Best recommended engine oil for 2014 Subaru 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new car for my wife, so I thought I may as well get informed up on best maintenance for the car. The manual specs 0w-20 synthetic engine oil and a 7500 mile change interval. How long should the first oil fill be left in? Are there any preferred fluids for this engine?

You have a few to choose from. Any one of these will be just fine in the 2.5. Some with flow better on start up, seeing you get very cold winters in Wyoming. It all comes down to what you want to pay per quart.

Subaru 0W-20
Toyota 0W-20
Mobil 1 0W-20
Mazda 0W-20
Kendall 0W-20
Eneos 0W-20

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 will be the next fill in mine. I like how quiet it is in my Civic. I have not ran it yet in the Forester. Just make sure you use OEM oil filters, as no aftermarket filter has the correct PSI rating yet.....

Also add to the previous list...

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20
Valvoline Synpower 0w20
Castrol Syntec w/ Ti 0w20

The first fb25(2011) was 3000 then 7500 then every 7500.

but they changed it to just every 7500/7.5monthes

or every 3750/3.75month for severe service

I'd run whatever full syn 0w20 you can get reasonable.

m1 afe, pp, etc

Change the oil when the owner's manual says to do so.

Any API SN rated 0w20 will be fine for that engine. Bang for the buck, QSUD is hard to beat.

Keep the moly and extra ZDDP factory fill in for at least 5k miles. My vote is also for a break-in slightly harder than the owner's manual. Hopefully it's not an oil burner like some of the FB engines.

-Dennis

The owner's manual states you have to change the oil at 3k then 7.5k then every 7.5k after that for warranty purposes. Don't do anything different than that.

Originally Posted By: Rand

m1 afe, pp, etc

This is false!

My owner's manual for the 2014 Forester is 3k, then 7.5k, then every 7.5k after that.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
.....Just make sure you use OEM oil filters, as no aftermarket filter has the correct PSI rating yet.....

Also add to the previous list...

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20
Valvoline Synpower 0w20
Castrol Syntec w/ Ti 0w20

We have a '13 with the 2.5 FB motor. There are limited options for filters. Last fall I bought three of the Subaru/Tokyo-Roki black 160 filters off ebay, but they are tough to come by now. Purolator lists a PL14615 that is not available yet. Wix doesn't show a filter for the Legacy FB motor, but does for the Forester???? K&N, and Mobil list filters along with Fram's 7317.

I guess I may use the Fram Ultra XG7317 next time. If I am going to use a Honeywell product (OEM) I might as well use one with, in my opinion, better materials and build quality.

+1. I'm with you on the PP 0W-20.

m1 afe, pp, etc

This is false!

My owner's manual for the 2014 Forester is 3k, then 7.5k, then every 7.5k after that.

Rand is correct.

1st oil change
4 cylinder Outback, Legacy, Impreza, and WRX, STI by 7.5 months or 7,500 miles.
4 cylinder 2.5Forester by 7.5 months or 7500 miles. See image below, it was 3 months or 3,000 miles innthe first version of the maintenance schedule
6 cylinder Outback, Legacy, Tribeca by 3 months or 3,000 miles.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2014.html

You can always email SoA as well. Are you signed up with my subaru.com? That may be different. Don't be in a rush to change the factory fill to an oil with a weaker additive pack, IMO. Especially with all of the FB oil burners out there.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

m1 afe, pp, etc

This is false!

Rand is correct.

1st oil change
4 cylinder Outback, Legacy, Impreza, and WRX, STI by 7.5 months or 7,500 miles.
4 cylinder 2.5Forester by 7.5 months or 7500 miles. See image below, it was 3 months or 3,000 miles innthe first version of the maintenance schedule
6 cylinder Outback, Legacy, Tribeca by 3 months or 3,000 miles.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2014.html

You can always email SoA as well. Are you signed up with my subaru.com? That may be different. Don't be in a rush to change the factory fill to an oil with a weaker additive pack, IMO. Especially with all of the FB oil burners out there.

-Dennis

That is from a 3rd party website. I am looking at the actual 2014 USA manual as we speak.....

Again, first OCI at 3k. 7.5k is false.

If you want to be safe, change the oil at 3K, 7.5K, and every 7.5K thereafter. Some driving - mountain roads, short trips in the winter, dusty conditions etc.. can put you in the severe category. Only the 6 required a 3K oil change on the maintenance schedule, but it's probably a good idea anyway.

You are stuck with Subaru filters. They work well and are very easy to change (on top of the 2.5 engine) No available aftermarket filter has the correct bypass pressure. Make sure to change the washer too!

As others have mentioned, most any of the name brand 0W-20 oils will work fine. The factory 7500 mi OCI isn't long enough to stress any of them. We use M1 AFE in our '13 Outback because it is $15 cheaper @ Wal-mart($23/5q) than Subaru oil at the dealer. Idemsu (who makes Subaru & Toyota 0w-20) is usually available on the internet for $22/gallon including shipping ($50 min) under their own name.

Here is an Idemsu link : http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?partnumber=20102059&
Also- very important to rotate tires on schedule for proper functioning of the Subaru AWD system. The tires should all have approximately the same wear.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. It is hard to beat walmarts pricing on oil. I buy from a wholesaler and many items I can get much cheaper than walmart, but not the oil. Anyone have an opinion on Royal Purple 0w-20? Good news on the new car is that it turned in 33 mpg cruising I 90 across Montana today. I also noticed that the dealer was a bit skimpy on the fill of antifreeze. It was only up to the low mark on the overflow bottle when it should have been up to the yellow full mark. At least the oil was full.
I don't think this little vehicle will ever be in the severe duty category, I have a couple Chevy duramaxes to handle those duties.
Back to the fluids, why are the oil changes in the differentials on these subarus so frequent? Is it due to having such a small sump? Can synthetic gear oil be used in the diffs?

Originally Posted By: nuffsaid

Back to the fluids, why are the oil changes in the differentials on these subarus so frequent? Is it due to having such a small sump? Can synthetic gear oil be used in the diffs?

I'd say its due to a MFG who is honest and isn't trying to pretend there are 'lifetime' lubricants in cars that are actually driven.

The diffs are not enormous either, and being AWD cars you would think they get used a tad
smile.gif
Nothing wrong with sticking to 30K intervals to drain and refill (what older cars were spec'd for: not sure about newest but I would still not run it more then a few years and 50K if it was me: its not an expensive service to do once in a while)

Synthetic is fine, stick with rated GL4/GL5 fluids. My 2002 has seen nothing but Redline fluids for 100+K after the factory fill drain. Rear diff tends to get pretty nasty over 30K. Tranny is cleaner but still has metal frags as wear in older subaru 5sp which had relatively soft internals.

- b

Originally Posted By: nuffsaid
Just bought a new car for my wife, so I thought I may as well get informed up on best maintenance for the car. The manual specs 0w-20 synthetic engine oil and a 7500 mile change interval. How long should the first oil fill be left in? Are there any preferred fluids for this engine?

nuffsaid,

Since the car is new I'd leave that oil in until your OLM tells you to if you have one! If not change it at 3K and drive it until 7.5K. This is of course your dealership says it's OK.
Don't do anything to void your warrsnty.

On it's first oil change I'd just use Mobil 1 but check your local parts store and get the brand that's available in your region.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back