Jeep Cherokee transmission fluid change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L with 136,000 miles

This Jeep has the AW4 automatic transmission with an aftermarket B&M trans fluid cooler. I recently did a few drain and fills using Coastal Dex/Merc compatible fluid, which is what this transmission requires. The fluid is now nice and pink. A typical drain and fill on this transmission exchanges about 1/3 of the fluid. Since I have done a few drain and fills until the color was pink, I expect to do 1 drain and fill of the fluid from now on in certain intervals.

How often should I drain and fill the fluid?

This Jeep tows a small trailer a few times a year with a light load. It is daily driven easily and never abused. I drive back and forth to college 15 miles a day, a few more miles on weekends with the occasional highway drive.

congratulations! you have one of the best transmissions made - and certainly the best one available in a Jeep! The AW4 is well-known to be very durable - even when used for plow duty. IIRC, the fluid change interval is 30k. I used Amsoil in mine and ran it much longer. I used to tow ALOT and I put 200k on the truck without transmission issues.

No need to change every year. I wouldn't change by time either, only mileage. Pick a number you feel safe with 30K, 50K. Most of these tranny's on the road never had their fluid changed at all.

FWIW, I changed the fluid in my kid's '89 XJ once years ago(replaced the factory fill) and now the tranny is in my rock buggy and still shifts perfectly.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
you have one of the best transmissions made - and certainly the best one available in a Jeep!

Yuk! The best tranny ever offered in a Jeep is definitely not a slush box!

There's millions of AW-4s that made it past 200K with no fluid change.

I have a large cooler on mine and change it every spring. 3 quarts of DexIII is cheap - figure it's good insurance.

I tread mine a bit harder than most - it gets off roaded, hauls a lot and gets stuck in traffic jams from time to time.

Thanks guys, I think I will do a drain and fill every 30k miles. The transmission shifts very smooth now, considering the AW4 is not known to be the smoothest transmission.

When I bought it, the Jeep had 90k miles and all the fluids except the oil were original. I'm trying to make it last for a long time.
thumbsup2.gif

I do have oversized tires, but rarely tow anything heavier than a lawn tractor. With the B&M cooler, I should be good for 30k mile drain and fills.

My AW4s ATF gets left in them until its Barely Pink, seems fluid goes from Reddish to pink over time. My 2001s AW4 had the worst looking fluid of any Cherokee with a AW4 I have ever bought, and it only had 48,??? miles on it at the time(Sept2006). Even my Black 1987 XJs 268,??? (at the time late Oct 2006) AW4 had better looking ATF and had been Flogged. But so had my 2001,. had pulled a UHaul trailer across the US in the middle of summer with out a Cooler(Stupid UHaul should have recommended that). I can Feel Her Pain from a dead start, and from 1st to 2nd Shift. Oddly enough, this AW4 holds OD better than the others.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
My AW4s ATF gets left in them until its Barely Pink, seems fluid goes from Reddish to pink over time. My 2001s AW4 had the worst looking fluid of any Cherokee with a AW4 I have ever bought, and it only had 48,??? miles on it at the time(Sept2006). Even my Black 1987 XJs 268,??? (at the time late Oct 2006) AW4 had better looking ATF and had been Flogged. But so had my 2001,. had pulled a UHaul trailer across the US in the middle of summer with out a Cooler(Stupid UHaul should have recommended that). I can Feel Her Pain from a dead start, and from 1st to 2nd Shift. Oddly enough, this AW4 holds OD better than the others.

TV cable is probably out of adjustment or broken. The adjuster on my throttlebody is worn out so mine requires adjustment every month or so.

Thats a Great idea, She was in a bit of a wreck before I got her. My 87, 99(2Wheel drive) and 2000 All also have AW4s, Havent been in Wrecks, and Shift pretty much the same, except for mileage differences. Its a very small difference that my 2001s AW4 has, though, If youre just cruzin or driving normal, or even Haulin, its Hard to tell or Feel, unless you Sharpen the Senses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back