Hyundia OEM filters only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read on another forum that Hyundai's don't do well on after market filters? Is this true?
I just bought a 2010 Elantra and it still has the dealers oil change in it.
And I'm wondering if I should use an OEM.Sounds a little strange to me.

I know it aint the same car but my 01 accent has used motorcraft and pure ones without issue..again i havent heard or read up on it at all though..so my point may not be worth anything..

I use primarily OEM filters on mine because I think they are well built and reasonably priced. If they costed more I probably wouldn't. I have used the Napa Silvers and I used to use Super Tech ones and never had any issues. I have had 3 Hyundai/Kia vehicles and used several brands. I think it is just something that gets blown out of proportion on some of the forums.

I don't see a reason why a proper aftermarket filter can't be used. Its a simple spin on oil filter with M20x1.5 thread and an approx bypass valve setting of 12-15 psi. As long as you make sure you get a quality aftermarket filter that meets these specifications and has a silicone anti-drain back i don't see what the problem is. A purolator pureone 14459 should meet this as well as many other name brands.

Is there some sort of isolated issue with certain economy filters on these vehicles?

File Under:
GROUP MODEL
Engine
All
NUMBER
DATE
February 2012
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
AFTERMARKET OIL FILTERS
During engine research & development, the mechanical engine lubrication system is designed to operate at specific volumes and pressures to keep the reciprocating & rotary components properly lubricated. Kia has assigned specific guidelines for the use of oil filters (Cartridge / Spin-on) and oil viscosity to conform to; filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations, and to keep the lubrication system at optimal performance. The use of aftermarket oil filters / o-rings / improper oil viscosities could result in less than optimal filtration, leak down, oil flow rate and pressure variations due to different oil filter designs and construction. Some of the symptoms and concerns that may arise with aftermarket filters / wrong oil viscosities include but are not limited to:

•Valve Train Noise •Low Oil Pressure With Warning Light On •Engine Knocking Noise
Kia does not test or approve any aftermarket filters and only recommends the use of Kia genuine parts that are designed to operate at the specifications set forth during engine lubrication design and testing. If the engine oil has been changed recently and a noise condition has developed, perform an inspection of the oil filter and or Customer oil change maintenance records to help you in determining if an aftermarket filter or the wrong oil viscosity was used. If the vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket oil filter, perform an oil change and filter using the correct oil grade / viscosity and a replacement genuine Kia oil filter at the customer’s expense. It is always best to use the electronic parts catalog, search by VIN to obtain the correct oil filter P/N; this will avoid confusion and possible engine damage. Note: Customer concerns as a result of incorrect oil viscosity or use of aftermarket oil filter should not be treated as a warranty repair and any related damage is not warrantable, nor is changing the engine oil and filter to isolate this condition.

Good luck with that with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Good luck with that with the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

I'd say that's still within the law. Kia's document to me expresses a concern with junk filters, not things like Wix, Purolator, or even a Fram aftermarket filter.

Of course it's not Kia's (or any automaker's) concern to pay for diagnosis where an aftermarket filter might be at fault, or for damages where an aftermarket filter is at fault.

I've never had a problem either, but I choose to use the OEM filters anyway. The OEM filters are very nice, and inexpensive if you pick up a case of them off ebay.

Good Luck!

Is your new Hyundai a spin on canister or cartridge set up? While they list all vehicles on the TSB it seems the cartridge filter engines are not as particular. Our 2012 KIA has been using a Napa Gold/Wix cartridge for 6k now without a hiccup and it will be getting another one in another thousand miles.

When I did the first OCI I found the KIA dealer had used a Mahle before that. (It was bought from a dealer with 15k on it they had serviced it prior to selling.)

Aftermarket filters are fine to use as long as it's a reputable brand, even FRAM OCOD. There are too many oil filters for Hyundai/Kia to test through so they just don't...and then slap on the disclaimer that "KIA does not test or approve..."

The only issue I encountered with an aftermarket OF would be a K&N where knocking was experienced. The others -- Mobil 1, Puro (both classic and P1), RP, and FRAM Ultra -- had zero issues. If I had to, I would say FRAM Ultra ran best in regards with valve train noise issues.

After adding a 2010 Hyundai to the fleet recently, upon doing the 1st (myself) OC is when I found out about TSB for aftermarket filters. I figured while under warranty, might as well use the OEM, although the ProSelect filter I removed didn't cause anymore noise than the now OEM filter.
And of course when I went to go get 4 filters, the price had recently increased. Still, they are easy affordable, and are a quality filter.

I used an OEM about a month ago on the 2013 Elantra, 1st oil change, OMG, the initial start up freaked me out as the clicking noise for a few seconds was so bad until the filter was pressurized. Never heard that on other engines. It has been fine at start up since, just the first one after the change. Next time I may try to pre fill the filter to see if it makes any difference.

I have a Hyundai Azera and believe it or not, the Fram cartridge filters at Wal-Mart are nearly clones of the OEM filters for a few dollars less. I compared the two some time ago and could not see any difference in the filters. The only difference is the Fram filter did not include both of the o-rings required (only 1 of them and I cannot remember which one).

I wish Wally's would carry the cartridge Fram for our KIA but they don't, I need a CH10855. Instead I end up bargain hunting every OCI and still end up spending 7-8 bucks for a filter that I think is worth about 5.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I wish Wally's would carry the cartridge Fram for our KIA but they don't, I need a CH10855. Instead I end up bargain hunting every OCI and still end up spending 7-8 bucks for a filter that I think is worth about 5.
frown.gif

To your door for $8.67 each (if you buy 3 and if this is the correct one) - Amazon - Beck Arnley 041-0853 Oil Filter

I use the OEM filter from Hyundai when ever I am near the dealer - I recently bought Pure 1 filters on a : "2 for 1" special ...The Pure 1's have worked well - no start up noise what so ever !! Yes , I would prefer to use Hyundai OEM filters as they are built very solidly - but so are Pure 1 filters - I would not hesitate to use a Pure 1 filter again either !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back