Gasser oil in a diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would want the oil out, and proper spec'd fluid in, as soon as practical.

However ...

I'd not dispose of the M1 just yet. Get a very clean receptical, and drain into that. Use due caution and great care when doing this; clean the oil pan, drain pan, etc VERY well. Then store it and use for whatever gasser needs oil on next OCI.

If this is done right, there will be no issue whatsoever, if the miles accumulated so far in the Cummins have been low. Let's face it; many folks throw out lube that is nowhere near used up, and this is probably just another case of that. Are we to believe that the Fe from a diesel motor is somehow different from a gasser? That Cu or Pb from a diesel is different at the molecular level than in a gasser? If this oil only has 1-2k miles on it, why throw it out?

If it is cf rated i would leave it in. I use sae 30wt apiCF in the 1997 7.3L psd. I run6.5-10k oci's. Has 205K one qt at 5k. Bought in 2007 with 89k. Ran soy bio and mostly wvo bio to avoid low sulfer junk. Federal dot wants road tax on every gallon wvo i didnt want to fassle with paper work with my taxes. I switched to the now required ulsd three injector codes and a lack of power at 150k. I use b-5 minium and lube additive no problems nock on wood. Use cf rated anything at modest oci the truck will be toast and that diesel will still have a truck of work left to run.

Ken

As I understand it, the third injector event of 04.5+ 5.9's, plus the camshaft timing to provide in-cylinder EGR, turns the oil black very quickly due to soot. I know the oil in my '07 5.9 turns black almost immediately.

Would you guys feel comfortable putting this fresh - but black - used oil into a modern gasoline engine?

I suppose if it doesn't hurt the 5.9 that it came from, it may not hurt any other engine...but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable re-using this oil in a modern gasoline engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back