Chevron Gasoline better than Arco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now in my area Arco Regular is $3.09 against $3.27 for Chevron Regular. Is Chevron worth the extra 18 cents?
confused.gif

This is like comparing apples to oranges, but this is what it's like in California. In my Toyota Echo, which is driven the same route to work(77mi one way), I get 3-4 better MPG with Chevron than Arco, which is about 7-10%. When you factor in the $.50 surcharge that Arco charges for using an ATM card, and the better quaility of Chevron gas in general(Top Tier), I use Chevron. The price difference between the 2 here is about $.10 a gallon, not $.18.

If the difference was $.18 a gallon here in Ca., and I had large fuel tanks to fill, Arco might get a second look.

It wouldn't take long before that $.18 would add up to a substantial savings.
Chevron additives are very good, but there isn't a very high concentration of them.
Run Chevron cleaner a couple of times a year in the tank, and use the cheaper gas.
If you could get 3-4 mpg more with the Chevron, that is another story.
Since the gas can come from the same truck to both stations, and cleaner additives are then added, I find that doubtful, though.

With over 130k miles of data on fuel mileage in my Echo, Chevron gas works the best in my area. As far as both stations getting the same gas from the same truck, Chevron DOES NOT post an alcohol content of it's fuel, unlike the other stations(Arco, 76, Shell). I would venture to guess that the small package that goes in the fuel truck when filling up at the fuel depot isn't going to make 10% by volume of alcohol either.

BP/ARCO is the worst quality gas sold here. Chevron is "Top Tier," as good as pump gasoline gets. I have equal results with ARCO + FP60 as I do with Chevron + FP60, so the cheap gas and FP60 is a money saver.

Ken

Just tried some Mystic gas which is Citgo brand and today got 25 mpg on the way home from work. Which is 2-3 mpg more than usual using shell gas. Gonna have to monitor the rest of the week before I make any claims.

I keep pretty close tabs on my mileage, and I, too, thought that my vehicles didn't like certain brands. That is, until I got gas from a Chevron station that consistently gave me 2-3 MPG less than gas from other Chevron stations.

I now believe that it really is best to get gas from the cheapest STATION that doesn't give you poor mileage, especially if you put your own additives (FuelPower) in the gas. I think you're more likely to see MPG variances due to problems with the storage and delivery mechanics at the station than due to the gas brand itself.

Pure gas is the best for power and mileage. I wish I could get it around here.
But 10% gasahol should only net a 2-4 % loss [less BTUs, but extra oxygen].

Some people say that gasoline is all the same but my experience has been that my cars really run great when I am able to put Chevron gasoline into them. In fact I heard a story that Chevron gasoline was used in new car testing by US automakers.

I also came across information that Chevron Techron fuel additive was the first detergent approved by BMW.

Common decency keeps me from describing Arco quality. Perhaps you can replace the four letters in their name with your own favorite four letter word.

I used to work at a Shell gas station, and ever since I only put Chevron in my vehicles. Our regular customers had all kinds of blockage problems and pinging etc. My 69 Chevelle took about a minute to stop iddling sometimes when I used Shell. I switched to Chevron and after a few tanks my problems went away. I worked there for over a year and the mechanic said he never got Shell gas himself and he recommended Chevron, and that is why I switched. He also said Union 76 was a good second choice. Since then I had followed up with many mechanics who all basically said that they noticed in general many more problems with people who used Shell gas. I've been using Chevron for 18 years since and never had any fuel issues period. As for Arco I have no idea, but some gas is better than others that is a fact!

Sorry to jack your thread but we don't have Chevron by me...it's pretty much:

Hess

Coastal

Walmart

Mobil/Exxon

Sunoco

Any suggestions on the best from that choice? I don't drive enough (or enough w/ the radio off) to be able to really pick up on a change in engine noise by trying all sorts of brands.

I've done the math several times, and I think the last calculation was that FP60 by the gallon adds somewhere around 6-6.5 cents per gallon to your fuel price. So, if Chevron costs more than that differential, it's not worth it.

Also, I only speak for this area, but here it is absolute fact that nearly all the fuel (meaning over 95% of it) comes from the same refinery via the same transport mechanism. So, those who are adamant that their cars run vastly better on one brand in this area have my utmost skepticism as to their tolerance for psychological warfare.

I used Arco gas almost exclusively for about 20 years. Never had a problem. Recently because of this board I switched to Chevron. Although I don't keep precise track of my mileage, I watch it, and it is slightly better with Chevron, enough to notice. Also, my Silverado and Jeep both seem to idle a little smoother. Driving down the road I don't notice any difference. I will stick with it, unless price difference widens a lot. Right now its about 10 cents a gallon more.

Here in Florida Chevron/Texaco gives me better mileage than BP/Amoco, 76, or Sunoco. After Chevron, I'd go with Mobil then Citgo. I haven't tried too many other brands...

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
BP/ARCO is the worst quality gas sold here. Chevron is "Top Tier," as good as pump gasoline gets.

Ken

I agree ARCO BP is the worst gasoline I have used over the years. I started going to Chevron exclusively about 10 years ago. I consider it money well spent.

Are Arco and BP synonymous? I've never seen an Arco station in Ohio, but there are BP's everywhere. BP gas seems fine to me - I don't really notice any difference between the 3 brands I run in my car: Shell, Mobil & BP. My gass-filling routine may be strange - I will run Shell for 3 or 4 consecutive fillups, then switch to Mobil for 3 or 4, then on to BP. Repeat.
Mystic mentioned something about US automakers using Chevron in testing - I have no idea about that, but I do know that Consumer Reports uses Exxon/Mobil when it conducts it's tests, for whatever that's worth.

In California, I notice that Chevron gas stations are always nicer than the other brands. Chevron stations always have the stuff to wash your windshield, plastic gloves things for ladies, and clean working restrooms. None of the other brands are as consistent. Also, my local Chevron station is the one willing to recycle my oil, coolant, and brake fluid. I always buy from Chevron stations.

Back about 18 years ago when I rode a motorcycle, it had a crankcase vent to a clear plastic tube (plugged). Every so often I had to take out the plug and dump the nasty smelling stuff inside it. When using Chevron Gas (vs a random selection of others) there was always about a third of the amount in the tube and it didn't smell nearly as nasty.
FWIW.

Around here BP = Arco that takes credit cards, same fuel. Both brands, or any other of the 10% alcohol fuel, make my subuaru ping unless I retard the timing. My other cars don't mind.

I think it's pretty much accepted in the industry that you will take a 3% hit on MPG with the 10% eth fuels. So I guess if it's more than 3% cheaper your money ahead? So if the cheap stuff is 2.91, and the better stuff is 3.00, you break even and have crappy 10% eth in your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back