Diehard Gold Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, the battery in the Dodge Grand Caravan failed suddenly. The local Kmart had a blowout clearance sale but no Diehard Gold in group 34 size, so I went with a DieHard Silver.

http://www.kmart.com/diehard-automotive-...p;blockType=G16

What concerns me is several of the Silver Diehards didn't test well in the latest Consumer Reports although its a decent battery on paper and seems to be East Penn/Deka made.

Should I get the Diehard Gold anyway? Dodge Caravans go haywire when the battery goes south, often with little warning.

Totally anecdotal, but I have a silver in my saturn. After 3 years plus a few months I had some tough starts last winter. Tested at AAP, CCA were low. Really expected more out of a Die Hard.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
is the diehard line still a top shelf battery or has the quality come down over the years.

It's made by Johnson Controls just like Motorcraft, Interstate and a bunch of other brands. Overall a good product with the occasional stinker like any other brand.

whenever i need a battery its auto zone gold they have a great warranty and a no bull exchange policy (so far) but we spend a lot of money there with our corporate account so they do treat us well.
In the 80's die hard was the best in my book for the last 20 years or so their quality went down (sears is not at all what it used to be) their warranty was the best Not anymore!

I just bought an auto zone gold for my mothers 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis i paid $90.00 list was $130.00 i think.. Her motorcraft was the original and still tested good!

From what I've read, and heard, is the Diehard Platinum battery is the best, if not one of the best battery replacements on the market.

They are not made by Johnson controls but by another high grade battery manufacturer in the USA. The inner design of these batteries are revolutionary with the sealed plates and acid while the weight of the battery has greatly increased.

I'm sure that a Battery expert will give us the details.

I dont care what consumer reports say i am in the engine business and i see how batteries perform some times we have to crank and crank engines to start them for the first time that is where you see the truth..
But im sure its not the worst one either i have one in the shop that is pretty new i dont remember the brand but it is totally dead under 2 years old

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
Wow! I hope you didn't pay $105 for it!

No way. Minus the core charge I paid around $45.

As I said, it was a blowout clearance, too bad batteries can't be stockpiled like oil.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
It's made by Johnson Controls just like Motorcraft, Interstate and a bunch of other brands.

I don't believe Diehards are made by JC.

Most Diehard batteries are the fully sealed maintenance free design, unlike the JC built units which have removable vent caps.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
It's made by Johnson Controls just like Motorcraft, Interstate and a bunch of other brands.

Most Diehard batteries are the fully sealed maintenance free design, unlike the JC built units which have removable vent caps.

When I worked for Sears they were JC. Also I drive by the Sears Auto Center here on my way to work and I see the same JC truck delivering batteries and picking up cores every week.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

When I worked for Sears they were JC. Also I drive by the Sears Auto Center here on my way to work and I see the same JC truck delivering batteries and picking up cores every week.

So it's ONLY the Platinum which is made by East Penn now??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I left Sears right as the Platinum came out. But the ones I did see come in, were delivered by JC as well.

I remember years ago where sears were getting exide's and a lot of them didn't cut-it. Then they went JC and things got better.
I haven't been there in years... way way before their Platinum line of batteries. Would like to hear more about the Platinum battery. And if I get one (for 1 of the vehicles), I could say "yeah I use Platinum oil & batteries". Is there a Platinum tire?... (I know there's a Silver... DT Arizonian Silver Edition).
I wouldn't mind going Platinum all the way. Wait.... the suv is Diamond Silver in color.

Autozone's Platinum is a sealed AGM. usually worth a few more amp-hours if you do the math. I believe it is East Penn. I've seen the same battery elsewhere under different names. I have purchased two of them and been happy. Only drawback is the warranty--- 3 year full replacement, but no prorate after that.

The AZ price is in every case a few $ less than any of the other labels I've seen it sold under.

I left Sears right as the Platinum came out. But the ones I did see come in, were delivered by JC as well.

That's funny, because they were supposedly made by EnerSys (Odyssey) originally.
confused2.gif

If you have an Advance Auto Parts nearby they offer $40 off $100 purchase online coupon codes. Get a $100 battery for $60. Allows you to get the top of the line battery for way cheaper than anywhere else.

That's funny, because they were supposedly made by EnerSys (Odyssey) originally.
confused2.gif

I remeber in my local Sears, I could see that some AGM batteries were completely different from each other. Some were like the Odyssey, and others resembled the East Penn/DEKA AGM sold in Carquest stores.

I am not sure if that means they have 2 levels of AGM batteries, or if they decided to use a different supplier, and there in the middle of transition from one supplier to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back