spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Critic...I had read but had forgotten the details why one should not reinsert plugs...

One question for those who do...can you replace the old crush washer...?

Critic is right as far as theory is concerned. And he can afford to follow the theory because he is not paying his rent from wrenching. Guys who do wrenching for living do what works rather than what is right. The other side of the coin is that if you want something done right, you need to do it yourself. The guys who do it for money will do it (hopefully) good enough.

Bah, you guys are a hoot...

The only reason not to reuse the crush washer is so you'll buy another spark plug... No if it's distorted(out of shape) I would not chance it but there's no other reason I've seen in almost 46 years of changing plugs not to reuse one...

I do ALL my own wrenching, so I have experience most of you guys will only dream of...

Originally Posted By: The Critic
the sacrificial anti-corrosive coating is only good for one "cycle." So, if you r/r the plugs, you'll probably have to put a coat of anti-seize on the threads.

This is VERY IMPORTANT!

I love the folks commenting that you should pay a "professional" a good chunk of change just to have so so work done. LOL

Whatever happened to the timeless quote of

FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

This is why that "industry" has such a poor image among consumers, and why rightfully so they believe more often than not they are being cheated when they take their car in for repairs to a "professional" shop.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
On my old "points" cars, I clean and regap the plugs every 10k or so. They get replaced when worn or damaged. I get 2-4 such runs from them. Platinum or iridium plugs would not fare well in these apps.
In my electronic ignition vehicles, I change them around 30-50k and only use regular type plugs. I did try platinums a few times on my late 70's-80's cars and actually got a shorter life from them.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
On my old "points" cars, I clean and regap the plugs every 10k or so. They get replaced when worn or damaged. I get 2-4 such runs from them. Platinum or iridium plugs would not fare well in these apps.
In my electronic ignition vehicles, I change them around 30-50k and only use regular type plugs. I did try platinums a few times on my late 70's-80's cars and actually got a shorter life from them.

Absolutely. Modern ignitions have improved more than a little. They can basically spark off a pine log and any misfire is immediately logged and a code thrown.

I used to take the plugs out of my old Pontiac street car every other weekend just to clean and regap. Then one day I got a CDI spark box from Crane and never needed to touch them except to replace. Also was able to open the gap tremendously which really helped cold start, high rpm, etc.

I changed the original plugs in my 2000 Century at 87K miles. Judging from their condition they could have easily gone 100K miles. I used Autolite double platinum plugs as a replacement and would let them go 100K miles based on the condition of the plugs I removed. The truth is I probably won't have the car long enough to change the plugs again.

My 94 Suburban has 126000 miles on it.Perfect condition.On the way back from San Antonio it started missing like crazy.It had 20000 miles ont the regular AC plugs scinse a tune up.When I got home I changed the spark plugs to AC Platinum and it runs like new.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

Absolutely. Modern ignitions have improved more than a little. They can basically spark off a pine log and any misfire is immediately logged and a code thrown.

I used to take the plugs out of my old Pontiac street car every other weekend just to clean and regap. Then one day I got a CDI spark box from Crane and never needed to touch them except to replace. Also was able to open the gap tremendously which really helped cold start, high rpm, etc.

I just changed the plugs in my '88 Caddy since came with the car when I bought it 12k miles ago and it started getting a stumble at idle. Between the new ones put in today and the old ones I've since cleaned, that'll cover the life of the car.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: TFB1
I've reused crush washer plugs dozens of times without issue, don't believe everything you read...

I thought the same thing.

For many years I never saw anyone replace the crush washers.
Never witnessed a problem.

The purpose of a crush washer in any application, is to provide a one-time sacrificial seal. Whether you have success in re-using the washer is irrelevant, as the washer was never intended to be re-used multiple times. Personal experience and correct procedure can sometimes be two different things, and one should not advocate for others to blatantly ignore the established rules.

Verbatim from 2008 Honda MC owner's manual:

6. Make sure the plug washer is in good condition.
7. With the plug washer attached, thread the spark plug in by hand to prevent cross-threading.
8. Tighten the spark plug:
-If the old plug is good:
1/8 turn after it seats.
-If installing a new plug, tighten it twice to prevent loosening:
a) First, tighten the plug:
NGK: 3/4 turn after it seats.
DENSO: 1/2 turn after it seats.
b) Then loosen the plug.
c) Next, tighten the plug again: 1/8 turn after it seats.

I guess Honda didn't get the memo on not re-using the crush washers.

On a side note the old Champion catalogs used to sell bulk spark washers in case you wished to replace them.

By the way, the plug Honda is referring to is the DPR8Z, which does use a crush washer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Verbatim from 2008 Honda MC owner's manual:

6. Make sure the plug washer is in good condition.
7. With the plug washer attached, thread the spark plug in by hand to prevent cross-threading.
8. Tighten the spark plug:
-If the old plug is good:
1/8 turn after it seats.
-If installing a new plug, tighten it twice to prevent loosening:
a) First, tighten the plug:
NGK: 3/4 turn after it seats.
DENSO: 1/2 turn after it seats.
b) Then loosen the plug.
c) Next, tighten the plug again: 1/8 turn after it seats.

I guess Honda didn't get the memo on not re-using the crush washers.

On a side note the old Champion catalogs used to sell bulk spark washers in case you wished to replace them.

By the way, the plug Honda is referring to is the DPR8Z, which does use a crush washer.

LOL well now, that's put to bed...

Using Honda's method, the new washer is used when installed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back