PF35 equivalent filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have the part numbers for the AC Delco PF35 equivalents in the following brands:

Mobil 1
Walmart Supertech
Purolator Purone

Any others.

I run an aftermarket oil pan on my '96 Impala. I had to remove my stock cooler assembly and PF52 filter in favor of a different setup that uses a PF25/PF35. I can usually find the PF25 by looking up a '96 Camaro but I often have a hard time finding the PF35 version as I don't know of any vehicles that use the PF35 (Long version of the PF25).

Thanks for the help.

Holy smokes Patman. Thanks. This is exactly what I need. I can go either way with the anti-drainback valve as the filter is mounted vertically to the cooler adapter which is mounted to the block.

I had bough several of the UPFxxx (I forget the number now) AC Delco Gold filters but I'm almost out and as you know AC Delco is not making these anymore.

Thanks again for the help.

I wish those Ultraguard Golds were still being made! They only make the UPF44s and UPF52s now. The ones you probably had were the UPF1218s, as I don't think they made a UPF35.

I'm not 100% sure but I think AC Delco might still make the PF35L. This filter was very popular back in the mid 90s when I had my first LT1 f-body. These filters are efficient down to about 12 microns and use a fully synthetic media. AC Delco used to sell them for $3 each too! Then all of a sudden they must have realized they could make a bundle on them, so they raised the price to $7 or so.

Pat,

UPF1218 was the number now that I think about it. I've got two left (I bought a dozen) then I'll be needing something else.

I have seen cross references to the PF35L on the Amsoil site.

I was also looking at the Baldwin site. They list a PF25 equiv. as B27, P35 as B6 and then they list a long version as B7. I think the long version is a 2qt. filter. The B7 is 8 23/32 long. This might be another good alternative. Check out www.baldwinfilter.com and go to the filter cross ref. section.

I know most of the numbers! My LT1 uses the PF35 equivalents.

For the Mobil 1 it's the M1-302

For K&N it's the HP3002

For the PureONE it's the PL34631

For regular Purolators it's the L34631 or the L30040 (this one has no ADB valve)

For the Walmart Supertech it should be the 13 or the 5 (the 5 has the antidrainback) since the Fram numbers are the same and they are the PH13, PH13A or PH5.

Also, the PF35 filter has been replaced in most new trucks with the PF1218. This is the same size, just with the antidrainback. So you can use this number to cross reference other filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I wish those Ultraguard Golds were still being made! They only make the UPF44s and UPF52s now. The ones you probably had were the UPF1218s, as I don't think they made a UPF35.

I'm not 100% sure but I think AC Delco might still make the PF35L. This filter was very popular back in the mid 90s when I had my first LT1 f-body. These filters are efficient down to about 12 microns and use a fully synthetic media. AC Delco used to sell them for $3 each too! Then all of a sudden they must have realized they could make a bundle on them, so they raised the price to $7 or so.

I bought AC DELCO PF35L just tonight at Autozone!

baldwin also makes the b6 in a b6hpg for the chevy. It has partially synthetic media and filters down to 8 microns nominal. Very good filter and excellent build quality.

Dan

SSmokn said:
"I was also looking at the Baldwin site. They list a PF25 equiv. as B27, P35 as B6 and then they list a long version as B7. I think the long version is a 2qt. filter. The B7 is 8 23/32 long."

The AC Delco version of that long filter is PF 932 - 8 9/32 inches high, 3 3/4 diameter, 13/16-16 threads will hold almost two quarts of oil. In some situations the added oil capacity will be an advantage.

sbc said:
"why is the PF35L made with synthetic media? How can we verify this?"
Their story, when the PF 35L first came out, was that the synthetic media would filter smaller particles. I don't recall the micron size, but might be able to find the old ads. I have only one on the shelf, and don't feel like cutting it open. Maybe someone else will offer.
Terry

Believe it or not, I have two used PF35L filters at my parent's house! I'm shocked my dad didn't thrown them out, it's in his basement on one of the shelves. I used these filters on my 95 Trans Am back in 96 and 97.

You can look through the center tube on the PF35L and see that the media has some sort of screen covering it. Has anyone else noticed this? It DEFINITELY is not you run-of-the-mill paper element.

Patman, you say that you used to run the pf35l. I am assuming that you now run the KN filter. Do you feel that the KN flows better? Is that the reason for the switch?

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Patman, you say that you used to run the pf35l. I am assuming that you now run the KN filter. Do you feel that the KN flows better? Is that the reason for the switch?

I ran the PF35L on a different car, the one I ran that on was my 95 Trans Am, while my current car is a 95 Formula. Same engines though.

I'm not sure if the PF35L flows better or not, since it's been at least 6 years since I last ran one. I honestly didn't even think they made these filters anymore. When I first started using them, they were $4 US, then the price went up to $7 or $8. I used to buy a bunch at a time in the US. I don't travel to the US anymore, so I didn't have any source up here for the PF35L other than the GM dealers who used to want $22 each for them! No thanks! I pay $13 and change for the K&Ns when they are on sale. If GM dealers were selling the PF35L for $22 back in 1996 and 1997, imagine the price now (if they still sell them here that is)

When I bought this 95 Formula in Oct 2001, I started just using the regular PF25 AC Delco filter for a while, then I tried the Purolator Premium Plus. I then switched to K&N, then tried the Carquest Premium, now I'm back to the K&N again. Yikes, I'm all over the map.
smile.gif

I believe the '95 or so Vortec 5.7L engines in the full size Chevy/GMC trucks call for the 1218, so that would be a good vehicle to use for a 35 equivalent search.

The 35L is still being made and sold. Here is the blurb from the general on this filter:
quote:

This GM Performance Synthetic Oil Filter is a heavy-duty spin-on oil filter that can replace any PF-25 or PF-35 filter on 1968-90 Chevrolet V8 engines. It has a 100% synthetic element that is rated at 12 microns. Its synthetic glass filter media provides finer filtration than conventional cellulose (paper) filters. The individual strands of synthetic glass used in the PF35L are smaller and more consistent in size than cellulose fibers. These glass fibers are supported by a polyester sheet laminated on both sides, and the pleated synthetic filter element is backed by a metal screen. This extremely efficient filter can reduce engine wear by 75% compared to conventional filters without restricting the flow of oil.

I wonder why they say 1968 to 1990? For one thing, the 350 engine in the 1991 and 1992 Camaro/Firebird is virtually identical to the 1987-1990 model.

And the 93-97 Camaro/Firebird with the LT1 still use the PF25, so these PF35L filters fit them too (like I mentioned, I ran the PF35L on my old 95 Trans Am, and use a PF35 sized filter on my 95 Formula right now)

[ August 20, 2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back