lack solid TBN retention, though.
I posted a pretty lackluster UOA of Synpower 10W-30 SM after a 5K run in our Forester last summer.
If I were running a car to OLM/MM limits, as I'm doing with my '12 Accord, I don't think Synpower 0W-20 would be one of my top picks.

The off-the-shelf SynPowers always have mediocre starting TBN. The versions they sell to shops and mechanics are always a bit more stout.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Synpower does have a solid virgin TBN.
It appears to lack solid TBN retention, though.
I posted a pretty lackluster UOA of Synpower 10W-30 SM after a 5K run in our Forester last summer.
If I were running a car to OLM/MM limits, as I'm doing with my '12 Accord, I don't think Synpower 0W-20 would be one of my top picks.

I thought that was the sm variety, not sure if that is a fair snapshot of there current line up.
I have read all sorts of reasons why folks on here do not care for it.
No moly
No titanium
No boron
Low TBN
Sodium add pack
Etc.
Shade tree chemists don't care for it, yet it seems to always perform well. I like it and try to cheerlead for it when I can since it really doesn't get the love I think it deserves.
grin.gif

Synpower is definitely overpriced. Inferior to M1, PP/QSUD, and even Castrol Edge!

However, Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower and is on salefor $3.49, which is a fair price for Synpower.

Been a while since I've compared synpower UOAs. But from what I've seen in the past they were always excellent, regardless of TBN retention and specific additives, or the lack thereof.

If it was priced lower than competitors, and widely available, I would run it.

I love VWB!
wink.gif

I tried Synpower just as I might try any other oil.
It didn't seem too impressive in the application I ran it in.
For what I paid for it, though, I can't be too upset.
Maybe the SN version is better?
OTOH, I love Nextgen Maxlife, which has a very similar add pack, although it does have a smidge of moly.
I posted a UOA of it from a 4K run in the BMW last summer.
You couldn't hope for a cleaner UOA with any oil from any engine.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Because M1 and PP are cheaper
wink.gif

Actually, Synpower is cheaper than both here at Wally World in 5 quart jugs.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The off-the-shelf SynPowers always have mediocre starting TBN. The versions they sell to shops and mechanics are always a bit more stout.

Can you please provide proof they make a completely different line of lubes in all weights for shop use? ...in any weight for that matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back