Oil Filter Comparison Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: xwhaler
Looks like the Fram Ultra won

Still leery of Fram, since their commitment to quality seems questionable. I may switch from M1 to Royal Purple.

Then again, I was a "B" student, too.

That study has been up quite a while, probably getting a little outdated as to what's actually inside current-build filters.

But yeah, far and away the winners are RP, EA (which are both made by one division of Frampion), and Fram Ultra (the other division of Frampion). No coincidence that they're all synthetic lofted media types, whereas the rest are more conventional media types.

For non-extended FCI of less than 10k miles, Purolator Classic at $3.xx is a good value filter. For extended FCI of more than 10k miles, Fram Ultra can't be beat.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: xwhaler
Looks like the Fram Ultra won

Still leery of Fram, since their commitment to quality seems questionable. I may switch from M1 to Royal Purple.

Then again, I was a "B" student, too.

Yup I dont trust Fram filters.
I will be trying RP oil filter the next oil change
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
For non-extended FCI of less than 10k miles, Purolator Classic at $3.xx is a good value filter. For extended FCI of more than 10k miles, Fram Ultra can't be beat.

+1 I agree with your opinion. Fram ULTRA is by-and-far the best bang for the buck in top-tier synthetic filters...for long OCI's (10K to 15K). It also can be used twice for shorter OCI's in the 7K to 8K area (2 X 7.5K).

At $8.97 at WM....for a synthetic media filter....it can't be beat.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

+1 I agree with your opinion. Fram ULTRA is by-and-far the best bang for the buck in top-tier synthetic filters...for long OCI's (10K to 15K). It also can be used twice for shorter OCI's in the 7K to 8K area (2 X 7.5K).

At $8.97 at WM....for a synthetic media filter....it can't be beat.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I really find myself caring ever less each time I see a "study" like this.

Want to impress me? Show me real world, statistically valid, wear results from well controlled DOE trials.

The whole point of a filter is to clean fluid. Great; I get that. But the whole point of fluid is to protect a piece of equipment. That is an indirect relationship; filter to oil, oil to equipment.

"Better" filtration does not always equate to "better" equipment protection. There is a finite law of diminishing return where the increase of beta efficiency does not show significant gain in wear reduction.

I have yet to find a truly well designed and executed real study that credibly links these concepts. And as an SAE member, I've looked through a LOT of data over the years. If you know of one, then by all means, bring it forth for scrutiny by all please!

Hi all, great forum.

I have used Ryco oil filters, changed every 5-7.5K km for the last 200K km on my 1FZFE Land Cruiser and never had an issue. I dismantle them from time to time to satisfy my curious mind, but it's all in vain, they are perfect every time.

When I see studies like that, I always question the motives of who funded it. Too many people suffer from 'Analysis Paralysis' from these sorts of studies and their alleged results.

I run purolator whites in a bunch of our cars. Changes occur between 5k and 7k without issue ever.

Originally Posted By: dbbd022
What would be the longest you guys recommend running a Purolater Classic filter? I'm using one for the first time and am planning on going around 6K with it.

Depends on the condition of your engine, and what kind of driving conditions you do.

dnewton3 I have yet to find a truly well designed and executed real study that credibly links these concepts. And as an SAE member said:
Why is there such a dearth of data? The cost of undertaking a study? Doesn't seem that complicated - not like a vaccine trial or something like that. They're just freakin' oil filters
smile.gif

I really wish they would have tested a Trd filter, Toyota high performance filter. From the pics I've seen them they look awesome. triple layer of synthetic material. I'm actually had one ordered and am going to be picking it up tomorrow. It had to be shipped in from Vancouver. Still trying to figure out if they're good for 10k miles. Their website states for the regular oil service of the vehicle, hmmm....

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

I have yet to find a truly well designed and executed real study that credibly links these concepts. And as an SAE member, I've looked through a LOT of data over the years. If you know of one, then by all means, bring it forth for scrutiny by all please!

Why is there such a dearth of data? The cost of undertaking a study? Doesn't seem that complicated - not like a vaccine trial or something like that. They're just freakin' oil filters
smile.gif

There are plenty of write-ups on the subject.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=engine+wear+vs+particle+size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back