Hyundai HECU (hydraulic electronic control unit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the knock never came back from my engine, but the whine I've been trying to diagnose I've pretty much pinned on the HECU (by typing in the part number to google - I had no idea what that contraption was and guessed it was an alternator but was wrong).

Again, you hear it during acceleration and at idle (only after driving). It's a whine that gets higher pitched and louder the more you press the gas.

I've seen it called the HECU, the Hydraulic Unit Assembly, etc but there is not very much info on it online. I can tell it's a factory part as it is from HMC (Hyundai Motor Corporation) and is a Manco part. Part no. is 58900-26350.

What could be causing a whine from a part like this?

I don't know why an ABS pump would be making noise at idle or under acceleration. Pull the ABS fuse and see what happens to your whine.

There was a TSB for that part on the 2003-2004 Santa Fe.

"If the brake pedal is depressed at speeds between 3 and 12 mph when the brake pad friction surfaces are wet, a vibration may occur between the brake discs and pads, causing ABS sensor electronic signal noise to develop."

http://www.myhyundaiforums.com/04-01-002.pdf

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
When they say "electronic signal noise", I don't think they are referring to an audible sound.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
When they say "electronic signal noise", I don't think they are referring to an audible sound.

I don't think they are either. My point was just that it's a part that's been known to malfunction and since there's a TSB he can probably get it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back