GMC Acadia. 5w20 instead of 5w30, bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the oil change facility today. The pump to dispense 5W-30 synthetic was broken without telling me they put in 5W20. Will this damage the engine of my vehicle? The vehicle is a 2008 GMC Acadia with 86,000 miles on it. Anyone's assistance or Suggestions would be welcome.thank you

I think it's fine for the time being, but I would definitely get it changed out for the correct oil (at their expense, not yours). I would also not use that shop anymore since they're obviously being careless.

I'd rather have 5W-30 conventional oil than 5W-20 syn in this engine in the Virginia summer. They must have had some 5W-30 in bottles? Demand that they change the oil to 5W-30, then if your state has an agency that regulates auto repair, file a complaint that this shop violated both your instructions and the manufacturer's requirements.

I've never known of GM recommending 5w20 as a regular temperture fill...
but if it was colder climate I wouldn't really be concerned but I wouldn't go for an extended OCI

The 5w20 in use will mostly likely show better wear numbers than the 5w30, assuming they are both synthetic. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it

If it is coming out of an Iffy Lube oil gun, it is not synthetic. It is bulk [censored]....

I would recommend hanging out here, learning about the options you have in oil and change the oil yourself. I will never go to an Iffy Lube, they can't tie their own shoes, let alone take care of your vehicle.

Make them change it out at their expense with quart bottles of oil. I would make them show you quart bottles of whatever they have in 5w30 as they put them in. I would watch every second of it....

I'm not sure I would mess around with having the wrong oil in the Acadia considering the issues some models had with premature wearing timing chains.

Date: 02/09/2011
Subject: 10287 - Customer Satisfaction Program - Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GM CUSTOMER CARE AND AFTERSALES

DCS2552

URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: February 9, 2010

Subject: 10287 - Customer Satisfaction Program
Premature Timing Chain Wear - Reprogram ECM

Models: 2007 GMC Acadia, Saturn OUTLOOK
2007-09 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia,
Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with a HFV6 Engine

To: All GM Dealers

Attention: General Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager,
Used Vehicle Sales Manager, and Warranty Administrator

General Motors is announcing Customer Satisfaction Program 10287 today. The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is approximately 383,000. Please see the attached bulletin for details.

Due to the availability of the required calibration, this program will be administered in phases. The first phase will include the Cadillac vehicles. You will be notified when the calibration and VINs are being released for the remainder of the vehicles.

Customer Letter Mailing

The customer letter mailing will begin on February 15, 2011, for Cadillac customers.

Global Connect (GWM)

The "Investigate Vehicle History" (GMVIS 2) link on the Global Warranty Management (GWM) application within GlobalConnect will be updated February 9, 2011, with Cadillac VINs.

Campaign Initiation Detail Report (CIDR)

The CIDR will be available February 11, 2011, for the Cadillac vehicles.

END OF MESSAGE

GM CUSTOMER CARE AND AFTERSALES

I am on my third OCI running 5w-20 in a GM 2.4L chain-driven twin cam 16V engine with no problems to report at this time. No additional oil was required during the OCI's. Just my 2c.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking its not a good thing either, but I dont know anything about oils. Yes this vehicle tears up the oil. i have done several oil analysis through a few companies and the results are not favorable for using any oil in the machine for the standard 3000-5000 miles.

I usually do change my oils myself. It is simple, but I just didnt have time today with errands, work and no driveway access due to driveway repairs.. I learned my lesson and wont make the mistake again.

I contacted the oil change shop, not Jiffy Lube, Valvoline. they apologized and said they didnt think the oil would damage the engine, but manager agreed its not the spec stuff listed by the MFG so they asked me to come back today or tomorrow to drain it and replace it with the correct 5w30 synthetic they have.. I am debating taking my own MOBIL 1 Synthetic 5w30 that i normally use and have them put it in instead and ask for a refund of the other oil.

I wont be visiting them again, but atleast management and customer service seem reasonable and willing to make it right.

Valvoline synthetic is good stuff. No need to worry about it. At least they are doing the right thing by offering to change it for you.

Originally Posted By: Bonk1313
Thanks everyone. I was thinking its not a good thing either, but I dont know anything about oils. Yes this vehicle tears up the oil. i have done several oil analysis through a few companies and the results are not favorable for using any oil in the machine for the standard 3000-5000 miles.

I usually do change my oils myself. It is simple, but I just didnt have time today with errands, work and no driveway access due to driveway repairs.. I learned my lesson and wont make the mistake again.

I contacted the oil change shop, not Jiffy Lube, Valvoline. they apologized and said they didnt think the oil would damage the engine, but manager agreed its not the spec stuff listed by the MFG so they asked me to come back today or tomorrow to drain it and replace it with the correct 5w30 synthetic they have.. I am debating taking my own MOBIL 1 Synthetic 5w30 that i normally use and have them put it in instead and ask for a refund of the other oil.

I wont be visiting them again, but atleast management and customer service seem reasonable and willing to make it right.

No issue with using 5W20. I wouldnt bother bringing the Mobil 1 in, I am sure they will put the right oil in. Have them put right oil in, and next time you change it yourself you have the Mobil 1 to use.

Go back and MAKE them change it! Thats ridiculous. When my shop put in 5w30 in my Accord I made them change it to 5w20, they tried convincing me it would do no harm...and they were probably right. But theres no reason to not put in the right stuff the first time.

I wouldn't have even started the car. Make them drain it on the spot and commute to purchase the right oil for your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back