Gun oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres lots of really good gun oils on the market but I've yet to find anything better then Slip 2000 EWL. I was sold on this lube after reading the "filthy 14" article. They put something like 40,000 rounds through an AR without cleaning and it was lubed with nothing but Slip 2000 ewl. I also use Tetra gun grease which works great in my Garand.

All manufactures of guns have their manuals. Use them if you have them. I use TW25B on my sigs, Chicom 7.62 and Walther PK380. I used Frog Lube and it works fine too. Bu, most important is use what is recommended by the manufacturer as I am sure their engineers know what is needed to keep it working and protected.

I have begun to use Frog Lube for sliding parts. It smells like wintergreen! I have used very VERY Tiny amounts of ceramic reinforced synthetic grease on the hammer of my Ruger revolvers where the hammer spring strut bears against it. Smoothed out the action a bit. IMO, one of the very best gun oils is ATF, applied sparingly with a needle oiler. The only caveat I have is for direct impingement gas systems, for those I'd recommend a 0W-30/40 engine oil on the rings.

Here is some good data from someone shooting 50000 rounds through a P226 at smith and wesson site.
"I kept a log on every round fired from the Navy P226. It was cleaned after almost every range session.
Here are some statistics:
*The recoil spring was replaced every 5,000 rounds.
*18,300 rds. the spring guide rod was replaced. It wore out from using Wolff springs (this is the only part replaced on the Sig).
*22,000-25,000, 3,000 between cleaning.
*28,000 rounds several failure to feed, due to faulty Remington ammo (these were the only failures).
*41,200 rounds hammer dropped three times (from single action). Continued to fire ok.
*126 trips to the range.
*Average 397 rounds fired per range trip.
*Cleaned with M-pro 7, and Gun Scrubber.
*Lubricants, Weapon Shield, and G96 oil.

Some ammunition statistics:
*Approximately 98% of the ammo fired was 115gr.
*Weight of fully loaded cartriges
1000rds.=26.36lbs.
10,000rds.=263.60lbs.
50,000rds.=1,318lbs.
*Total weight of bullets (based on 115gr. bullets)
60.87, 115gr bullets = 1 pound
50,000, 115gr bullets = 821.42lbs.
*50,000 rds. = 1,000, 50 round boxes
*1,000 boxes @ $10.00 each (approxmately)=$10,000"

When I clean I use Hoppes No.9 soaked on a patch, run it through the barrel about 8-10 times, then I soak a scrubber in it and do the same but frivolously for 15-30 seconds (depending on the fouling - I can spend 30 minutes cleaning my 870 if I've shot lead through it). I run a patch through to see if it's clean. If not, I repeat the process.

Once it's clean, I squirt some Rem Oil onto a patch and clean the outside, inside, and moving parts of the gun. Finally, I spray Super Tech lubricant onto the moving parts and cock the gun several times.

Everyone does it different though.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
A guy here who goes by the user name of AMC did a lot of research on gun oils. He said that he is an armorer. Right now he seems to feel that CorrosionX is the best. He said that Breakfree had declined in quality from where it once was. He also mentioned Ballistol and Birchwood Casey Synthetic gun oil.

I am using a combination of Breakfree and Birchwood Casey PTFE synthetic gun oil to lubricate my guns. The Birchwood Casey still has PTFE at least in the older containers. And the Breakfree still can clean and protect from rust pretty good.

I might start using CorrosionX.

My Father In Law uses BWC Bore Scrubber. I couldn't get my 870 clean with it so I took some Hoppes 9 and after 2 or 3 times it was clean as a whistle!

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Rem-oil or miltec for me. Hoppes is decent solvent but not an oil.

+1
Hoppes makes oil too. It's in the plastic orange bottle. I use it.

No not DEXRON-VI. It has been quite a while but I thought about you just a couple of days ago regarding another subject.

"DEXRON-VI"

Sorry I called it dex 6 wait till you hear me say Multi Vehicle LOL still around just job and life gets in the way sometimes hope you are well, Cheers

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
What are some of the best gun oils, and what gun parts do they lubricate?

Only thing I can think of is the slide on semi-automatics, and I heard Glocks "like not a lot of oil." Could be 100% wrong, but. Please explain?

I use Slick 50 One Lube on all of my firearms( one exception - see below ). I have had excellent success with it. Well, the original formula. They have recently reformulated it and I am hoping the new stuff is at least as good. You can all save the Slick 50 jokes too as this stuff really works great.
grin2.gif

http://www.slick50.com/ourProducts/oneLube.shtml

I use it everywhere on the gun except the stock and forearm. Basically all metal parts( i.e. working parts and exterior ). it works really, REALLY, well. It keeps the working parts properly lubed without attracting a lot of powder residue and turning it into a concrete like substance( a big problem with many lubes ). When used on the exterior it keeps it sealed/protected without being greasy or slippery( even though I spray the gun down heavily and let it sit and dry ). Not one spot of rust on any of my guns since swapping to it.

I am a big waterfowl hunter. That means hunting in some god awful conditions( rain, snow, sleet, extreme cold, mud, etc... ). Also, I only hunt out on the coast so that means saltwater. Saltwater and guns don't mix well. I put my gun through some real abuse. The oil/protectant I use is very important or the gun won't function when needed and/or will rust away.

I have tried all the popular traditional gun oils and find them lacking. Have tried many different general purpose lubricant sprays with varying success. Grabbed a can of One Lube at the local ACE hardware about 5+ years back for my boat and ended up using it on my gun as I was out of the stuff I was using( Castle Big5 silicone spray ). Haven't looked back since.

The only time I don't use it is in the dead of winter, when the temps really drop, on my semi auto shotgun. In extreme cold it can get a little thick and that slows the action down on my gun. For those times I use Royal Purple gun oil which is synthetic and isn't effected by the cold as bad. Pretty much I just use the RP on the return spring and the bolt slides, during extreme cold periods, as it is $10+ a can.

http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/product-categories/other/#!royal-purple-synthetic-gun-oil

As said above, Slick 50 recently reformulated One Lube. I hope it is still as good? Says it uses some synthetic additives now( don't think it did before? )so maybe I no longer need the RP gun oil in the cold? I will find out this winter I guess.

I have some expensive guns that are not out of the gun cabinet much as well. The One Lube does a great job on long term storage too. I clean all my stored guns every year but I swear they could go many years without any rust.

I used up my last can of the original stuff( red can w/ black cap )last week. I noticed when I stopped by the store to grab a couple cans that it is an all new can and new formula( says Supercharged on the can now ). I grabbed 3 cans and really hope it works as good as the original. I would hate the have to go back on the search for a new product to use. Especially since the original formula was almost perfect.

Slick 50 One Lube is available at ACE hardware and also Napa. Those are 2 places I know of anyway. About $5 a can. I highly recommend it.

I just can't get into aerosol cans of lube. You pay too much for the can and propellant, plus the wastage is too high. Frequently, I want one drop of lube in a exact spot. Pull out the can and everything gets a bath.

BSW

Forgot to add...

Different applications call for different oils and, more importantly, different additive packages.

Guns need oils that are:

Creepy (to migrate into hidden spaces).
Resist oxidation (because guns are not sealed).
Have excellent extreme pressure qualities (many stresses on a gun are impulsive shock loads).
Good against corrosion (because firearms are open to the elements).

Guns don't need oils that:

Are compatible with catalytic converters.
Are compatible with engine seals and gaskets.
Are muti-viscosity.
Scavenge acids.
Offer low resistance to moving engine parts for good gas mileage.

If you use motor oil in a gun you're paying for a product that's designed for a different application. Are there gun oils that are [censored]? Sure. Don't buy those.

I pay around $50 a gallon shipped for my gun oil*. It's Aeroshell Fluid 18 and is designed as a gun oil. Small reusable plastic bottles are a buck a pop and I've yet to wear one out.

BSW

*http://www.skygeek.com/aeroshell-fluid-18-gallon.html

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
I just can't get into aerosol cans of lube. You pay too much for the can and propellant, plus the wastage is too high. Frequently, I want one drop of lube in a exact spot. Pull out the can and everything gets a bath.

BSW

If you use the tube and press the button easy it barely trickles.

I use Hoppes 9 for the critical areas of my shotgun (rails, slide, action and barrel) and spray version of rem-oil for the not-so-critical areas (magazine tube and trigger assembly) and I also coat the outside in rem-oil when not be used (stored in closet for home-defense).

I have no evidence for or against what is the best lubes. The above is just what I've always used.

I'm a proponent of heavily oiling a weapon for storage and wiping down excess oil before use. I always leave some oil in the barrel until it's shooting time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I run most my guns a bit wet, especially when new and when just shooting from the (clean) bench. Don't care if they gooze a little bit.

I run my pumps wet but my semi auto 12g prefers a dryer approach. If I over lube it the gun doesn't cycle well. It can vary from gun to gun.

My Browning Gold works best with the piston soaked with Break Free. I usually need to clean my glasses after the first couple shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back