CAT pump oil for pressure washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual for my pressure washer says to use "CAT ISO 68 high pressure oil", and doesn't list an alternative. The problem is that I can't find cat oil locally.

My question is: Can i get away with using ISO 68 hydraulic oil? Or is there something special about pressure washer oil?

I contacted CAT and their answer is:

If Genuine CAT PUMPS oil is not available, the above listed alternate oils may be used, but may
need to be changed more frequently as they do not contain some of the protective additives
found in the Genuine CAT PUMPS custom-blend crankcase oil.

Oil Alternatives-Standard Pump Models

Shell Tellus T-68
Exxon Univis 68
Mobil DTE 16
Amoco Rykon 68
Univerzol 68

Lubriplate FMO-350 [food grade]
Citgo/Clarion FG / AW 68 [food grade]

I think CAT is using a scare tactic to think their oil is the best without violating the Magnuson Moss Act. Otherwise, if their oil was the only one approved, they have to give it to you for free.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I think CAT is using a scare tactic to think their oil is the best without violating the Magnuson Moss Act. Otherwise, if their oil was the only one approved, they have to give it to you for free.

I'm think you might be right. It turns out that list of oils is as hard to find as the CAT oil. Unless you want to buy 55 gallons of it. Anyone been using anything else in there cat pump?

using Amsoil compressor oil in ours. We have several in daily use and it is a perfect substitute.

From Amsoil:

The ISO 46 compressor oil is what we are commending for the Cat pump. It will work in place of any non-detergent SAE 20 or SAE 30 oil (which is typically what is being used from the manufacturer).

Darryn Wallace
Sr. Technical Service Representative

AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1101 Susquehanna Avenue, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: 715-399-8324
FAX: 715-392-3097

Last edited:
That's good to know. I'll go with amsoil if i cant find something else locally. I don't think i would have bought a CAT pump if i would have realized that oil was going to be such a pain.

The Cat Pump oil is stocked at Home Depot and Northern Tool, so you can pick it up if you have one of those stores locally. Another option is to order from either website and have it delivered.

I to have a kitty Cat pump. It's new and I want run the Amsoil iso 68 hydraulic fluid. But I'm torn between the 20 or the 30wt. I can get the 20 in qts, but not the 30wt I prefer/should run.

Does anybody sell synthetic 30wt it qts, or gasp gallons?

sumoilcorp.com is my go to for compressor fluids. Anything from compressor oils to air tool lubes - they've had the best quality for price I've found. Their compressor lubes have run better than Amsoil in my experience.

Give them a shout and pick up some ISO68 compressor fluid from them. You may be limited on your choices depending on what you had in there prior. I've switched all my compressors to a Diester based oil that has a little better "solvency" (not really the right word) that keeps everything cleaner than a typical petroleum based lube does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back