cleaned MAFS with CRC MAFS cleaner....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some of the manuals/TSBs specifically state "DO NOT" touch the wires with anything, and only spray them due to their sensitivity.
dunno.gif

Either way just be carefull when cleaning them.

I'm pretty sure that the stuff didn't dissolve any brush hairs. I was concerned about that too, and checked it for a long time before I touched the MAFs wires with the brush. Some people I know use q-tips, but the little cotton strands come off and get stuck in the wires too easily, and make a mess...no such danger with a pretty new artist's brush, and if you touch the wires very, very softly, touching won't do any harm.

I agree, though; in any case, you can't be too careful...it's a tiny wire wound around a bobbin, and the whole thing is delicate:

-

I saw this stuff in an ad where they used it on a M3, +10whp on the dyno and a smoother idle. Remembering back to my 5.0 Mustang days I definately wanted to try the stuff, could have used it back then.

I got some and tried it on mumsie's 2001 BMW 530i (E39). Worked great, engine idles better and has more power. Toughest part was removing the darn MAFS.

In socal I think Pepboys, Napa, and Kragen all carry this stuff.

Just picked up a can last night at Pep Boys.

Was wondering after I clean my MAF and IAC, if this could be used similar to Seafoam Deep Creep as a way to clean the intake mani and CC's by spraying into the PVC line (with car running like a seafoam treatment)? Might not work as good as regular Seafoam, but seems like it should do some cleaning.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Anyone know where the MAFs is located on a 99' S-10 GM 4.3??

In the rubber bellows that connects the airbox to the throttle body. Can't miss it.

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:
Do MAP sensors need to be cleaned as well? Asking for my 02' Liberty.

'01 Durango owner here...same engine family, except I have two more cylinders.

MAP sensors do not need to be cleaned, and doing so will probably do more damage than improvement. Basically the MAP sensor is a mylar diaphragm that works against a variable resistor that changes in relation to engine vacuum. There's no air flowing past it like there would be on a MAF sensor.

The only reason to remove a MAP sensor is to replace it if it fails.

I've found on these engines, the throttle bodies gunk up rather quickly. Remove your air silencer and spray the throttle body clean with some quality air intake cleaner, or even carburetor cleaner for that matter. I use BG Air Intake System Cleaner. Best product for the job that I've found.
This will definitely help with a nice smooth idle. Be sure to get the IAC passage (that little cavity on the bottom of the bore) nice and clean as well.

I've been doing mine about every 10,000 miles, and it's definitely nasty when I do clean it.

You'll have to "pedal" the throttle a little when you crank it after doing the cleaning to blow out all the cleaner that ends up in the intake plenum.

Thanks for the info GT Mike. As soon as I get my Jeep back from the dealer I'll give it a shot.

I did use the CRC cleaners (TB and MAF) last night on my '99 Ranger and does run and start much better than it did.

Where do you buy the BG cleaner products? I couldn't find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back