Using 5w30 Pennzoil Ultra or 30 wt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a new mower a few months back and the manual states to make first oil change at 8 hours. The engine is a 22 hp Briggs and Stratton. The manual states to use 30 wt. or it has an updated preferred weight listing calling for 5w30 synthetic Briggs and Stratton oil. Would the Pennzoil Ultra be alright or should I go with the Briggs and Stratton oil.

thanks should I be worried about the weight of the synthetic or will this only help the engine, I have noticed the engine starts a lot easier now.Oh yeh not that it makes any difference now but at Walmart near me Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 was marked at 3.50 a quart on clearance so I decided to buy all they had left.

Last edited:
I would run it for 1 hr then dump the factory fill. I'd use rotella 10w 30 for the 8hr run as it is less expensive and as good. Then you can run ultra, rotella t-5 etc. I am running amsoil 10w 40 motorcycle oil in my 21hp toro zero turn mower.

Pennzoil Ultra is a super high quality motor oil. If the owner’s manual suggests SAE 5W-30 motor oil, then you can definitely use Pennzoil Ultra SAE 5W-30 motor oil in your mower! -The Pennzoil Team

Where you live you can use PYB SAE30 without a problem, and SAE30 is what the owner's manual recommends.

Last edited:
You have a couple of options here and still be within the warranty specs. First, is the old standard of 30wt, but not the best choice. Not there's anything wrong with using 30wt, as there's been years and years of mowers run on it. But if you want the best, then go for 5w30 syn. I would not just use any syn 5w30, even though it woulf probably be fine, but I would use a High Mileage oil, as it has more Zddp, which is good for air cooled small engines. I use Mobil 1 HM 5w30 in mine, it has a bit higher Zddp level, than normal pcmo oil. I don't know what the zddp level in PZ Ultra is, but it's one fine oil. Don't let anyone talk you into the "heavier is better" myth for these engines until you've tried what's recommended. Thinner will cool better, multi-vis will protect at startup and syn will shear far less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bchannell
You have a couple of options here and still be within the warranty specs. First, is the old standard of 30wt, but not the best choice. Not there's anything wrong with using 30wt, as there's been years and years of mowers run on it. But if you want the best, then go for 5w30 syn. I would not just use any syn 5w30, even though it would probably be fine, but I would use a High Mileage oil, as it has more Zddp, which is good for air cooled small engines. I use Mobil 1 HM 5w30 in mine, it has a bit higher Zddp level, than normal pcmo oil. I don't know what the zddp level in PZ Ultra is, but it's one fine oil. Don't let anyone talk you into the "heavier is better" myth for these engines until you've tried what's recommended. Thinner will cool better, multi-vis will protect at startup and syn will shear far less.

The best advice in the thread right here.

Stick with a synthetic Xw30 such as Ultra or Mobil 1 high mileage. Second best option is an SAE HD30.

Someone else mentioned a dino 5w30. That will work but will consume like the dickens. Bad advice IMHO. I've used synthetic and you can go a whole season without having to top off. A dino multi wieght will need topped off quite frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back