magnetic drain plug worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what everyone thought about madnetic drain plugs (r sump plugs if you prefer) and how well they work/dont work?

Love mine from www.superplug.com on the bike and cage.
smile.gif

I believe they are worth it. On every car I've owned that has one (my 98 Formula had one as OEM!) I have noticed a grey buildup on the magnet at each oil change. Now, who knows, maybe the filter would have caught that anyways, but it's good to know that it's actually catching stuff. They aren't too expensive either. Now if I could just find one for my car up here I'd be all set!

By the way, great sig line! It's so true! Group 3 base oils are probably almost as good as PAOs, they just are so much cheaper to make that these oils using group 3 should be priced a lot lower.

All automatic transmissions have magnets placed in the pan bottoms, to trap metal particles from the clutch packs. I would think that magnets would be just as useful in engines, too. Theoretically there should be no metal particles in a well lubricated engine, but.......

Here's and idea.

Next time you change oil, slide a long cylindrical magnet (like you would find at Radio Shack) into the drain plug hole just far engough inside so that you would be able to retrive it with a pair of right-angle" needle-nosed pliers.

Sounds good but it would replace my drain valve. The ease of using the valve over a magnet is more important to me, assuming the materials caught in a magnet would be suspended in the oil and flow out at change time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back