Hitachi / John Deere Excavator Hydraulic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find much on the board about compatibility of new hydraulic oils on new construction equipment.

The company I work for just bought a late model JD 160 and Hitachi 350 excavators (JD & Hitachi excavators are essentially the same). The new factory hydraulic oil is apparently not compatible with any other manufacturers oil. The problem we have is the hammer, or compactor attachments - we still have an older 330 and the oils will get mixed. We are working with our dealer to see if we can change the new machines to our oil - we use Petro Canada Hydrex - type 3 high grade oil.

THe dealer says that if we mix oils, the additives may clash and change viscosity and cause total system failure - apparently this happened to a contractor we know. The reason for such a change is due, according to the dealer, to no zinc being in the new oil for environmental reason. This does not make sense to me about the zinc - seems like there would be other reasons other than that if they weren't compatible. Also, flushing a machine or attachement and not get any cross contamination is not possible.

We are going to change the new machines to Petro Canada if Hitachi allows us to with warranty and monitor with analysis and see if we need to change a few short intervals at first. Seems like the manufacturers are making it real hard for contractors to safeguard our high dollar equipment.

Anyone else heard of issues or solutions such as this?

Try hydraulic oil ECOTERRA HVI by Conoco-Phillips. This oil has the same specs for Hitachi an JD excavators and is Zinc-free.

I realize that this is an old thread, but in the interest of info...

The zinc with the high pressures and temps of the current equipment cause the zinc to create sludge. A new anti wear formula has apparently been made better than than with the zinc anyway. I believe the zerozinc also corresponds to ashless as well, but maybe only on some zincless oils?

zinc free hydraulic oils use acidic additives, regular hydraulic oils (as well as engine oils) use alkaline additives. Mixing them is NOT recommended.

here is an excerpt from a Chevron publication I have on my hard drive

Most often, however, the cause of incompatibility is the neutralization of an acidic additive in one oil by an alkaline additive in the other oil. The reaction occurs in the presence of water. A soap (usually a calcium soap) precipitates as a grease-like gel which can interfere with lubrication and oil flow.

Small amounts of the alkaline-type compounding from the oils in List B mixed with the oils containing acidic components in List A can:
1. Cause stable emulsions to form whenwater contamination occurs.
2. Cause reaction between compounds to form grease-like, oil-insoluble deposits that may block filters and small oil passages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back