Chevy truck fuel pump, is it dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I have a 1996 Chevy C1500 5.7L with 154k miles. It runs great, has plenty of power, but yesterday I drove across town after it sat for 2 weeks low on gas, I put 30 bucks in gas in it, parked it and went out to start it a few hours later, and it sputtered, I couldn't hear the fuel pump, and it just cranked. About 5 minutes later I tried and it started fine. Later that day after starting it in a parking lot, after 30 seconds of idling, it died but started right up afterwards. I've owned it for 2.5 years and its always had a buzzing fuel pump, original owner said he put 2 or 3 fuel pumps in it. It has a new fuel filter and the last few months it cranks for a couple seconds then fires right up. Also it smells like it runs a little rich. Had O'Reilly's scan the computer, no results found. Is the fuel pump dying or?

I would suspect the pump. Put your head down there by the tank and have someone turn the key on and see if you hear it running. Another thing that is suspect is that the previous owner put 2-3 pumps in it. Some of the no name aftermarket pumps you get from pep boys, AZ, or wherever are pretty poorly made and dont last.

You can also check the fuel pump relay which is one the passenger side of the firewall with a test light to see if it is working.

The truck runs, and the pump has always made a somewhat loud buzzing sound while running.

Do you run it under 1/4 tank very often? Did the previous owner? Did he buy cheap fuel pumps?
Fuel pumps are one area I refuse to skimp on. Starters and alternators are easy to change, in-tank pumps are a pain. If you replace the pump, use a quality part like AC Delco or Delphi. And keep the tank full! Or at least half full... You're in AZ, and heat kills fuel pumps... gasoline helps keep them cool.

add lucas fuel additive to the gas tank. this should lube the pump to keep it running. try one oz./5gal. gas.

My 96 5.0 K1500 GMC had a very loud pump that kept running great until I sold it. Some of these trucks use a gerotor pump that I'm told run loud by design. Supposedly the the trade off is that they are very robust and tolerant of contaminates in the fuel.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Do you run it under 1/4 tank very often? Did the previous owner? Did he buy cheap fuel pumps?
Fuel pumps are one area I refuse to skimp on. Starters and alternators are easy to change, in-tank pumps are a pain. If you replace the pump, use a quality part like AC Delco or Delphi. And keep the tank full! Or at least half full... You're in AZ, and heat kills fuel pumps... gasoline helps keep them cool.

+1 this. ^^^^

I know those trucks eat fuel pumps. Our mechanics can drop a tank and replace one in an hour they have so much practice. I have driven the truck a lot with the low fuel light on as the guy that's supposed to fuel the shop truck (has the fuel card) is side tracked doing other stuff.

Not that this gives you any helpful information, but I had a 85 S-10 chevy blazer that the fuel pump went out at 75K and 150k. At 75K, it was in Death Valley (Spring time, thank God). My Chevy 2001 Silverado’s fuel pump went out at 98K, 1 k before the free extended warranty I won from Chevy was due to expire (There was also a transmission seal that they replaced at the same time that was covered.)

I'm guessing it's the fuel pump as well.

Some make loud buzzing noises for a long time before the die.

Put a Motorcraft fuel pump in there. They last a long time. You can get tham at your local Ford dealer.

In theory, the fuel going through the fuel pump is what cools it, not sitting in the fuel tank. So the level does not matter as long as you do not run out.

What is the history for the fuel pump?

If its like my 1993 Suburban, you may need the fuel assembly rather than just the pump if the fittings do not turn on the steel fuel line, but instead snap it. Some PB Blaster may be in order on the fuel line fittings where the steel lines change to rubber.

Do yourself a favor and replace it as soon as it is convenient. I once suspected mine was going out only to have my suspicions confirmed on the shoulder of I45 between Dallas and Houston…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back