MMO Added To Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inherited a Snapper mower who while the previous owner used M1 synthetic oil - it had been over due for an oil change and the oil was black . I re-filled with a straight 30W conventional oil plus I added 25% MMO (13 oz. of 30W and 3oz. of MMO) . I figure I would run this mixture until the end of the season and then dump it and refill with M1 10W 30 and see how she does ...Anybody else use MMO to clean up a "suspect" small engine ?

Yes, several times, although I never added that much to the crankcase. I would keep a close eye on the oil level to make sure it isn't burning/leaking oil. If it were me, I would do at least one more drain and fill before the end of the season, that way you get a "double wammy" on cleaning and can see how much junk comes out when you drain the current fill.

I would run that mmo mix for an HOUR max ( with an ear out for abnormal racket) then refill with HD** oil - not automotive oil (though the small engines in push mowers seem to run on anything forever)

** Rotella 10w30 Triple Protect or T5 for a couple more bucks.

What is 30W oil? You meant SAE 30 GRADE?

All you needed was a good synthetic oil. If this is a walk behind, with no filter, maybe change the oil when it gets dark. Nothing the filter the crud out of the oil.

Forget the MMO, especially that percentage.

I ran the freebee, neglected Honda I mounted on my favorite Snapper for a couple cuttings on leftovers as a flush(whatever I had from Advance for the B&S that blew up), then changed to M1 0W-40... That was late in '11, same oil is still in it and hasn't needed any yet, also still fairly clean... Gonna change it soon(well maybe)...

Originally Posted By: Donald
All you needed was a good synthetic oil. If this is a walk behind, with no filter, maybe change the oil when it gets dark. Nothing the filter the crud out of the oil.

Forget the MMO, especially that percentage.

+1 just use Pennzoil Platinum 10w30 and change it 2-3 times in the season.

Last edited:
I've opened up quite a few neglected small engines, and I've never seen any with sludge inside. Part of that is due to the fuel dilution of the oil with these carb'd engines.

The MMO won't hurt it one bit, just make sure the oil level is full. Small air cooled engines run fairly hot, and the MMO might burn off quicker. Next change, I'd just throw in some Rotella T6 5w40. It has great cleaning properties and can take the abuse of the fuel dilution and high temps.
thumbsup2.gif

The Snapper has a B&S engine , no oil filter .
Yes , I will watch the oil level and keep the OCI short .
Yes , SAE 30 is what I meant .
Thanks for the Rotella T5/T6 recommendations ...I will certainly look into that ASAP!

On my Tecumseh powered Craftsman I bought at a garage sale, I just run Mystik SAE30 semi synthetic HDEO. A few short oil change intervals an I am sure it was probably fine.

This is an old post and I run MMO in the gas and oil, my mowers and string trimmer never miss a beat. I use 4-oz per quart of 30w motor oil, and 2 teaspoons per gallon of gas. After using a walk behind mower for a full 2-hours (two tanks of gas to mow my yard) the oil level is fine and a pink tint remains in the oil. People who say not to use MMO are just paranoid about dilution, modern oil is much thinner and I have not had any problem using MMO in my 2-cycle, push mower, riding mower or any vehicle. In fact, MMO added to a differential cleans up the burnt oil as a flush treatment with minimal cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back