Cleaning rubber engine hoses from the inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone give an opinion on what I could use to clean the inside of rubber PCV hoses in the engine bay? A friend has been running dyno oil in his 02 Saab 9-5, and the hoses are starting to show deposits on the inside.. With a very tight budget I was hoping I could at least clean the hoses for him when I do an engine cleaning (drop pan, clean pickup screen, etc).

Anything that might work and not destroy the rubber?

what is dyno oil? I googled it and it came up home heating oil.
or lightweight oil you use on a dynamometer

Originally Posted By: Rand
what is dyno oil?

Conventional motor oil. He gets the $19.99 oil change special at the local garage.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
Originally Posted By: Rand
what is dyno oil?

Conventional motor oil. He gets the $19.99 oil change special at the local garage.

You say dino, I say dyno.

But I only use synthetic.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
Can anyone give an opinion on what I could use to clean the inside of rubber PCV hoses in the engine bay? A friend has been running dyno oil in his 02 Saab 9-5, and the hoses are starting to show deposits on the inside.. With a very tight budget I was hoping I could at least clean the hoses for him when I do an engine cleaning (drop pan, clean pickup screen, etc).

Anything that might work and not destroy the rubber?

Are you planning on removing each hose to clean them out and then reinstalling them? I would try Sea-foam deep creep. Otherwise you could try and seafoam the brake booster line which will clear up some deposits. Search youtube for "Seafoam" and you'll see a few examples.

Regards, JC.

I personally wouldn't clean them. A little bit of deposit isn't going to affect them. And physically removing them, cleaning them and reinstalling them could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. If the hoses are near failure it could be that that causes them to finally crack and leak. Generally you either leave them alone or replace them. I've never heard of anyone cleaning hoses out.

I have a feeling that if you were to shop wisely for generic replacement hose of the same size and buy it in bulk, it will likely cost about the same as a good can of cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back