Mazda recommends Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought 2013 Mazdaspeed 3 and while perusing the owners manual I found that Mazda now endorses Castrol as their preferred lubricant.

Wow, a little concerned about that as the engine in these things is referred to as the little volcano. In my last Speed I used Pennzoil Platinum with great results, but back in '08 Mazda didn't really endorse any particular oil, just required the use of a high quality 5w-30.

Has something changed with Castrol oils that I am not aware of? I would imagine they used Castrol products in the validation of the engine but that oil doesn't get much respect here so I am leery of using it. IMHO there are so many better synthetic oils that I could use (including my old stand by Pennzoil Platinum).

Any thoughts on this? Any oil recommendations?

As a recommendation, it doesn't hold any legal bearing on you (if it was a requirement, they'd have to give it to you)...use what makes you happy.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Use what the owners manual calls for. API SM or newer I am guessing?

It'd be SN not SM.

Castrol is good stuff go with castrol edge/fst titanium you won't regret it! I'm surprised it does not call for a 0w40 weight. But like everyone says castrol is factory fill just like BMW. I think Toyota uses Mobil 1 as there standard fill now.

It`s like the "Mobil 1 is factory fill on blah blah blah so therefore it`s the best" baloney. The brand recommendations are because Mobil,Castrol,etc is paying Mazda to endorse their products.

Originally Posted By: pennzoil_guru
It's no different than LG endorsing Finish detergent in my dishwasher. Castrol is paying Mazda to be their "preferred" oil. Use an oil that meets the specs set out in your owners manual. I think the 3 specs 0W20 SN GF-5 oils

+1

i would recommend castrol if they gave me oil for free...lol
i dont know if they give free oil but they have some kind of deal going on.. Castrol oil is as good as the rest of them

I know castrol gtx is the preferred oil of Wankel engines because of them burning very clean leaving very few deposits behind. I took that to mean there were very few additives in the oil hence no deposits.
There was a member last year wanting to trade a substantial quantity of total quartz oil for castrol gtx for his RX. I even considered buying a few jugs of gtx just to trade him.
Anyways this is no different than Mobil's name on Chevy's fill caps. Its all about money.
Here in North America castrol doesn't have the market share as it does elsewhere,and this marketing move may help them gain some revenue.
Heck some people actually believe that they HAVE to use whatever brand is stamped on the oil fill cap.
My cousin has an 06 caddy with a sixxer. He thought he had to buy Mobil 1 because it was stamped on the oil fill cap. So he used it.
I did an oil change for him using PYB and a can of mos2 and about a week later e was raving about how M1 was the best and how much smoother his car was running after I changed his oil. He said he gained 3mpg on his computer. I didn't know he had bought some M1 and left it beside his car,but by the time I got over to do it someone had stolen it(funny).
So I had to fill him in that I used the PYB I got for 12 bucks a jug,and a 7 dollar can of mos2. With a motomaster oil filter. All in it cost ess than half of what just a jug of M1 cost him.
Anyways back on topic. Mazda/bmw has castrol. Ferrari and dodge have pennzoil,government motors has Mobil.
When is someone going to adopt valvoline. Is yugo still in business. Maybe Mercedes will snatch them up,if not Volvo might be a perfect fit,the names start with the same letter.

Seems like a lot of anecdotal evidence is being passed around that the oil companies are paying the car manufacturers to promote their oil.

Show me the proof...

I know for fact GM has a very special engineering relationship with XOM and GM has worked with XOM for well over 20 years.

I have no doubt marketing is part of the arrangement but it's not the only purpose IMHO and to place a general categorization for all companies is just wrong...

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Seems like a lot of anecdotal evidence is being passed around that the oil companies are paying the car manufacturers to promote their oil.

Show me the proof...

I know for fact GM has a very special engineering relationship with XOM and GM has worked with XOM for well over 20 years.

I have no doubt marketing is part of the arrangement but it's not the only purpose IMHO and to place a general categorization for all companies is just wrong...

To believe that it isn't about money is truly absurd.
If pennzoil would make a better deal with Chevy you can count on those oil fill caps saying pennzoil.
The relationships the oil companies have with an automaker is mutually beneficial. The research and development costs aren't absorbed by a single entity,the marketing value is almost priceless,and attachment is also infinitely valuable.
Someone with a Ferrari will naturally believe that since shell is pushed by the manufacturer naturally they will use it.
My cousin is a prime example of believing the fill cap.
Heck shell was using Ferrari in their commercials for V-Power gasoline. Do you really believe Ferrari didn't get paid in some way shape or form for that.
What about dodge and the SRT vehicles and their 0w-40,do you really believe that the attachment doesn't cost someone some money.
Please. In today's world where coca-cola pays movie producers to have their can on a table that spider-man crashes through,or Chevy puts a car in transformers just to see how the public re-acts,and actually produces the car because of it only a complete (add whatever noun chosen for fool here) would truly believe that there aren't hefty sums of cash moving to attain,and maintain the attachments.
No company on earth is going to allow their trademark/brand/product to attach to another trademark/brand/product without a briefcase full of Benjamin's in there somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Show me the proof...

To believe that it isn't about money is truly absurd.
If pennzoil would make a better deal with Chevy you can count on those oil fill caps saying pennzoil.
The relationships the oil companies have with an automaker is mutually beneficial. The research and development costs aren't absorbed by a single entity,the marketing value is almost priceless,and attachment is also infinitely valuable.
Someone with a Ferrari will naturally believe that since shell is pushed by the manufacturer naturally they will use it.
My cousin is a prime example of believing the fill cap.
Heck shell was using Ferrari in their commercials for V-Power gasoline. Do you really believe Ferrari didn't get paid in some way shape or form for that.
What about dodge and the SRT vehicles and their 0w-40,do you really believe that the attachment doesn't cost someone some money.
Please. In today's world where coca-cola pays movie producers to have their can on a table that spider-man crashes through,or Chevy puts a car in transformers just to see how the public re-acts,and actually produces the car because of it only a complete (add whatever noun chosen for fool here) would truly believe that there aren't hefty sums of cash moving to attain,and maintain the attachments.
No company on earth is going to allow their trademark/brand/product to attach to another trademark/brand/product without a briefcase full of Benjamin's in there somewhere.

LOL this is isn't product placement in a movie.... I know part is marketing but its absurd to think Castrol contacted Mazda just to have their name in the owners manual I would bet that Castrol and Mazda worked on a project together.

If there actually where a technical reason they would tell the owner to use a specific castrol oil. Like use castrol edge 5w-30.

When they just write castrol in genneral it is in my oppinion. Nothing but marketing.

LOL this is isn't product placement in a movie.... I know part is marketing but its absurd to think Castrol contacted Mazda just to have their name in the owners manual I would bet that Castrol and Mazda worked on a project together.

If you say "gullible" very very slowly, it sounds like "orange"...

Burden of proof is on you to identify the project, and why it's on this specific owner's manual...

My wife owns a 2012 Mazda3 with the Skyactiv engine. The owners manual also mentions Castrol. I use Kendall 0W20 in it. The dealer she bought it at has a Castrol banners and [censored] in the service area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back