2013-2014 Ford Fusion (Hybrid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be purchasing a car in the next year or so and am considering the new Fusions. Anyone have experience with the vehicle? I'm not yet sure whether I want to get the hybrid or non hybrid model, so experience on either model will be helpful. And I also heard they are pushing out an update for the hybrid software that will improve fuel economy. (to where it should have been in the first place.). anyone have experience with the post update hybrid? Is the hybrid worth it? I drive 5-15 miles a day but that could go up in the near future. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2012 Non-hybrid, I'm not a fan of hybrids.
my 2012 has the 2.5 4cyl motor, I avg about 33-34mpg, it cruises nice, pretty comfortable for me, I didn't even hesitate to look at one. Tires aren't cheap for it though, $200 each.
But the Sync system works very well, the voice recognition is almost perfect, the sound system is good, not great, but I'm ok with it. the 4cyl motor has some get up & go on it, climbing a hill, you know it's a 4cyl.
trying to pass is sometimes an issue, the 6spd tranny is pretty solid, but at times it doesn't know which gear to switch to so there's a lag.
maintenance wise, it's straighforward, I haven't had to buy any unusual tools, a tuneup on it will be a snap, no timing belt to deal with, no power steering hoses to deal with, as it has an electric rack on it. steering is precise and very nimble.
There's lotsa a room in the backseat and the trunk space is pretty well designed for a mid-sized sedan.

the 2013 is a new beast, it was out of my price range at the time, but it's an all new design in and out.
They're selling very well and I see them all over the place.
The Fusion I have is so popular I had to put a hood shield on so I know it was mine. I have white and they're very popular around where I'm at.
I don't see the 2013 being anything but better.
It would be a solid choice for you.

We have two 2011 Fusion Hybrids at work. They're from a previous generation, but they may still be comparable to some degree, especially the powertrain.

Except for subjective engine noise (the 2.5L sounds coarse and grainy to me), Ford's hybrid powertrain is top-notch. These Fusion Hybrids are rocketships. Push the pedal down and it puts you in the back of the seat and it simply doesn't quit until you do. The CVT is very well-tuned, there's no shift shock or delay in response, and the engine and electric motor(s) work very well together. It's very seamless, and I'm quite impressed with it. Seriously, it's a very well-sorted drivetrain. I average in the mid-40s with them. If I'm trying, I can get 50 mpg in a city environment.

I'm less impressed with the rest of the car, but the car has changed completely for 2013, and I'm sure there are good improvements. If the powertrain of the new hybrid, however, is at least similar to the old one, you're looking at a very solid player.

Originally Posted By: ericgcollyer
I'm going to be purchasing a car in the next year or so and am considering the new Fusions. I drive 5-15 miles a day but that could go up in the near future. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you're only driving 15 miles a day, get a Volt. The battery is supposed to give 30 miles of driving before the engine kicks in. In the Wisconsin winter, it might not get the 30 miles, but the Volt will operate more or less like a normal gasoline-powered car once the engine kicks in. Will you be parking the car inside or outside?

Last edited:
My 07 has been outstanding. I have replaced the water pump and coolant thermostat. Nothing else. Ride is good, good MPG, and plenty of room.

I rent fusions regularly. I like the way they drive as they feel a bit less floaty than the Camry and the new fusion drives better still. But if I were to pick between the Camry hybrid and the fusion, I'd pick the Camry without any doubt. It simply seems more refined and looks to me to have better build quality. Both achieve equal real world mpg.

But there are Camry hybrids with major miles now. It's now known to be an utterly reliable hybrid system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hypervish
If you're looking at a hybrid for sure, then get a Camry Hybrid or Prius.

IMO, Toyota clearly has the better hybrid system, and they have sold way more Hybrids than Ford.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/31/toyota-sells-six-of-10-of-hybrids-in-california/

I wouldn't say that they are "better" just because they have better sales number.

Both seems to be using a 2 motor planetary gear CVT setup, and it will be the electronics that set them apart. Base on that, you can tell which one is a "better" system by the real life fuel economy.

Reliability wise, I'd trust the larger volume seller as they have probably spent more R&D and FA to iron out more small issues than the smaller volume seller. So far both seems to do fine, they may both be good enough for you.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
If you're looking at a hybrid for sure, then get a Camry Hybrid or Prius.

IMO, Toyota clearly has the better hybrid system, and they have sold way more Hybrids than Ford.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/31/toyota-sells-six-of-10-of-hybrids-in-california/

I don't really see anything clearly better about Toyota's hybrid system. They actually seem pretty similar to me, and the Ford hybrids have proven to be super-reliable. There are just fewer of them on the road.

There is a huge stink and lawsuit over Ford hybrids not delivering EPA fuel mileage or even close to it. They advertise 47/47 and are good for about 37/37 according to owners. Bottom line is that Ford gamed the EPA tests. I would not buy one but thats me and I like Fords in general. Ford is scrambling now with software updates ect because of the bad publicity. EPA is also investigating but I doubt much will be made of that. Ford beat them at their own game and the consumer is going to the loser with poor fuel mileage.

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
There is a huge stink and lawsuit over Ford hybrids not delivering EPA fuel mileage or even close to it. They advertise 47/47 and are good for about 37/37 according to owners. Bottom line is that Ford gamed the EPA tests. I would not buy one but thats me and I like Fords in general. Ford is scrambling now with software updates ect because of the bad publicity. EPA is also investigating but I doubt much will be made of that. Ford beat them at their own game and the consumer is going to the loser with poor fuel mileage.

This one?

Quote:
A class action lawsuit has been filed alleging that the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid sedan and C-Max Hybrid wagon were sold under false and deceptive fuel economy claims. Ford advertised that the Fusion and C-Max hybrid vehicles could achieve a class-leading 47 miles-per-gallon, but recent reports suggest that the vehicles’ fuel economy was overestimated by up to 20%.

Ford Fusion, C-Max Gas Mileage Claims are Inaccurate

The class action lawsuit against Ford was filed shortly after ConsumerReports.org tested the fuel economy claims of the 2013 Fusion Hybrid sedan and C-Max Hybrid wagon. Ford claimed that the vehicles boasted a "47 city/47 highway/ and 47 combined mpg"; however, Consumer Reports found that the Fusion Hybrid achieved a 39 overall mpg, and 35 and 41 in city and highway conditions, respectively. Similarly, the C-Max Hybrid delivered a 37 overall mpg, with 35 for city and 38 for highway conditions. According to Consumer Reports, this was the largest overall mpg discrepancy it has seen among any current models; the overall mpg listed on the vehicles' fuel economy labels was off by 10 and 8 mpg, respectively, which translates to about 20%, according to the report.

http://www.forthepeople.com/class-action-lawyers/ford-gas-mileage-lawsuit

And this:

Quote:
So far, the wave of lawsuits hasn't hurt sales of the C-Max or Fusion Hybrid, though it's still early in the legal battle. The EPA, which determines (sort of) the mileage numbers Ford and other automakers put on window stickers, says that it's confident the ratings of both Ford vehicles are sound but will review them. Both Ford and the EPA have emphasized real-world mileage results are completely dependent on how the driver operates the vehicle. That hasn't gone over well with people filing class action lawsuits.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/17/ford-hit-with-another-mpg-lawsuit-claim/

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: nomochevys

This one?

Quote:
A class action lawsuit has been filed alleging that the 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid sedan and C-Max Hybrid wagon were sold under false and deceptive fuel economy claims. Ford advertised that the Fusion and C-Max hybrid vehicles could achieve a class-leading 47 miles-per-gallon, but recent reports suggest that the vehicles’ fuel economy was overestimated by up to 20%.

Ford Fusion, C-Max Gas Mileage Claims are Inaccurate

The class action lawsuit against Ford was filed shortly after ConsumerReports.org tested the fuel economy claims of the 2013 Fusion Hybrid sedan and C-Max Hybrid wagon. Ford claimed that the vehicles boasted a "47 city/47 highway/ and 47 combined mpg"; however, Consumer Reports found that the Fusion Hybrid achieved a 39 overall mpg, and 35 and 41 in city and highway conditions, respectively. Similarly, the C-Max Hybrid delivered a 37 overall mpg, with 35 for city and 38 for highway conditions. According to Consumer Reports, this was the largest overall mpg discrepancy it has seen among any current models; the overall mpg listed on the vehicles' fuel economy labels was off by 10 and 8 mpg, respectively, which translates to about 20%, according to the report.

http://www.forthepeople.com/class-action-lawyers/ford-gas-mileage-lawsuit

And this:

Quote:
So far, the wave of lawsuits hasn't hurt sales of the C-Max or Fusion Hybrid, though it's still early in the legal battle. The EPA, which determines (sort of) the mileage numbers Ford and other automakers put on window stickers, says that it's confident the ratings of both Ford vehicles are sound but will review them. Both Ford and the EPA have emphasized real-world mileage results are completely dependent on how the driver operates the vehicle. That hasn't gone over well with people filing class action lawsuits.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/05/17/ford-hit-with-another-mpg-lawsuit-claim/

Pretty sure thats the ones. A lot of people try to pin this on consumer reports but owners are raising three kinds of heck over it as well. The EPA testing here is the biggest problem but Ford is being disingenuous also imo.

The first issue I have with Ford Hybrids is the harsh engine noise. Sure, they are (naturally) a bit more quiet when new, but they sound awful to me. Especially after a few miles.

The Toyota's simply sound refined to me, and others agree.

I also liked the way the Toyota system integrates the engine-motor-battery-regen system operation far better.

One good thing about the noisy Ford, you can tell when the engine is off.

There is a white one always parked outside of my gym, and it is absolutely stunning looking.

However noisy the motor is, the looks make up for it!

The interior of the Fusion just seems like it is better put together than the Camry. I am sure they are both quality cars, but I think the interior of the Fusion fits together better. Also, I love how the exterior of the Fusion looks. I was just wondering about the reliability of the cars. I also hear they (Ford) use a timing chain rather than a timing belt which means that it never has to be changed.

Originally Posted By: ericgcollyer
The interior of the Fusion just seems like it is better put together than the Camry. I am sure they are both quality cars, but I think the interior of the Fusion fits together better. Also, I love how the exterior of the Fusion looks. I was just wondering about the reliability of the cars. I also hear they (Ford) use a timing chain rather than a timing belt which means that it never has to be changed.

I am reasonably sure the Toyota uses a timing chain.

I am not at all sure I agree that the Fusion interior is better or worse. In fact, I'd rate them as equals in the interior department, remember to compare the trim levels available. The rental Camry's I seem to get are very well assembled, with what appears to be good quality components. No issue there.

I do like the Fusion better in the looks department. Interestingly, both cars are within 0000.1 cubic feet of interior volume! And real world MPG's match exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back