ATF in a Harley chaincase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running Redline in all holes but I've decided to use something I can get locally in my primary because I don't plan on extended change intervals in that hole. I've heard an ATF can give a better clutch feel and some aftermarket companies recommend it for their clutches. I want an ATF that meets dex III requirements and was about to buy M1 synthetic until I saw Valvoline CVT full synthetic. I would think this would be ideal for a chain drive and wet clutch set up. I'd appreciate your opinions, I don't know anything the CVT vs ATF.

Originally Posted By: olskoolblu
I have been running Redline in all holes but I've decided to use something I can get locally in my primary because I don't plan on extended change intervals in that hole. I've heard an ATF can give a better clutch feel and some aftermarket companies recommend it for their clutches. I want an ATF that meets dex III requirements and was about to buy M1 synthetic until I saw Valvoline CVT full synthetic. I would think this would be ideal for a chain drive and wet clutch set up. I'd appreciate your opinions, I don't know anything the CVT vs ATF.

I've been using rotella conventional in my primary for 30000 miles. It meets JASO for wet clutches and its cheap.
Automatic tranny fluid contains friction modifiers,which aren't good for wet clutch.
I've got 107hp/115tq and no slip on a stock clutch.
I've been using rotella conventional 15w-40 in my engine too. Bikes got more zip now,but I've got an oil cooler too.
Rotella 15w-40 is cheap,easy to find and meets JASO so its fine in the engine and primary.
I suggest sticking with shockproof heavy in the tranny though.

I'm not sure I understand, aren't automatic trans made of wet clutch packs? Harley aftermarket clutch makers recommend ATF.

Aftermarket clutch makers are concerned with their clutch's, not the chain or anything else in primary case.
Rotella 15W40 is excellent choice.

I'm not sure I understand, aren't automatic trans made of wet clutch packs? Harley aftermarket clutch makers recommend ATF.

Maybe they use something special for the friction material,I don't know.
What I do know for fact that a brother rides an 02 or 03 police bike. He has gone thru 3 clutches in 5 years using tranny fluid in his primary. He is an experienced rider and gets Harley to fix his bike.
He read on the net to use tranny fluid and he is too stubborn to change. So every 15000 miles its back in for a new clutch.
I've ridden bikes since I was 6 years old. I've ridden imports mostly,this is my first Harley,but power stunk so I built an S&S 106,woods cams,ported heads,milled for compression.
I've got 100tq at 2200rpm. And my stock clutch doesn't slip whatsoever,even when I crank on it,no slip.
All my years riding imports,a couple 1100 virago's,an 1100 v-star,an 1100 and 750 shadow etc and I've always come back to rotella after trying syn here and there. I've never replaced a clutch,nor wore one out,ever,using rotella.
And its cheap and says right on it JASO. So in my head I think its not worth the risk,nor potential expense because rotella meets the spec,and its cheap.
I change it when I change the oil. Its cheap enough that I'm not trying to get any return on investment and I get it in 5 gallon pails for my shared sump bikes(3) and my Harley.
And I can honestly say my top end on my Harley has never been quieter. Never. And its got a bit more pep using rotella in the engine.
So I just don't over think it. It meets JASO which means perfect in my primary,and it runs beautifully in my engine.
Now I use 1 oil in everything except my tranny. Redline is the best I've used so I'm sticking with it,otherwise rotella is great.

Quote:
Automatic tranny fluid contains friction modifiers,which aren't good for wet clutch.

Just to clarify something here; there are different types of friction modifier chemstries for IC engines, Manual Transmissions, ATF's, and Differentials.

IC engine FM chemistry is NOT the same as Manual Transmission FMs, is not the same as ATF FMs, and is not the same FMs used in Differentials.

Last edited:
I tried Rotella T-6, and atf in the primary. I didn't care for either or the clutch chatter. I settled on Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase oil. It is very smooth, and forgiving.

Yes, Harley formula + is a 50W oil with very little additives. You can use Type F ATF in the primary in any Harley or Rotella 15w40 or 10w40 engine oil. I always liked the HD Syn3 20w50 in the primary. You can also use Redline MTL.

Last edited:
After so many suggested Rotella, here and elsewhere, I went with that. Adjusted the clutch while I was in there. I can feel a definite improvement in clutch and shifter feel. Even better, I can get it across the road from me for less than 4 bucks. Thanks guys.

Quote:
Rotella T-6, and atf in the primary. I didn't care for either or the clutch chatter

Believe these are the Wrong oils...You should have used Regular Rotella 15w-40.

I've used Syn3, Amsoil 20w-50, Schaffers 7000 20w-50, and Redline MTL in primary on three diffferent HD's and never had any clutch slippage issues..

Last edited:
I think it's just a waste of $$ to use synthetics in my H-D primary. Either Rotella 15w40 or Valvoline 20w50 mc oil from Wal-Mart works good. Heck, Wal-Mart branded 15w40 or 20w50 for $2.69/qt would suffice just fine...

Last edited:
Walmart oil is one underrated oil. I've use it in both my primary and in the motors of of few bikes, and it performs as well as any other oil in my book. And it has something most boutique motorcycle oils that sell for $10-$16 a qt don't carry, an API symbol. At least you can count on that its made to meet a given spec.,,

Unless the clutch manufacturer recommends an ATF product in the primary, I would stay away from using it. The clutch pack in a HD is designed to be used with motor oil.

HD still recommends if you can't find the proper oil then you can use a diesel oil 20-50, 15 -40 or something in that range, but they then want you to change it back to a recommend weight of motor oil.

The oil in the primary is not only there to lubricate, but to cool. HD Formula + works fine, as well as just about any MC spec 10-40 10-50 or 20-50 motor oil. I lean more to the MC 10-40 as I find the clutch action better with that weight of oil in the primary.

I know lots of folks use a diesel oil in the engines/primary not only of HD bikes but many Japanese bikes as well, but I'm not a fan of that. When it comes to oil, each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back