5w30 ok for my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an accord that specifies 5w/20. I like the idea of a dexos approved (50%syn) blend in my car but it only comes in 5w/30. Do you think there is any harm going 5w/30 as opposed to the specified 5w/20?

Not going to hurt (or help) anything the HTHS viscosity difference between most 5w20's and 5w30's is only about 10%, nothing earth shattering but enough to argue about on BITOG ha ha.

I think that Dexos Pennzoil is looking like a bargain I am curious to the add pack though. If it had the same additives as PYB with a 50% syn base to boot well worth the extra 2 bucks IMO.

Why do you like the idea of a DEXOS approved(50%) syn blend in that engine?

I'm trying some SYNPOWER and it has differening characteristics noted "seat of the pants" but on par or birdie compared to the likes of M1, QSUD that are DEXOS liscensed (and that I run).

Since you have a Honda, why not shop for their HTO-06 spec oils? Why Dexos?

It makes no difference. Buy what's on sale - dino, blend, syn - whatever meets your owners' manual requirements. Take the $ saved and buy a cheap meal or lotto tickets or six pack, etc.

There are 5w-20 full synthetics from many manufacturers that meet dexos 1. Mobil 1, PP, QSUD and Castrol are all on the list. I'd guess Synpower 5w-20 meets the spec too but hasn't paid to get on (could be wrong).

the 5/20 - 5/30 question has been beaten to death on this forum but apparantly has a half life akin to plutonium since posts like this continue to surface.

Originally Posted By: kenpoed
I have an accord that specifies 5w/20. I like the idea of a dexos approved (50%syn) blend in my car but it only comes in 5w/30. Do you think there is any harm going 5w/30 as opposed to the specified 5w/20?

There is no harm but there is also no point.

dexos1 practically means SN/GF-5 + synthetic. Best oil for your car is a Japanese OEM fully synthetic 0W-20, such as Toyota or Honda 0W-20, with Toyota 0W-20 being better. You can also use fully synthetic 0W-20s or 5W-20s available at the auto stores. You can also live with the 5W-20 conventional recommended for your car.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Why do you like the idea of a DEXOS approved(50%) syn blend in that engine?

I'm trying some SYNPOWER and it has differening characteristics noted "seat of the pants" but on par or birdie compared to the likes of M1, QSUD that are DEXOS liscensed (and that I run).

Your one of the first on this site (as far as I know) that has tried the VSP 0w/20, let us know your thoughts towards the end of your OCI or once you have formed a solid opinion. Thanks.

Personally, I'd pay $5.00 more for a full synthetic 20-weight oil that meets your engine's specs.

I just don't understand why people want to use an oil that the manufacturer doesn't specify. Do they know something the manufacturer doesn't?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: kenpoed (from previous thread)
I have a clicking noise upon cold starts for 10 minutes. My mechanic states I should leave it alone and get a thicker oil.

Would 5w/30 help? I have been running PU on an 05 accord V6

Originally Posted By: kenpoed

Come on people, he's not in warranty, a dexo1 5W30 is not going to cause the slightest problem with that engine. The very worst thing that can happen is a 0.2 MPG reduction in fuel economy! And in reality it probably wont even be that much.

kenpoed, satisfy your curiosity and go for it. If you think the engine sounds better then stick with it, if you think it sounds worse then go back next OCI.

BTW. The lube guides (from shell castrol valvo etc) here in Australia call for 5W30 or 10W30 or 10W40 in that car.

Originally Posted By: Zhukov
I just don't understand why people want to use an oil that the manufacturer doesn't specify. Do they know something the manufacturer doesn't?
confused2.gif

One word: CAFE.

What about it? How does that make a 0W-20 inferior? The question is why people want to use an oil the manufacturer doesn't specify. Why would you want to use a different oil just because of CAFE? CAFE may be part of the reason why 0W-20 is specified, but your comment does not follow.

I guess the short question is "so what"?

Originally Posted By: AP9
Originally Posted By: Zhukov
confused2.gif

One word: CAFE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back