Changing a headlight bulb on a 2009 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a Mazda 3 with HIDs you also have to remove the front fascia. Ditto for some BMWs abd Caddys.

Doesn't AutoZone offer to change things like bulbs and wipers for free?

Originally Posted By: raaizin
A friend of mine has a 2009 Chevy Malibu. His headlight burnt out and was quoted about 300 to replace bulb. Seems that the bumber cover needs to be removed to change the bulb. This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Here is a diy for those who are interested!!!

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5540

Many vehicles are like that.Some newer Cadillacs are that way."Standard of the World" ha!

Yep...when I was car shopping I read many a review and came across that. Got to love GM design.

That sounds insane for a wear part that will require replacement, maybe more than once, during the vehicle's life.
You can get the timing belt done on a four cylinder Honda for three hundred bucks, and this is to replace a halogen bulb?
This may explain the number of one-eyed GM cars I see.
This is simply bad design and only serves to screw the buyer and turn that buyer off from any future GM purchase.
Having ranted a little, I'll add that some bumper covers are really easy to remove, and although it may take a little time and effort, it would be an easy DIY project for a pleasant Saturday afternoon.
Still more than should be required to replace a headlight bulb.
I'd replace both low beam lamps while I had it apart.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Doesn't AutoZone offer to change things like bulbs and wipers for free

I think they have limits for what they will do. Like I couldn't see them replacing the battery on a 300M or a C4 for free.

The HHR is like that too, but you can get around it by popping out the plastic pins that hold the wheel well cover in place & dropping that section down.

My stepfather hit a turkey with 95 Chevy truck. Broke a light assembly and grill. Had to remove grill and replace the light assembly and to change a bulb. Made sure I changed bulbs on the good light assembly while replacing the grill.

Could this be something that is easier/cheaper to manufacture? How often do people really think about changing light bulbs when buying a car or truck?

On my 99 SL2 it took about 1 minute to change a light bulb. I like it when DYI is made easy.

Factory HID burners (aka bulb) should last for the life of the car or at least a dozen years and would gradually change their tint before completely dieing and needing replacement.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
A friend of mine has a 2009 Chevy Malibu. His headlight burnt out and was quoted about 300 to replace bulb. Seems that the bumber cover needs to be removed to change the bulb. This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Here is a diy for those who are interested!!!

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5540

Your friend is being fed a line. The entire fascia doesn't need to be removed. A couple clips and fasteners need to be removed to allow the side of the fascia to be repositioned to access the headlamp for removal, but the entire fascia doesn't need to be removed.

Directly from the service manual:

Quote:
1. Remove the front bumper fascia fasteners from the center and side of the headlamp to be removed, full removal of the fascia is not necessary.

See the part where it says, "...full removal of the fascia is not necessary."

I've seen people replace bulbs for the newer Malibus in the AAP parking lot. I've never seen the bumper cover off.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe they would design it that way.

On another note, my 02 Suburban has the easiest headlights to change. You literally pull out two metal pins that hold the plastic in place, then remove the bulb by twisting it out. It's ingenious.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Well it is BITOG, so GM screwed up again. I love how the facts are correct... Kisses all.

Indeed, if the masses can't find something they'll make something up.

At least Chevy used a bulb you could buy at any AAP.

I had a coulple newish Maxima owners come in while I was working at an AAP only to find out their wheel and liner is supposed to come out, and the 9012 bulb they needed had to be found at a real parts store like NAPA or Carquest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back