What is Cam Guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Camguard, mostly in the Winter. I try to fly my plane at least 30 minutes inside every 2 weeks, usually well inside that window. If you look at the Camguard ratio on the container you don't need the full can for most 7 Qt oil changes. With that in mind I only put 1/2 pint in most of the time.

I'm a real skeptic of the different sales pitches, but I do have some faith in Camguard. I do think flying routinely means more though. I usually order a can at times with my Aircraft Spruce orders. I have a Warrior with an 0320 engine.

CamGuard is a concentrated cocktail of anti-wear, anti-oxidant, anti-rust, and anti-corrosion additives. It is well tested and well respected in private aviation.

Tom NJ

For the last couple of years, our corporate flight department has been using Camguard on our piston powered toys. We borescope our engines every year, as FL and corrosion go hand in hand. We've had our share of corrosion issues.

Anyway, last years borescope went better than expected. With no internal cylinder corrosion. Something I think Camguard would not prevent. As the cylinders are generally dry inside. But, the tiny oil film that remains in the cylinder hone may be enough... we shall see.

This year's borescope is coming up in Sep/Oct and it will be interesting to see if any internal corrosion has developed. We can see a number of the cam lobes, the crankshaft counterweights and connecting rods. Corrosion normally starts on the counterweight plugs and then on the small end of the connecting rods.

Others have tested Camguard in the lab and shown good results. I'm simply taking a wait and see approach.

By the way, it has a distinctive, sharp, exhaust smell. And, upon startup, and sometimes on descent, you can tell the oil has Camguard in it.

Last edited:
JR, I get many of my aviation chemicals from a place called Aircraft Spruce and Speciality Co. in Peachtree City, Georgia. They have warehouses in a couple of places across the country.

You can search for Aircraft Spruce and then just search for CamGuard. It's a bit pricey at $24.50 a pint though.

A couple of years down the road, it seems Camguard is helping with internal engine corrosion. Borescopes show zero cylinder corrosion. This has traditionally been a problem with our Lycoming engines.

Disclaimer: I can't prove Camguard is the reason I'm not seeing internal engine corrosion. But it sure seems like it's been the cure.

Does Camguard has Polyol Ester + TCP + PEA?

The claims: It's a Deposit Cleaner, Anti-rust, Seal swell, anti-oxidant ...

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
CamGuard is a concentrated cocktail of anti-wear, anti-oxidant, anti-rust, and anti-corrosion additives. It is well tested and well respected in private aviation.

Tom NJ

Most companies do not disclose their proprietary formulations. I happen to be a friend of the formulator so I am familiar with the product and its testing, although I do not know all of the ingredients and I am not at liberty to disclose what I do know.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Most companies do not disclose their proprietary formulations. I happen to be a friend of the formulator so I am familiar with the product and its testing, although I do not know all of the ingredients and I am not at liberty to disclose what I do know.

Tom NJ

Soooooooooooooo, what's in it? JK.

I would like your opinions on Cam Guard. And, why you have those opinions.

I seem to be having good results with Cam Guard. However, it's absolutely impossible to predict what my long term results are going to be.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Soooooooooooooo, what's in it? JK.

I would like your opinions on Cam Guard. And, why you have those opinions.

Well it has a dash of pixie dust and a dram of rhino horn, but that's all I can reveal!
grin2.gif

I have known the formulator of CamGuard, Ed Kollin, for some 20 years, starting when he ran ExxonMobil's engine test lab in NJ. He is a sharp and creative scientist for whom I have a lot of respect. Knowing some of the ingredients, which includes potent anti-rust, anti-wear, anti-corrosion, anti-oxidant, and lubricity additives, it does not surprise me how well Cam has proven to work over the years. Ed has shared a lot of information with me on tests conducted by major players in the aviation field, but I am not at liberty to discuss this. I have also seen lab and field data from numerous tests he had conducted himself.

There are many of testimonials on the Internet on CamGuard, but as a scientist myself I only pay attention to data, and I have seen enough on CamGuard to be impressed.

Tom NJ

Not snake oil. We have an old 172 on the line with the original 0-320-H2AD. These engines were notorious for chewing cams even new out of the factory. I believe Cam Guard is now required to be used in this variation of the 0-320 as per an AD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back