Super Clean degreaser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bottle of degreaser called Super Clean in a purple bottle. Wanted to use it on the inside bottom of the car door to remove built up dirt etc. Has anyone used this on paint? Is it safe to use on car paint or a bad idea? Can i use simple green instead any good/ easy on the paint alternatives?

WD40 and then if you don't want a film, a quick wipe with simple green at the end.

Not a fan of WD40 for lubricating, but as a degreaser and gunk remover it's served me well.

Castrol Super Clean is fine, maybe wipe with a clean water soaked microfiber afterwards.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use super clean. It's a very strong caustic. Hurts my hands and softens my finger nails. For cleaning door jams/sills and such I use some dish soap in a bucket of water. I use repurposed kitchen cloths and Scrub any build up with a plastic sponge. Tar or grease smears, I use WD40, brake clean or carb cleaner, whatever is handy, to soften then remove with old shop towels and follow up with soap and water. I try to be careful around any paint, my cars last a long time and paint jobs are expensive.

Wayne

I wash my cars with straight Super Clean. If you are worried, dilute it down to a 20% solution. Be sure you wash it off pretty quickly.

Also work great in the wash to get oil out of my uniforms.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I wouldn't use super clean. It's a very strong caustic. Hurts my hands and softens my finger nails. For cleaning door jams/sills and such I use some dish soap in a bucket of water. I use repurposed kitchen cloths and Scrub any build up with a plastic sponge. Tar or grease smears, I use WD40, brake clean or carb cleaner, whatever is handy, to soften then remove with old shop towels and follow up with soap and water. I try to be careful around any paint, my cars last a long time and paint jobs are expensive.

Wayne

Carburetor cleaner eats ABS plastic, so not a good idea to use it for this purpose.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Use dollar store Awesome.

+1
La's Totally Awesome(Degreaser/Spot Remover
works Great, and is Very Cheap.

I get it @ Dollar General
20oz Spray Bottle = $1
64oz Jug = $3

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I wash my cars with straight Super Clean.
you've GOT to be kidding me.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: chad8
Use dollar store Awesome.

+1
La's Totally Awesome(Degreaser/Spot Remover
works Great, and is Very Cheap.

I get it @ Dollar General
20oz Spray Bottle = $1
64oz Jug = $3

+1 Some pretty good stuff, and cheap too!

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
crazy.gif

I'm not the only one. I deliver 55 gallon drums of it to local car dealerships on a nearly weekly basis. They put it in a weed sprayer at full strength and spray the cars down.

crazy.gif

I'm not the only one. I deliver 55 gallon drums of it to local car dealerships on a nearly weekly basis. They put it in a weed sprayer at full strength and spray the cars down.

And that's why I'd never let any dealer wash or detail my car even if it's for free. You don't know what they're using. Heck I've even heard of some using dish scouring sponges during the wash for stubborn bug splattered bumpers. Then you end up with horribly scratched bumpers.

The LA one is it safe on paint? I guess super clean is fairly safe than. I will probably use car wah than wd40 and go to something stronger if i need to.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
crazy.gif

And that's why I'd never let any dealer wash or detail my car even if it's for free. You don't know what they're using. Heck I've even heard of some using dish scouring sponges during the wash for stubborn bug splattered bumpers. Then you end up with horribly scratched bumpers.

From the manufacturers product description

"Avoid prolonged contact with aluminum and painted surfaces; avoid any contact with exterior car surfaces, motorcycles, wheels and glass"

Remember when Superclean came in metal cans? They stopped doing that because it was eating the cans.

Originally Posted By: qwertydude
crazy.gif

(shudder) this whole topic is scaring me. Superclean degreaser can be used for parts. I would use a good all purpose cleaner for internal panels etc. and use a quality car wash soap for cleaning the outside. Heavy duty degreasers should be used for construction equipment. Not cars!

WD40 is good for softening up gunk, it would be better for a precleaning soak than actual cleaning in that application. If you just wanted to use it for wiping down larger smooth textured parts it would work well, but I think it would attract dust.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back