fram filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
They look like a good filter but I hate the plastic bypass valve ALL Fram oil filters have.

The Tough Gaurd puts a screen over it,
however its plastic and that can become hard and brittle IMO........

...b.c we all know the Honda oil filter is a FRAM Tough Guard.

Fram did away with TG's screen over bypass several years back.

While the Fram made Honda oil filter may look similar in construction to the TG, as has been pointed out here many times, there is a big difference in efficiency between the two.

Wouldn't be the least bit concerned with the durability of the nylon-like bypass material.

According to the Fram manufacturing videos, the "plastic" bypass valve is tested at 500F degrees, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:
According to the Fram manufacturing videos, the "plastic" bypass valve is tested at 500F degrees, if I'm not mistaken.

I actually saw the bypass test machine in action while at the Fram test labs. I have complete confidence that the bypass is very durable and not a point of weakness in the design. The term plastic gives a false impression of it's durabilty imo. As said, it's more likely a nylon or nylon composite material. Similar to the nylon cages and endcaps used on many cartridge filters.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We can only report our own experience with our fleet.

We used OCOD's for almost a decade in everything, and I owned a lot more vehicles at that time.

Probably used a hundred or more in everything. Boats, cars, motorcycles, you name it. Never had a single issue.

I'm not telling anyone that they are somehow great, just that they never hurt us in any noticeable way.

Back years ago before there was internet thats all I ever used was FRAM. I remember the first FRAM Oil filter I bought for my Bronco II, then the 2nd oil change I did on it I remember the guy a MURRYS auto parts tell me to use the Motorcraft Oil filter and then he sold me Boesh Plat Plugs for my Bronco II, However I would switch up.. Somtimes use the FRAM and other times use the Motorcraft . Back then no one ever cut open a oil filter.

However I was in very very COLD weather and to be honest I never had a problem. However Cars today are far more advanced then they were back int he early 80s. I mean that Brono II was not in Fuel Injected.. It had a Carb on it and no A/C and it was a stick, and it was 4x4.. I miss that Truck... I dunno why FORD stopped making the Bronco IIs.. Anyways you are correct. However today I never use the FRAM cheap oil filter, I have used the Toughgaurd via the Honda OEM... Since its basically a Tough Gaurd..

TO be honest if you change your oil each 3K miles I really do not think a FRAM will hurt your car and if you live in warm weather...

However I like Peace of mind... I like to know I have a good oil filter on my car
smile.gif

We all know that an orange can is just fine provided we use it for what it is intended for.....a 5000 km oil change. Although, my buddy uses them for 8000 km OCI with Castrol Syntec.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
We all know that an orange can is just fine provided we use it for what it is intended for.....a 5000 km oil change. Although, my buddy uses them for 8000 km OCI with Castrol Syntec.

So what about the new Orange Can boxes that say to use them for 5,000 MILES/8,000 km? Has something changed to make them better/last longer?

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980

So what about the new Orange Can boxes that say to use them for 5,000 MILES/8,000 km? Has something changed to make them better/last longer?

They could always go further than that on a clean engine. The "3000 Mile" rule is a gimmick to get you to spend more money.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980

Can't quote on it. I only run an orange can 5000 km with conventional oil. Like I said, my buddy does them 8K with Castrol.

The fact that so many people trash Fram on the internet but very few have any real evidence of a Fram failure other than the one where "my buddy almost blew up his $20,000 700hp engine with a Fram" story that comes out every once in a while...tells me they are probably pretty good since the company is well aware of this negative public opinion. So, they have to pay close attention to any negative performance issues.

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
The fact that so many people trash Fram on the internet but very few have any real evidence of a Fram failure other than the one where "my buddy almost blew up his $20,000 700hp engine with a Fram" story that comes out every once in a while...tells me they are probably pretty good since the company is well aware of this negative public opinion. So, they have to pay close attention to any negative performance issues.
Fram can and does make a good filter, it just ISN'T the OCOD and the good Frams are overpriced.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
Fram can and does make a good filter, it just ISN'T the OCOD and the good Frams are overpriced.

The Fram "ULTRA' is not overpriced. In fact, its the best "bang for the buck" in top-tier synthetic filters.

If not for the "Cardboard Guard"... Fram would still be a standard of the business like it once was.

Cardboard Guard, Teflon Slime, and Tough Cardboard guard have just painted the company into a corner with some of the car guys. And it's not easily forgiven.

Many car guys are creatures of habit... myself included. Since learning the API codes, I've been buying whatever WPP/WNE, Amalie or WU oil I can find cheap... but the white oil filter can is a guaranteed constant on my cars. There's always a few extras on the shelf.

NOW, if you bring me your car, and it doesn't take one of my in-stock filters... then you'll get whatever I can find that doesn't suck (in my opinion).... Maybe a purolator, or a bosch, or even a PartsPlus...

If I own it... there's a Hastings made filter on it... Lawnmower too.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
If not for the "Cardboard Guard"... Fram would still be a standard of the business like it once was.

Cardboard Guard, Teflon Slime, and Tough Cardboard guard have just painted the company into a corner with some of the car guys. And it's not easily forgiven.

Many car guys are creatures of habit... myself included. Since learning the API codes, I've been buying whatever WPP/WNE, Amalie or WU oil I can find cheap... but the white oil filter can is a guaranteed constant on my cars. There's always a few extras on the shelf.

NOW, if you bring me your car, and it doesn't take one of my in-stock filters... then you'll get whatever I can find that doesn't suck (in my opinion).... Maybe a purolator, or a bosch, or even a PartsPlus...

If I own it... there's a Hastings made filter on it... Lawnmower too.

Typical ignorant statement from someone in a group of people who don't know much about oil filters and can't even articulate what they think is bad. They offer few specifics, little data, mostly just opinion: "It's bad. I said so. That's it!"

FYI, Fram has been using fiber endcaps since the '60s.

Fram DID have a very bad run of filters awhile back... Yeah, they fixed it....

The chattering valve trains got people cutting open filters, and thus got the whole argument started.

IF, they wouldn't have had the ADBV problems, and QC problems, we'd likely be discussing why end caps don't matter so much. If we'd even be cutting them open as often as we do.

If the initial FAILs wouldn't have happened, there wouldn't be such paranoia.

PTFE in an engine is controversial.... thus the HM is on my NO list. the QC issues with Extraguard have put it on my NO list... fixed or not. It's a Cardboard Guard, and PTFE Goop hoax... not going on my car.

Once upon a time, I did use Orange Cans.... I stopped due to finding better values elsewhere (no hate yet)... then I started pulling FAILs off of cars... gaskets falling off, leaks, chatters... Sorry FRAM, no love from my garage.

Fram DID have a very bad run of filters awhile back... Yeah, they fixed it....

The chattering valve trains got people cutting open filters, and thus got the whole argument started.

IF, they wouldn't have had the ADBV problems, and QC problems, we'd likely be discussing why end caps don't matter so much. If we'd even be cutting them open as often as we do.

What was the deal with the FRAM filters with bad ADBVs and QA issues back then?

Here's an example of the ADBV issues.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQpPWg24dE

I don't think Mazda Miatas have hydraulic lifters, think they have shim in bucket ... so not sure what the ticking is, but apparently caused by the ADBV not holding oil in the system.

Orange cans are famous on Jeep forums for delivering start up noise. They do on my Jeep too... in all fairness I've had the same problem with just about everything else. And I still use them on some of our other vehicles without any problem at all.

Motorcrafts and ironically Fram Tough Guards are the only ones I've found so far to give me consistently good starts. YMMV.

Quote:
... PTFE in an engine is controversial.... thus the HM is on my NO list. the QC issues with Extraguard have put it on my NO list... fixed or not. It's a Cardboard Guard, and PTFE Goop hoax not going on my car.....

Actually the Fram filter with PTFE was the Double Guard, which has been discontinued for some time now. Hindsight being 20/20 not a filter that should have been manufactured/sold.

The High Mileage filter is basically an orange can with a basket containing a proprietary conditioner designed to nuetralize acids, extend oil life. Some folks here grabbed a bunch at ~$1.50 each recently on a website promo. Everyday Wally price ~$6.50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back