2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Nissan Altima, 3.5 SE, 85K miles
This was my neighbors mothers car, whom just passed away recently. He inherited it and there are no service records on it. But, he does know she would take it to a local mom and pop shop she lived near, for service.
I looked up the oil and filter specs and found that most Altima owners use 4.5 qts. of spec'd 5W30 in their favorite synthetic brand and a Purolator Classic L14610 (long) or L14612 (Short) oil filter. I suggested he use MS5K 5W30 with the Puro Classic L14610 oil filter @ 6K mile OCIs.
Opinions?
21.gif

The 3.5 'seems' to be harder on oil, especially if short trips are involved.

Your oil choice is fine, but personally I would not go over 3750 miles on a fill, but that's just me.

It won't care what oil it has as long as the sump stays full and the OCIs are reasonable.

If it were mine though, I would run a high mileage oil and either 14610 or some other variant of the 7317. It will develop leaks eventually.

Quietest oil I have used in mine was Ultra 5w-30. M1 0w-40 is proving to be pretty smooth as well.

Last edited:
Use the bigger filter. Every Nissan that I have seen running the bottle cap, the oil tends to be much darker much faster. I would like to also mention that, thanks to this fantastic sale over at Napa, I threw the 5w-30 napa sythentic in my sister's 3.5. Close to the quietest oil I put in her car so far. Just my
49.gif

My neighbor informed me he is going to put his 1993 GMC up for sale and keep the Altima. A friend of mine, whom is very mechanically inclined, will do a thorough inspection of the car and do all of the fluid changes. I will be there helping in any way I can, which won't be much, but as long as I can sit and do something I'm good.
smile.gif

Any Altima owners out there that has any advice about maintenance is greatly appreciated.

with the small sump and the fact that that engine along with the rest of nissans VQ line are rough on oil i would run a synthetic in it. Our Armada has been running 7-9k OCI's for the last 70k on M1 and mow EDGE FST and that interval is working well. engine is clean and runs great with almost 150k on the clock. It, however has a 7qt sump.

my suggestion would be a syn 5w30 from walmart and a purolator or bosch filter. since the sump is small on that engine i would run a good syn like EDGE, M1, PU, or Synpower and change it every 5-6k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
2006 Nissan Altima, 3.5 SE, 85K miles
This was my neighbors mothers car, whom just passed away recently. He inherited it and there are no service records on it. But, he does know she would take it to a local mom and pop shop she lived near, for service.
I looked up the oil and filter specs and found that most Altima owners use 4.5 qts. of spec'd 5W30 in their favorite synthetic brand and a Purolator Classic L14610 (long) or L14612 (Short) oil filter. I suggested he use MS5K 5W30 with the Puro Classic L14610 oil filter @ 6K mile OCIs.
Opinions?
21.gif

Well IDK if this helps at all. I have an '04 Altima 2.5S(2002-2006 gen/not the 3.5L) and have been very happy with QSGB & Puro Classic 14610. Liking QS oils in my other vehicles too(all being 5W30:

QSUD in the '01 Lexus RX-300
QS DEFY in the Firebird FORMULA V8
QSGB in the Altima 2.5S
The '06 Mazda3 2.0L is still using up the stash of Havoline 5W20 but I may use QS when the stash runs out.

The only synthetic oils that I have used in the Altima is, the blend of straggler qts of synthetic oils that I had in my stash...2qts syn/2.5 qts dino.

I would probably stick with around 5K on that car, but that's just me. I used to run VWB in my VQ35's, Valvoline has always been a favorite with a lot of NISMO fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back