Econoline dually... what's that about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a pair of these headed the other way, so I didn't get a good look at them. However, I did see a couple more summer camp 15 passenger vans following in a presumed caravan.

Did they ever make these stock?

Was there ever a dually retrofit to passenger vans to make them less tippy? I do recall the short wheelbase vans becoming almost uninsurable a few years back due to tipover problems. These vans had the typical awful fiberglass extension fenders.

I can't say for sure they were passenger vans; could have been equipment/ gear vans. Don't recall seeing if they were set up for trailering either.
21.gif

I saw a Chevy Tahoe dually the other day, I thought it looked kind of strange. I don't think the van or the Tahoe come like that from the factory.

Ford never made dually E-Series passenger vans or regular cargo vans...only chassis cabs.

A number of companies have made dually conversions for different types of trucks over the years, both as complete vehicles and kits. I remember JC Whitney used to sell a dually kit with fiberglass GM style fender flares in their catalog.

3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks with full floating rear axles are the easiest to convert since they are just missing some parts from the factory. There have been 1/2 ton dually conversions made though, even dually small trucks like Rangers, S-10s, and old Toyotas.

I've seen a few wacky conversions in these parts, too-usually involves stuffing a cab & chassis dually rear underneath a SRW truck & tubbing the rear, seen a Suburban & a standard bed pickup (both GM) done that way.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Did they ever make these stock?

No.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Was there ever a dually retrofit to passenger vans to make them less tippy?

Yes.

Someone on another board I'm on has a DRW-converted E350...his is a 15-pax van, he converted it to tow a very heavy (10,000+lb) camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back