Let's see your trimmers and brushcutters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have this Stihl FS88 trimmer that was purchased new in 1997 by my stepbrother and he used this trimmer for 5 years commercially before I talked him out of it. It is all faded due to being exposed to the elements for so long while either being used or riding on an equipment trailer rack. It still cuts great today and I use it for about 2 hours of trimming and brush cutting every other week. All I've replaced is the spark plug, trimmer head, and the air filters. It still runs great and it cranks on the fourth pull (doesn't have a primer bulb) every time while cold.

I was surprised to see that it's made in Japan. AFIK Stihl doesn't have a plant in Japan. If anyone knows if Stihl had Echo or possibly Robin make this unit for them let me know.

Specs:
25.4 CC engine
1.2 HP
13 Lb weight (Actually feels heavier than that after using it for a while)

Lets see your trimmers and brush cutters.

Stihl FS45, bought in 2009...

CorpMain.png

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I was surprised to see that it's made in Japan. AFIK Stihl doesn't have a plant in Japan. If anyone knows if Stihl had Echo or possibly Robin make this unit for them let me know.

Does the unit have a "Kioritz" decal on it anywhere? That would indicate an Echo engine. The angled top-side spark plug does look exactly like an Echo engine.

I have an Echo GT-200R and an Echo PE-230. Both are used on 2-3 yards each week.

gt200r-1.jpg

nv46821_1_400.jpg

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Does the unit have a "Kioritz" decal on it anywhere? That would indicate an Echo engine. The angled top-side spark plug does look exactly like an Echo engine.

I have an Echo GT-200R and an Echo PE-230. Both are used on 2-3 yards each week.

gt200r-1.jpg

nv46821_1_400.jpg

Thanks for the info. the only markings on the whole power head is that it says Made in Japan and Stihl FS88 sticker.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
If I recall some of the earlier Stihl trimmers were made for them by Shindaiwa . This was back in the 80's into the 90's .

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
I have a Stihl FR350 back pack trimmer . I think the only one of it's kind in Canada .
http://www.google.ca/search?q=stihl+fr35...920&bih=935

That's an awesome piece of gear. I have seen the Maruyama back pack trimmer but I never knew Stihl made one.

I worked for Stihl Canada from 1988 till 2005 . The FR350 backpack trimmer/brushcutter was a popular machine in Europe so 50 were brought into Canada but never caught on . It's a shame they didn't market them a bit more aggressively and should have let some pro landscapers forestry people actually use them , I think they would have soon realised how you could run these without the fatigue of holding a machine with the engine plus they are way nicer for use on uneven ground and places like ditches and hills .
They never gassed up that machine of mine , it was only displayed at shows for a couple of years and then the company was told by head office (Germany) to ship the remaining 49 machines to France . Mine was not sent because the box was gone plus it was scratched up a bit . I think the original selling price in around 2001 when I got it was $1250 but after it sitting for a time the company decided to offer it to anyone in the company for $200 . Because I lived out in the country and have a few horses I decided to take it . Best move I ever made and it still runs great ! I have cleared underbrush and it will cut small trees up to 4" and have easly put a couple hundred hours on it. There was a straight shaft brother to it which was the FS350 .

I have seen a backpack trimmer by Echo .

Last edited:
I was wonderin if anyone has four stroke trimmer. I have one and a half hours on the poulan pro 10w30. The plan is to change out the oil tommorrow. I have maxlfe nextgen 5w20, and just enough qsud 0w20. I was thinking dumpingthe nexr few oil changes short. I was thinking of going syn oil maybe since this Little guy only holds 2.5 ounces.

Ken

I have a Poulan Pro PP130 30cc straight shaft with the interchangeable attachment system. Also picked up the brush cutter attachment and Ryobi cultivator for it. Between the trimmer and brush cutter it will cut through darn near anything, and the cultivator works great in the garden.

IMAG0004_zpsf9196866.jpg

I have a Stihl FS76 that is about the same age (same brush knife on it too, but has the bicycle style handlebar controls).

I used it so that I don't beat my Stihl KM-90 up cutting brush.

It also has the made in Japan sticker on it. The cutting head has a rattle sound to it like it has some broken teeth in the gear, but it still works like a champ. Given the age and how I don't use it often, I'll just run it until it breaks instead of fixing the rattle.

Dolmar MS 251.4 purchased May 2013 was sold "as new" actually was discontinued in Nov. 2011 no warranty paid $465.00.. DO NOT BUY ANY DOLMAR PRODUCTS.... btw if any of you saw the thread of the leak I fixed the leak with Mobil 1 10w-40 and 1 cycle of MMO with Mobil 1 10w-30.... anyways here is the piece of [censored]:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back