Who makes Mazda OEM Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 hatch with the 2.0L engine, and I just picked up 3 oil filters at the dealer.

I was wondering who makes these oil filters. On the box it says Made in the U.S.A.!
The inlet holes look like rounded rectangles (not circles). It has a silicone orange ADBV.

Anyway I was just curious, as these filters were pretty cheap at around 8$, and if I don't have to bother getting Wix filters at another store that would be great to be able to stick to OEM.

What REALLY surprised me is they only charged $6.50/Litre for 0W20!! And I am pretty sure in Canada they still use Idemitsu as the supplier. I really like Idemitsu oil as I have used it in the past and it is very smooth.

Thank you for your help!

Originally Posted By: Falken
I have a 2010 Mazda 3 hatch with the 2.0L engine, and I just picked up 3 oil filters at the dealer.

I was wondering who makes these oil filters. On the box it says Made in the U.S.A.!
e able to stick to OEM.

What's it say on the filter itself ... anything about manufacturer?

Those aren't cartridge filters? I have an OEM Mazda filter here in front of me for the g/f's Mazda3 2.3 engine and its a cartridge filter. Box says made in USA but the filter itself doesn't say where its made.

The filter is a white can, with black writing.

On the front of the filter, it is the Mazda logo and says Mazda.

Under the logo it says: LF05-14-302B.

This is repeated 3 times around the can, and it says once: MADE IN THE USA.

On the side of the can, in red and written bottom to top: F05E21D1.

The black nitrile base seal has a yellow and white stripe that is visible on the side of the seal. It has 6 baseplate crimps to hold it in place.

It has 7 base plate oil inlet holes that are rectangles with round ends. Between the inlet holes are the numbers: 3, 4, 16.

I am pretty sure it isn't a WIX, but I have handled a ton of WIX and this thing looks to me to be a WIX but the baseplate holes are throwing me off.

If this thing is a WIX that would be amazing!

I am super curious now thanks for the help guys!

That is a Purolator manufacturing date code, so that combined with made in the USA, I'd say it was made by Purolator.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks a lot ZeeOSix!!

So I definitely won't bother with a WIX filter in this application!

I'm really glad it isn't a OEM Fram like on my Honda!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

That is a Purolator manufacturing date code, so that combined with made in the USA, I'd say it was made by Purolator.
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, that particular filter is made by Purolator. I'd say its a Purolator L10241 shell with maybe different ADBV. No telling whether the media is the same or not.

Make sure to cut it open after you use it to see what the guts look like.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
thumbsup2.gif

...and the "rounded-rectangle" inlet holes!

I know my Skyactiv filters are made in Japan by Toyo-Roki. They have pre-lubed o-ring gaskets and no ADBV since they mount baseplate up.

The 2010 Mazda 2.0L owner's only specs 5W-20 oil for that engine. Mazda moved to 0W-20, for 2011 and newer for the 2.0L.
Do you have anything saying Mazda approves of 0W-20 for 2010 Mazda's? I am interested as I have a 2010 Mazda 3. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Odd. Most Mazda OEM spin-on filters are made by toyo-roki.

The LF05-14-302B, L321-14-302A-9U, AJTM-14-302, YF09-14-302A and ZZL0-14-302 are all for the Ford clone cars and come from Purolator.

The inlet holes look like rounded rectangles (not circles). It has a silicone orange ADBV.

Anyway I was just curious, as these filters were pretty cheap at around 8$, and if I don't have to bother getting Wix filters at another store that would be great to be able to stick to OEM.

What REALLY surprised me is they only charged $6.50/Litre for 0W20!! And I am pretty sure in Canada they still use Idemitsu as the supplier. I really like Idemitsu oil as I have used it in the past and it is very smooth.

Thank you for your help!

For a few cents over $8....you can purchase a top-of-the-line synthetic media filter at WalMart....the Fram ULTRA. Don't know how much they cost in Canada....but next time your in the US, pick up some at WM.

Also, while your at a US WalMart, and to save more $$$, pick up M-1 0w20 in 5 quart jugs (for about $22.79 US) , and you'll save alot of money verses the Mazda 0w20 at $6.50. Your vehicle won't know the difference...and you'll be dollars ahead.

Oregoonian,

I may start using Wix XP for both the cars we have (Honda Fit and Mazda 3) but I'd have to order a few as XP aren't that popular at the local parts guy.

But up in Montreal we don't get great deals on oil filters if you want a bit of quality. Not a FRAM fan, just preference.

I am seeing some amazing Mobil 1 UOAs recently, now I hate to nit pick but I just detest the 4.4L jugs.

If EOM could start making a 5L jug and compete with Pennzoil maybe I'd take the plunge.

BUT, I can get Idemitsu 0W20 at the Mazda dealer for $6.50/L, so I don't know how I am going to beat that when I have to purchase more oil to replenish the stash.

I will probably get a case of 12 Idemitsu 0W20 and call it a day at that price. I have used the oil in the past and I am amazed at how smooth the stuff is even in -25C weather.

I am running PU 5W20 now and this stuff is thick. I'll have to see how well it works over the Winter. Last Winter I used Idemitsu 0W20 and the car started flawlessly and was very easy on the starter and the battery. I love that oil!

Originally Posted By: Danno
The 2010 Mazda 2.0L owner's only specs 5W-20 oil for that engine. Mazda moved to 0W-20, for 2011 and newer for the 2.0L.
Do you have anything saying Mazda approves of 0W-20 for 2010 Mazda's? I am interested as I have a 2010 Mazda 3. Thanks.
0w20 won't hurt your engine
smile.gif

Oregoonian,

BUT, I can get Idemitsu 0W20 at the Mazda dealer for $6.50/L, so I don't know how I am going to beat that when I have to purchase more oil to replenish the stash.

My dealer just quoted me $6.25 per liter. I will be buying a case and using it in my 2010 Mazda 3 with the OEM Mazda filter.

Thanks for the info Falken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back