what is ford's wss-m2c945-a spec about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried googling the spec but my skills are zippo...trying to figure out why 0w20 oils can't get the endorsement. I bought synpower 0w20 (and posted voa) for my taurus. My warranty will expire with time way before I get many miles so I'm not concerned about that.

Synpower pds shows 5w and 0w are very close in 100c viscosity with the 0w actually a little higher. Naturally the 0w has better cold flow, which is why I bought it. They also have the same hths of 2.7.

Valvoline kindly stated they could not stand behind 0w in my case if I had a problem. That's fine, but what is in this spec that requires 5w?

Anyone here understand it? I'm sorry if it's a moronic question...thanks

M1 0w-20 meets Ford's spec. I have been running it on and off since I got the car

Quote:

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A

Yes, I forgot that m1 stands behind their 0w20. I got the the synpower cheap and it seems to show good results in general. Maybe there are other 0w20 oils that meet ford spec...I just wonder what there is in that spec that is too good for some 0w's if they look the same on paper.

I'm still a rookie!

I think it's more along the lines of the oil companies do not want to pay to get certified as they have to continually pay Ford for using their spec.

I use it in the winter. I get a warm fuzzy feeling using a 0w-20 oil on the -20 upstate NY mornings!

Last edited:
My sentiments exactly. Cold starts suck. I know western canadians are shaking their heads about us in upstate ny talking cold starts...

might be anything from a deposit test to volatility to not wanting to get it certified.

I would think they would at least put "meets or exceeds" if it passed though.

Last edited:
Maybe you're right. I suppose the volatility/deposits thing makes sense.
Thanks .

I'm not home to see the bottle but iirc it (synpower 0w20) just says it exceeds sn/gf5 and all previous....

Last edited:
I run qsud 0w-20. It is ford rated. I also noted the new stuff at wal-farts is dexos1 approved, yes the 0w-20. I have casrol gold bottle syntec 5w20 with titanium for the hubbies buick, that oil is dexos1 approved by gm for use. Does that mean gm is soon to be the last to jump to the w-20 wagon.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back