How long does it take MOS2 to do its work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put half a can of Liqui Moly MOS2 in the Accord and Uplander today, how long does it take to plate all the parts? and how long does the protective layer last after the oil w/ MOS2 is removed by an oil change?

IMHO the term "plate" is rather misleading. It's more like "coat" if it loses it's effectiveness in such short duration.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
IMHO the term "plate" is rather misleading. It's more like "coat" if it loses it's effectiveness in such short duration.

Q.

True, which is why I used quotes. However if you ever tried removing it from a rifle barrel which had moly burnished into it from shooting moly coated bullets, the term "plate" comes to mind. It is almost as if the moly becomes part of the barrel. I seriously doubt that's the case with engine internals, so once again "coat" is probably the better choice of a word.

I use a can each oil change. Overkil? Mayb but I don't think it has any negative effect either.

I have one engine that takes 7 QTS , and two that take approx 4.5 QTS. I one can to each .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
300 - 500 miles and I'd use a full can for the first application.

My thoughts exactly. I guess you can't really know for sure, but I couldn't detect any engine sound difference at first, but definitely noted it was quieter by 500 miles.

Ok, so the general consensus is about 500 miles then. I dont think I will be using this stuff anymore, just because you have to keep using it every/every other oil change for it to stay "plated". I dont feel like spending an extra $8 per OCI for it. If I was a conventional user, I might consider it again. Im not even sure if it would be giving me any long term reliability benefits. And I dont like the fact that it makes the oil milky looking =P. Which is a moot point I know, but still. Im guessing as long as I keep using a good syn the engine should be fine. Just felt like trying it so I did! Its been around 100 mi and it does seem a LITTLE quieter but it could be placebo effect.

It's not bad if you stick with it, a full bottle initially and a half bottle per OCI works well for most people. I ran it for about 12k straight when I was doing longer OCI's.

It costs me a little less than $6 a can at my Napa. I use it for the piece of mind in my engines. I plan on keeping them for as long as I can, and the idea of added wear protection seems worth it to me. When I'm already spending the extra money for premium syn oils and filters it doesn't seem like an extra $6 is that bif of a deal. Just skip the mcdonalds that day lol But I'm also one of those people who doesn't mind spending extra to get the best. I spent a lot of money buying them, and don't really mind spending a little more to take care of them. But that's just me, I know other people are tighter with their money and there is nothing wrong with that.

It can take up to 500 miles to achieve full effect. Add the whole can,then half a can every oil change after.
Using it saves me fuel. So 4 bucks into the oil definitely saves me more than that in fuel.
Track your mileage. You'll see

It hasnt done much yet in the Uplander or Accord. The Accord is a bit quieter but Uplander remains the same. It may improve MPG, but over the course of an OCI how does it hold up? Is it prone to sludgeing or other issues? And ive heard alot about competing add packs. For now I think Ill just go back to using regular (syn) oil with no additives, I might revisit this stuff when my cars hit 150k miles or more. We will see, I like the "protection" factor it offers, but I dont know if that protection will actually increase engine life. If it was only $4 I would probably use it more often, but its $8 here, making my $30 oil change turn into a near $40 oil change. Oh, and I just saw the UOA and saw 0.9 insols? whats up with that.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
It hasnt done much yet in the Uplander or Accord. The Accord is a bit quieter but Uplander remains the same. It may improve MPG, but over the course of an OCI how does it hold up? Is it prone to sludgeing or other issues? And ive heard alot about competing add packs. For now I think Ill just go back to using regular (syn) oil with no additives, I might revisit this stuff when my cars hit 150k miles or more. We will see, I like the "protection" factor it offers, but I dont know if that protection will actually increase engine life. If it was only $4 I would probably use it more often, but its $8 here, making my $30 oil change turn into a near $40 oil change. Oh, and I just saw the UOA and saw 0.9 insols? whats up with that.

Its a solid lubricant. Insols will increase. I ran it in my mustang for ever 100000kms and when I tore the engine apart there was no sludge whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Its a solid lubricant. Insols will increase. I ran it in my mustang for ever 100000kms and when I tore the engine apart there was no sludge whatsoever.
Wouldnt the high insols increase wear?

Wouldnt the high insols increase wear?

No, because the MoS2 insols are not abrasive, like in case of soot.
However, I read that for fuel efficiency increase, you need 1% after suspension in oil. The LM comes about 1% in the can and gets diluted to about 0.1% in oil. Too low to produce fuel efficiency increase according to the SAE studies I read.

When you read amazon reviews, some people had some MPG increase, some people had decrease, and some people had no difference. Sounds like MPG neutral overall to me. Most oils have soluble moly already anyhow.

Clevy is a very lucky man.

And Greg, with the MoS2 being tiny solid moly particles it shouldn't IMO affect the "chemistry" of the oil, it simply would use the oil as a carrier. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back