New Selenia direct injection specific lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owners of new Alfa Romeos with the 1750tbi (GDI) engine noted the oil recommended by the dealers had changed from Selenia Star PE 5w40 ACEA C3 to this new Selenia Sport Power 5w40 ACEA C3 FIAT 9.55535-GH2 without any explanation why. What made it worse was the service bulletin circulating and warning "The use of products with different specifications than those indicated above could cause damage to the engine not covered by the warranty". There was no information on Selenia's website as to the reason or what sort of damaged Selenia Star PE had done so speculation was rife, a lot of people thought the lube was to combat turbo failures.

Anyway Selenia has finally released some info (above) and it appears the new lube is specific for direct injection applications. It holds the sole description "a fully synthetic lubricant especially designed to enhance the sporting characteristics of direct injection petrol engines(GDI)" I wonder how good really is and what they have done?

Last edited:
Might be a translation thing but I don't know about an oil designed to enhance the sporting characteristics of direct injection petrol engines(GDI). Not sure I have ever seen an oil that enhanced characteristics before.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
Might be a translation thing but I don't know about an oil designed to enhance the sporting characteristics of direct injection petrol engines(GDI). Not sure I have ever seen an oil that enhanced characteristics before.

I have owned several Italian cars (Lancia and Alfa), and I learned one thing: Never doubt Selenia Oil!!

My guess is they are trying new additives and bases (notice the ester mix) to help prevent oil from turning into a solid deposit when it hits a hot surface (such as an intake valve). The absolute specifics are still a mystery for now.

Last edited:
Maximum NOACK limit of 10% for start. There are probably other FCA specifics that we'll never know.

Personally, if out of warranty, I would be fine with LL-04 ,229.51. Certainly wouldn't mind OEM Selenia, but would not go out of my way to find it.

Heaps of thanks, Chrisri.
Fiat GH2 is higher spec'ed.
cheers3.gif

NOAK is a good catch.
Usually this not stated in oils' specs
eek.gif

Locally Selenia Sport costs almost 4 times more than Valvoline and Motul.
I wounder if it's worth it and really would do a better job in the 1.75 tbi engine....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back