1999 Yamaha Road Star 1600 oil recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, new to the site. I own a 1999 Yamaha Road Star 1600 and was wanting some oil recommendations. I've used Mobil 1 and Amsoil but Amsoil is hard to get in my area. Currently I'm using Castrol V Twin. I use Castrol in my cars and like it, but my bike seems a little noisy using it. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Although, I know lots of guy that use Castrol V-Twin for their bikes with good success. But, if you don't like the extra noise that the Castrol provides, simply switch to another brand that helps you sleep at night. Yea, the Mobil 1 is a good choice and, easier to get than Amsoil. Many good choices for your ride!
smile.gif

I ran Mobil 1 V-twin in my Roadstar 1700 and after 50k miles, she still ran like day one. It's a good choice. I ran the Mobile filter also. A word of advice. Keep your steering stem bearings greased. Yamaha used white lithium in there and it'll wash out and the bearings'll go to hel. I installed a grease zerk and pumped that baby full o good grease after I had to change my bearings.

I appreciate all the replies!! I know the Road Star bikes are noisy anyway due to there engine design, but I was curious as to which oil might be best to use. Thanks again, cool site.

Mobil 1 V Twin works well as does the Valvoline 4T synthetic in my noisy Triumph. Just because an engine oil is noisy though does not mean it is not protecting well. Several UOA's have shown that.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Mobil 1 V Twin works well as does the Valvoline 4T synthetic in my noisy Triumph. Just because an engine oil is noisy though does not mean it is not protecting well. Several UOA's have shown that.

Your right however why deal with a noisy clackety engine if a simple change in oil brand eliminates the noise.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Your right however why deal with a noisy clackety engine if a simple change in oil brand eliminates the noise.

As long as you don't lose any protection I agree. I really only notice my engine noise when its warmed up and at a stop. With the factory fill of Castrol RS 10w50 it was horrible sounding on my engine.

Rotella T 15w40 dino and Rotella T6 5w40 SYN seem to do a good job in many bikes as a low cost but quality option.

15w40 is ~$13 a gallon
5w40 is ~$22 a gallon

Both are JASO certified for wet clutch use.

Take some time to search for any UOAs that may be out there for your bike in various forums.

I have a 2008 Silverado. Tried many oils and it loves Valvoline 4T synthetic 20w-50. At less then 10 bucks a quart it is a great deal

Originally Posted By: jeffmc
I have a 2008 Silverado. Tried many oils and it loves Valvoline 4T synthetic 20w-50. At less then 10 bucks a quart it is a great deal

I had an 06 1100 v-star silverado. Rotella 15w-40. For the win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back